Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2017, 12:54   #1
BHPian

Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Hello everyone,

I want to drive/use my 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi (1.5L petrol) in Delhi-NCR, mostly in Faridabad where I do job. Car is registered on my name in Ludhiana, my hometown (PB 10). Registration was extended for 5 more years in 2015, so car has fitness valid till 2020. I have heard about past news regarding ban on petrol car exceeding 15 years of age in Delhi by NGT, but don't know about its current status. Also, I heard that Delhi has stopped re-registering or extending fitness for next 5 years on 15 years old vehicles which is still possible in other states. Will this affect my usage of PB registered car usage in any way.

So the question is :- Will I face any trouble by traffic cops regarding usage of my Lancer in Delhi-NCR? I will be travelling Faridabad-Delhi-Greater Noida route frequently. I have all valid paperwork including RC (card type), Insurance, Pollution certificate (PUC). I have never faced any problem in Punjab and Chandigarh where I used the car most of the time. Expecting your valuable responses soon.

Prabhjot
Old 8th July 2017, 14:39   #2
BHPian

re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

As far as I know, there was an ask by the NGT (National Green Tribunal) to ban Petrol vehicles over 15 years to ply in the NCR region. This was quashed by the Supreme Court. What was said was, instead of banning by age, it should be by fitness with conformity to emission norms. If my memory does not fail me, this was a couple of years ago.
Old 8th July 2017, 18:52   #3
BHPian

I don't think you will face any trouble by traffic police regarding usage of your PB registered lancer in Delhi-NCR as I myself drive my BR 01 (Patna) registered amaze in Delhi-NCR. Car is daily driven to Noida from Gurgaon, and to Chandigarh twice a month.
In the last 1.5 years I have not faced any trouble by police. Just carry all the necessary papers and you are good to go.
Old 8th July 2017, 20:19   #4
BHPian

@ankitanimesh
I agree with you as currently I use Ritz (PB 10 registered) in Delhi-NCR without any problem. But I am doubtful about using Lancer there as it is more than 15 years old and is just BS2 compliant. When relating both factors with current scenario of Delhi rules, I am doubtful. I am looking for a clear and authentic answer from experts here on Team-bhp.
Old 8th July 2017, 23:11   #5
BHPian

This might open a can of worms, but I would like to see all the old cars taken off the road. They might be fine for a weekend drive, but on a daily basis, it might be too polluting !
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 23:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If your fitness is valid, there are no issues in Delhi with out station numbers, unlike other places. You may be stopped once in a while, but no unwarranted actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
This might open a can of worms, but I would like to see all the old cars taken off the road. They might be fine for a weekend drive, but on a daily basis, it might be too polluting !
Why? Might be? You're talking like the ngt. If the puc is fine, then?
Old 8th July 2017, 23:50   #7
BHPian

We are facing a similar dilemma. We have a Delhi registered Honda City 2003, we were thinking about transferring the ownership of the car before the registration expires to someone in Punjab so we could continue to use it here.

Though I had a few questions in this regard -
1. Do you face any harassment by the Delhi cops because of the out of station registered vehicle?
2. Do you have to pay road tax in Delhi for using the vehicle here longer than a particular period?
3. Is your insurance from Punjab or Delhi?

Quote:
Why do you feel so? I ask because if one has maintained their car well, had it serviced regularly and it adheres to the prescribed pollution norms, why then does it need to be taken off the roads? If anything, make the norms stricter.

I ask this because I get my Honda City serviced every 5,000 kilometers and maintain the car really well. It has never failed a pollution test.

Last edited by sibot : 8th July 2017 at 23:51.
Old 9th July 2017, 09:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Hello everyone,

I want to drive/use my 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi (1.5L petrol) in Delhi-NCR, mostly in Faridabad where I do job. Car is registered on my name in Ludhiana, my hometown (PB 10). Registration was extended for 5 more years in 2015, so car has fitness valid till 2020. I have heard about past news regarding ban on petrol car exceeding 15 years of age in Delhi by NGT, but don't know about its current status. Also, I heard that Delhi has stopped re-registering or extending fitness for next 5 years on 15 years old vehicles which is still possible in other states. Will this affect my usage of PB registered car usage in any way.

So the question is :- Will I face any trouble by traffic cops regarding usage of my Lancer in Delhi-NCR? I will be travelling Faridabad-Delhi-Greater Noida route frequently. I have all valid paperwork including RC (card type), Insurance, Pollution certificate (PUC). I have never faced any problem in Punjab and Chandigarh where I used the car most of the time. Expecting your valuable responses soon.

Prabhjot
As of now, no issue, as there is no strict enforcement about it. You can use the car as long as the cops don't start enforcing the NGT order on the streets. You are right about the RTO process though - deregistering old cars and not extending registration of cars older than 15 years.

If you see/hear about the enforcement drive, might be a good idea to eventually sell it off in the hometown or send it back.

Quote:
What about the pollution that is caused while making that new car that pollutes marginally lesser than an older well maintained car?
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Logically once your Lancer has a valid registration extension, it should not be a problem. But the ban on petrol cars over 15 years of age, is bound to be implemented sooner or later. So, ideally if you are ok with using it till the NGT order is enforced, you could. But soon you may need to change to a more recent model year.

You didn't have a problem with the Ritz as it is well within the 15 year window.
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 13:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly can't agree with you like others. My lancer is very well maintained, just 74500 kms on odometer today. Bought it back in 1999 just because it was a beautiful car and still is. Drove mostly to drive/enjoy, not to commute.
Family has had other cars for daily usage. As far as I remember, we had a 1994 Maruti 1000, my dad's daily, covered 1,28,000 Kms and sold it to my Chacha in 2004. Then got a new Maruti 800 which travelled 1,00,000 kms in 5 years. Finally got a Ritz VDi in 2009 with 148000 Kms on odo today. Dad's 4th gen Honda City CVT covered 64000 kms in 3 years.

So the point is that I strongly believe that impact of such well maintained, loved, less used cars is negligible comparing with a number of poorly maintained, polluting, smoky modern cars we can spot on roads daily. Age shouldn't be the deciding factor for a car's fate. What about old fiat lovers, car collectors, vintage cars. Will you dispose off a vintage Rolls Royce to scrapyard because it has passed its 15 years of age and can be a can of worms? coming from the heart of a car enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
As of now, no issue, as there is no strict enforcement about it. You can use the car as long as the cops don't start enforcing the NGT order on the streets.
If you see/hear about the enforcement drive, might be a good idea to eventually sell it off in the hometown or send it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Logically once your Lancer has a valid registration extension, it should not be a problem.
Alright, thanks for your valuable views. I think I will bring Lancer here in Faridabad and send Ritz back home. I will see and update here if I face any trouble about its road worthiness in Delhi-NCR. I am excited about driving lancer daily as I am bored of driving Ritz diesel. Perhaps because of its very narrow power band (2100-3600rpm) of ~1500 rpm. Although, I enjoy its turbo kick-back.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th July 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Merged
PSM_360 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 21:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving an 18-year old PB registered petrol car in Delhi-NCR?

Since the Lancer is registered in Punjab State, its papers can be regularly validated by the respective RTO for fitness etc. It has to be driven to that place hence. As far as the NCR is concerned, fifteen year plus old cars registered in Delhi are required to be de-registered as per the NGT order. The cars hence registered in Delhi and the NCR cannot be given fitness certificates or NOC for moving out if these are 15 plus years old. This applies to all old Delhi registered cars plying anywhere in India, if the car has not been issued a NOC, prior to its being moved out of Delhi. The old cars that have got Delhi NOC before the NGT order and have been moved out elsewhere are safe.

Back to the topic, since they have not yet started implementing physical checks, you can be safe plus your car is not registered in Delhi (NCR). Its almost impossible to conduct physical checks. The only extra work the RTO's appear to be doing is that they have cancelled registration of all such cars on paper (risky to use if involved in an accident or any criminal case) in their records. And that they are not issuing fitness certificates for 15 plus year older cars.

As far as someone saying here that all older cars need to be scrapped, its not tenable but for the NGT order. There is no logic in scrapping older and more fit and cleaner cars. Some newer cars smoke in the second or third year of (ab)use.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th July 2017 at 21:16.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 07:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why? Might be? You're talking like the ngt. If the puc is fine, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Why do you feel so? I ask because if one has maintained their car well, had it serviced regularly and it adheres to the prescribed pollution norms, why then does it need to be taken off the roads? If anything, make the norms stricter.

I ask this because I get my Honda City serviced every 5,000 kilometers and maintain the car really well. It has never failed a pollution test.
I understand this is a very touchy topic, and has been discussed quite at length in other threads. I absolutely agree that if its perfectly legal to drive the car and if I have maintained it well, why shouldn't I drive the car. My comment was more in line with the amount of pollution that can be felt in the cities. And a well maintained 2000 era car, which is probably BS II/Euro II compliant will be atleast TWICE as polluting as an BS IV car.
Its entirely possible that the individual driving an older car might have done much more than others around in helping the environment, I just feel that everyone should be doing their bit to help out the tress and the bees !

Quote:
What about the pollution that is caused while making that new car that pollutes marginally lesser than an older well maintained car?
That would be like saying we shouldn't use paper bags instead of plastic bags as paper is made from trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Certainly can't agree with you like others. My lancer is very well maintained, just 74500 kms on odometer today. Bought it back in 1999 just because it was a beautiful car and still is. Drove mostly to drive/enjoy, not to commute.

So the point is that I strongly believe that impact of such well maintained, loved, less used cars is negligible comparing with a number of poorly maintained, polluting, smoky modern cars we can spot on roads daily. Age shouldn't be the deciding factor for a car's fate. What about old fiat lovers, car collectors, vintage cars. Will you dispose off a vintage Rolls Royce to scrapyard because it has passed its 15 years of age and can be a can of worms? coming from the heart of a car enthusiast.
The Lance was a fabulous car with a phenomenal pedigree. It was rated higher without fail by every car mag at that time than the 1st Gen Honda City. My comment might have felt personal, as I commented about a car enthusiasts car ! But it was not.
Vintage bikes and cars are a different league altogether. We don't need to scrap them, just take them off the road, like limit the amount of KMs they can run in a year, or add some kind of cess if you want to take the car out on a road. No point applying doing the PUC test on them !

All in all, I am a car enthusiast myself and I love the new car that I had just bought ! I also recognise that the car is an inefficient mode of transportation, both in terms of space it occupies and the environment. I'm no way a tree hugger, but as I had said before, I do feel that some drastic steps are needed for a better future. And as they say, charity begins at home ! And there will always be arguments and counter arguments, different opinions all seemingly valid and this will be a never ending thread. Peace Out !
Old 10th July 2017, 07:40   #13
BANNED

1. I've been driving around a Ludhiana registered car in Delhi for 3 years now and never been stopped by a cop.

2. You would only be really stopped by the cop if it's blatantly obvious that your car is too old, (something broken like a light or a mirror or probably a very dull paint) . So if you have maintained it well it should be good enough. To be on the safe side for your yourself and for the love of the environment, I'd suggest keep getting the PUC check every 3 months.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That would be like saying we shouldn't use paper bags instead of plastic bags as paper is made from trees.
Nope, that's more like saying, start using a new plastic bag as the current one is a month old.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I.......
I'd say that this argument is a strawman. Not every 15 yr old vehicle deserves to be junked. This would probably benefit the car industry more than the environment. That being said, not every 7 yr old vehicle deserves to run considering how some people maintain their cars.
I do agree that some cars with old tech in them need to be binned. Case in point, our '99 Zen (carburetted) which made you feel pretty sick if you were unfortunate enough to be standing behind it during cold starts. It conformed to the pollution norms from 18 yrs ago but you could not run it with a clear conscience in today's world. We scrapped it.
My 10 yr old swift, however, practically sprouts flowers and rainbows from it's exhaust and I'd be really miffed if I was told to scrap it.

Quote:
It would be interesting to actually know the environmental impact of manufacturing a new car versus running a well maintained old one.

Most Viewed