Team-BHP - Ola driver kidnaps customer; calls Ola for ransom!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Ola driver kidnaps customer; calls Ola for ransom! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/188798-ola-driver-kidnaps-customer-calls-ola-ransom-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4237522)
Uber already has a facility where you can share the status of your trip with your emergency contacts. But I believe, you need to do this for each trip.

Yes - you can always share the details - but talking aloud on the phone so that the driver hears it is so as to deter them from trying anything funny. I think the suggestion is a very good one - just the fact that the driver knows this passenger has given details to another person will surely act as a deterrent.

in the Ola app, there is a setting called Emergency contacts.
There is a small slider marked: Always share your ride details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4239412)
in the Ola app, there is a setting called Emergency contacts.
There is a small slider marked: Always share your ride details.

Did that!

Now that I check in the Uber app, I can't even find an option to add Emergency Contacts.

Just an option under Privacy Settings to Remove Saved Contacts. Will check with Uber about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4237811)
And if highly suspicious, take a pic of the car as it's approaching you (ensure driver sees you taking a pic) and whatsapp it to your family. Have used & recommended this tip to many people.

:thumbs up That's a very good step to take to deter any malicious intentions.

I also suggest people going one step further; that is, after you get in the car make a call (or just pretend to make a call, if the other person does not pick your call) and (the following part is important) speak in a language which the driver understands "I have left from here, will reach *insert location* in *approximate time*, have also messaged you the cab's number."

With this, the driver knows that someone is expecting you and if he does anything wrong, he would be getting tracked very soon.

Note to Mods: Sorry, just noticed someone has already posted this as a possible remedy. Please delete if deemed unnecessary.

-Bhargav

Uber let's you sign on from multiple devices at the same time. So i keep my wifey's account logged in on one phone so i can keep track when she's traveling

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4242657)
Uber let's you sign on from multiple devices at the same time. So i keep my wifey's account logged in on one phone so i can keep track when she's traveling

You can also ask you wife to share her trip with you so that you can track her trip, while being logged into your Uber account.

Since 2018 started many disgruntled Ola drivers are moving to Uber in Bangalore. Holding back incentives or drastically reducing it & going against what's been conveyed is their main grouse.

Uber OTOH has kept them happy and many drivers say it's an international company and they have rules etc unlike OLA.

Not sure if this is the same scenario in other cities.