Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 13:43   #1
BHPian

Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drunk!

I came across this article which mentions that the driver of a vehicle, cab driver included, has to ensure that none of the passengers are drunk.

I cant understand how this proposed amendment to the Motor Vehicles Act, if passed, is enforceable or even required? What is it trying to achieve?

How are people who step out for a drink expected to reach home since cab drivers will also be required to follow these rules?

PS. I am a teetotaller who regularly ends up being the designated driver since I prefer to drop my friends home than have them take a cab

Last edited by udainxs : 15th August 2017 at 13:46.
udainxs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers are not dru

I saw this article too and was quite flummoxed at what it was trying to achieve and what the rationale was. Worldwide, it is recognised that anyone drinking is better off returning home in a cab or with a designated driver.
If this rule is implemented, then people will be forced to use public transport or autos or some may even risk driving back.
If the move is done to protect taxi drivers, then there are better ways to do that.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bizarre. That's the only word I can think off. Imagine a bus driver having to check all his 50 passengers.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 09:34   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drun

There is no way such a silly rule will ever lead to implementation. It's a regressive move that could actually encourage drunk driving.

Plus, it's not like any regular driver has a breath analyser in his car to check the alcohol levels of his passengers. He can always feign ignorance.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 09:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aren't drun

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
I came across this article
Not sure how much to trust Overdrive.

On another note, the rule is said to be from Kerala:

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...aw-327835.html

But does any one know of this rule from Pune: sober passengers can be booked for abetment of DUI:
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...y-to-pay-fine/

Last edited by condor : 16th August 2017 at 09:55.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:03   #6
BHPian

Re: Proposed Motor Vehicles Act Amendment: Driver is responsible for ensuring passengers are not dru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
If this rule is implemented, then people will be forced to use public transport or autos or some may even risk driving back.
If its an MV act, I suppose it would apply to all vehicles alike and not just cars. Since Public transport and autos are also driver driven, the law will apply to them too if I am not wrong. Given this, people who drink would need to stay put where ever they are till they get sober
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think this is irresponsible journalism. The actual act proposes to fine/book the others(passengers) in a vehicle being driven by a drunk driver in addition to the drunk person. These guys have reported the exact opposite.
reignofchaos is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:07   #8
BHPian

Isn't it better off (and logical) the other way around?
I mean, before you get in the car ensure the driver is not drunk.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 11:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is irresponsible journalism. The actual act proposes to fine/book the others(passengers) in a vehicle being driven by a drunk driver in addition to the drunk person. These guys have reported the exact opposite.
If the above is true, we should stop discussing about this thread .

For the original thread, here is my theory.

I am convinced that it has to be a data scientists who can come with these rules. Only he can defend this rule based on data that most or all accidents had at least 1 fellow passenger who was drunk. Hence remove them out of the equation we will have accident free India to a large extent.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 14:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is a very regressive proposal, if it is true. I can understand if the motive is to stop consumption by passengers while on a trip, and for which a driver can definitely take action or even deny travel. But if this means people who are out to have a good time cannot take a safe ride back, the folks who are suggesting this should be sent to some mental asylum

Atleast in Bangalore after the taxi services opened up, there is a dramatic drop in number of folks who drive to or from a night out. Right from college kids to senior and influential folks, everybody seems to be using it. This according to me was the biggest positive that the call taxi revolution brought in.

I can't even imagine the plight of stretches like Indira Nagar if cabs stop hailing folks from the joints in and around there.

In short this is just utter stupidity and will encourage more folks into driving under influence, especially short distances which is equally dangerous.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
I came across this article which mentions that the driver of a vehicle, cab driver included, has to ensure that none of the passengers are drunk.
Given the revenue in liquor sale. I have serious doubts if this would see light of day.

After the liquor ban on highways, there also happened a 'denotifying of highways in cities'. How many roads were denotified as a part of this? Nobody knows.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 19:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

@VW2010: In Bangalore, a number of school bus drivers and ambulance drivers are caught drunk driving. Do the authorities expect children and sick people to check the drivers before getting onto the vehicle?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 19:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a very regressive proposal, if it is true. I can understand if the motive is to stop consumption by passengers while on a trip, and for which a driver can definitely take action or even deny travel.
+1.

If implemented, this would be really good. Also, just like -actually, more than smoking in public places, we need a ban on drinking in public places.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 20:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1.

If implemented, this would be really good. Also, just like -actually, more than smoking in public places, we need a ban on drinking in public places.
There is a ban on drinking in public places, which is in effect now. This law says you cant travel in a cab, "after" you have taken your drink.

Super regressive I'd say. I can only hope its misinterpreted news. And its the other way round, even passengers, or RC Owner should be booked if a driver is drunk.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 20:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
There is a ban on drinking in public places, which is in effect now. This law says you cant travel in a cab, "after" you have taken your drink.

Super regressive I'd say. I can only hope its misinterpreted news. And its the other way round, even passengers, or RC Owner should be booked if a driver is drunk.
Private long distance buses have this rule that passengers cannot consume alcohol in the bus. So a similar rule for cabs and tourist vehicles can and should be implemented (if not already there).

However, who and how can consumption in private vehicles be curbed ?
In US they have this rule that there cannot be an open bottle of alcohol inside a vehicle ( can be in the boot)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks