Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu: Now mandatory for you to carry original driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
3.If e-adhaar letter, which can be printed any number of times, can serve as a identity, we can always have a certified-verifiable digital copy of the licence.

4.When we stand in the police station for hours to get back any original document we would understand how our system works.
Good points. Basis point 3 we could take any number of prints.
Not all cops are bad. But the ones who are mean will find out ways to mint money from the ones who are stopped and interrogated. Even if you show them all documents, what if they take the original and charge you stating that it is just a color photocopy and still demand you to bring the original? Eventually you would have to either bribe and leave or just stay put. (There was a video on whatsapp of such incident).
Old 29th September 2017, 12:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update - it seems they are asking for original everything
I was stopped today randomly, and then threatened with seizure of my DL and RC because i didn't have the original of my Insurance. Cop asked me for money, didn't give a receipt and asked me to leave.
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 22:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... i didn't have the original of my Insurance. ...
The original of my insurance came out of my own laser printer. I hope cops have heard of buying/renewing insurance online!
Old 29th September 2017, 22:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The original of my insurance came out of my own laser printer. I hope cops have heard of buying/renewing insurance online!
That's the same thing I thought of when I read greenhorn's post.

Get a color print out (the name of the insurance company in the letterhead would be in color mostly) to convince the cops that it is the real deal.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 16:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was stopped today randomly, and then threatened with seizure of my DL and RC because i didn't have the original of my Insurance. Cop asked me for money, didn't give a receipt and asked me to leave.
My concern has always been about some dirty cop taking away my originals. Although I have not been stopped any time recently, my first offering are the copies and not the originals.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:34   #36
BHPian

Finally Tamil Nadu police will start accepting Digital Licence. However, the license has to be produced incase of of vehicle impounding. I do not understand why this is necessary, when everything is available online! This could become a tool for harassment.

Quote:
Clearing the doubt whether motor vehicle riders will be exempted from prosecution if they use the national digital locker system called ‘Digilocker’ instead of carrying their original licence, the Director General of Police issued a statement that this facility was valid.The app was launched in July, 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Centre-certified app can be downloaded onto the mobile phone which would help store documents, including licence, on DigiLocker which, when shown on demand to the department, is considered as the original.

This is mainly aimed at helping one consolidate all important papers at one place and avoid carrying hard copies of the documents.However, previously the state police were confused because under the Motor Vehicle Act, every motorist is to carry original driving licence and according to section 130 of the Act, the driver of the motor vehicle in any public place shall, on demand by any police officer in uniform, produce his/her licence for examination by any police official.

After complaints were filed from across the state seeking clarification on the issues, the statement said the Digilocker app is also valid. Explaining the app, a senior police officer said one has to link his or her Aadhaar car and the cell number, provided the inspecting officer is also registered as a requester on the app to cross-check the documents.

The system provides 1GB of storage space in which users can store identification cards issued by multiple authorities, education certificates, PAN cards, driving licence as well as vehicle ownership documents and is part of the NDA government’s Digital India push to curtail the use of physical documents.

However, in certain cases including impounding, the original licence has to be produced, the statement added.
Source : http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...e-1858887.html

I do not know how much our police are educated to accept Digital Licence, considering I had a bad experience recently with a TTE in a train who insisted for an original ID card even after showing 'mAdhaar', which I refused to produce (although I had it).

Most Viewed