Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 14:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Discrimination because you have a cheap car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
....one can easily park luxury cars on the porch itself and don't move it until they really have to.... I get salutes and acknowledgements everytime in the BMW and never in other cars....
100% true from my own experience. I always hook the key to my jeans or belt while driving. Once I forgot to leave the key in the car while stepping to the Shangri La Bangalore for a lunch meeting. Valet was supposed to take it to the basement. While returning from lunch after a 3 hour meeting, I was shocked to see the car at the same spot, realizing my mistake of going with the key !! Valet manager said, "it was not tough to locate you at the restaurant, but we thought let the "brand" remain at the main entrance". I told him it was genuinely not intentional

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
This is subconscious conditioning of our population. Big car = Bada aadmi. Just like the petrol pumps expect the bikes/scooter owners to open/shut their fuel caps,whereas car owners get special service.
I am in fact against that 'conditioning', but sometimes you have to enjoy the moment as long as it can last, considering everyone going through the same torture in the bumper to bumper traffic, pot holed roads, never ending road works etc. no matter what you drive
shajufx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Unlike Zens and Maruti 800's, Indicas and Altos have not reached classic status yet, along with tons of bread and butter cars like Santros, Wagon R's etc. While the masses generally give status by the cost of a car, you would assume that at least enthusiasts like you and me would appreciate a well maintained car, no matter what make or model. Have any of you been discriminated against by fellow enthusiasts because you drive a plebeian car?
My opinion is that, what I drive is my wish, and my privilege. I give a crap what the service stations, petrol pumps, star hotel valets, fellow enthusiasts think of me & my car.
Service stations might put my car in a low priority, as they see less returns for their time spent in my car. Its okay. Star hotel attendants consider my car out of place? I want to see their own personal vehicles to see whether their comparison is justified (not their owners' vehicles). I drive a car, that is paid for in full by cash. I do not like paying EMIs for car, and I do not intend to pay one anytime in the future.

On a philosophical note, this thought that others think of low of my possessions / others discriminate me, is a rat-on-the wheel thought. Whatever we get, there will be someone who has something better than us.
hybridpetrol is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike Zens and Maruti 800's, Indicas and Altos have not reached classic status yet, along with tons of bread and butter cars like Santros, Wagon R's etc. While the masses generally give status by the cost of a car, you would assume that at least enthusiasts like you and me would appreciate a well maintained car, no matter what make or model. Have any of you been discriminated against by fellow enthusiasts because you drive a plebeian car?
You have very well pointed out the silent and indirect discrimination faced by small car owners at the hands of service stations and garages. Until a couple of years back I used to drive Maruti 800 and have experienced the indifferent behaviour. On one fine day I took the car for washing at renowned garage in the city and waited for my turn. Just before the last car ahead of mine was washed a guy appeared on the scene with his Ford Endeavour

The chap engaged in washing immediately stopped whatever he was doing and headed straight towards the Endeavour owner. After having a brief chat with his 'privileged' customer he came to me and said "Sir could you please wait little more further as I quickly vacuum the Endeavour. I won't take much time". I stayed adamant and told him to first wash my car as I had come earlier and had been waiting since last 30 mins. To which he reluctantly agree but he washed my car half-heartedly in about 20 mins time and then went on to clean the Endeavour. All this definitely made me feel foolish and the least I could do was that I stopped coming to the very garage once for all.

Although such incidents do happen on and off but this doesn't mean that everyone has similar kind of mentality. I've see many thorough professionals for whom every customer is the king no matter how much worth of business he is providing to them.

Cheers.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 16:38   #19
BHPian

My thoughts on this topic:
1. It only makes business sense for a garage owner to give more importance to a vehicle which is expected to provide higher business - whether the car is expensive or cheap.
2. Talking about general discrimination on basis of the pricing of the vehicle - speaking from my personal experience:
a. Have driven my Figo to multiple malls / 5-star hotels - have never faced any issues - nor have I faced any issues on the roads.
b. Have driven my Ecosport (on t-permit) to almost all 5-stars, malls, housing societies, etc in Mumbai - professionally and also in personal capacity - have faced an unbelievable amount of discrimination - just because I driving a cab.
So with me discrimination has happened not on basis of the car cost - as the Ecosport costs more than twice than that the Figo - but on the basis of the profession/social status of that person. General assumption of people is: Cab=Driver=Illiterate=Poor + blue-collar job means Respect=0.

I had loads of really entertaining discussions with such people - while making them realize what type of person they are dealing with!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 17:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a different perspective. While I generally agree with most of the posts that owners of small cars may be discriminated against, my perspective is from the owner of a tyre store trying to ensure the same kind of treatment to all our customers.

While I may have the view that all cars are the same and all customers are equal, my technicians dont share that opinion.

drmohitg mentioned how he tips the security guard who gives him some VIP parking and treatment. Nothing wrong in that, but that further enhances the attitude in many technicians/security guards, etc that people in bigger cars should get better treatment.

Internally, I know that some of the more money minded technicians in a tyre shop will try to drop everything they are doing to go and service the bigger car in anticipation of a bigger tip!

It is very very difficult to control this behaviour of the technicians and I think this is because of our behaviour. When owners of bigger cars stop giving extra large tips, then this kind of behaviour will reduce drastically.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 17:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

Sharing something I wrote in another thread a few days back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
These two instances made me wonder if valet attendants discriminate against the vehicle type depending on the perceived value.
They probably link the car's value to the driver's tipping values!

There's a higher chance of getting a Rs. 50 tip from someone who drives a E-Class as compared to a Nano... and so forth.

Next time keep a fat stack of cash clearly visible on your dashboard as you pull up to the entrance, and watch them fight over who gets to park the car

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th September 2017 at 18:05.
Rehaan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:33   #22
BHPian

Yes, I have been subjected to discrimination at service stations. By who ? AV motors (authorised fiat service centre in Hyderabad). Why ? because i owned a Palio S10.

The experience i had with these guys is still fresh in my mind, something I will never forget in my life.

Back in 2015 when i bought an S10 went to AV motors as they had a better reputation than Tejaswi motors for replacing the timing belt/kit, radiator belt, AC belt and major service as the car has done close 65 K Km at the time of purchase. They were attending only the lineas and puntos without even inquiring about my car. I had a tough time dealing with these guys and even their service level was below average. Only one mechanic was trained for the palio (that's what they told me) and he had the liberty of rejecting my car for service right on the face of the SA. As the parts were crucial for longevity of the car I couldn't risk changing them outside. They took 15 days for this job but still missed some important complaints i have asked to work upon.

I was probably the only one being treated like that as i could see how enthusiastic they were with the punto and linea owners. I can go on and on but I will stop here.

I am glad I am being treated like a king now. Why ? I own a Baleno now

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 12th September 2017 at 18:34. Reason: Added text
Abhi_abarth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Before the world was attacked by the P.C parade (political correctness), most of us were aware that almost everyone has a bias for/against certain things. I do not like certain brands of cars and then I do like certain brands of cars. A friend of mine is a huge huge fanboy of a certain brand and never leaves an opportunity to crap on the brand that I have though he doesn't know the first thing about it, I was indifferent to it at first but later I thought I'll have some fun at his expense as well and then I did the same to him by complaining on that car's issues when I sat in it. It used to be sort of acidic-ribbing of each other on anything from gadgets to automobiles, I couldn't care less but its about the only way we know to interact.

As far as the subject matter goes, yes the bias is very much there and that is two-prong.. one because of an individual's tendency to like/dislike certain things, no harm there. Secondly when a business comes into play, generally it is known that owners of expensive automobiles are the ones who go into expensive mods for their cars.. anything from chrome/multi-color wraps, detailing schemes, underbody coating, basically anything that has least ROI to the point where they are sometimes useless, but to the business that sale matters. Few do overspend on their trusted, much loved cars like 800, Santro, Polo etc.. and when the business smells a potential cash-car they then treat the owner like they do any high-end customer. No blame to the business owners here either, I can relate entirely to their logic.

Biases, superiority-complexes, inferiority-complexes, ego etc are part of everything that is human about us.. we grow and we learn in due course that in life for happiness, nothing matters as much as loving what you have and loving what you do. Most of the bourgeois like myself, can get there only in stages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Next time keep a fat stack of cash clearly visible on your dashboard as you pull up to the entrance, and watch them fight over who gets to park the car
More than anything, I'd bet they'll all be praying that the owner forgets that the cash is laid out on the dashboard and then further forgets he ever had it :P

Last edited by dark.knight : 12th September 2017 at 18:39.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 19:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have any of you been discriminated against by fellow enthusiasts because you drive a plebeian car?
Well, plenty of times. My usual daily drive is a humble Spark. Whatever the car, I never opt for valet parking. Even at posh hotels, I will insist the valet to direct me to the parking or ask him to accompany me. Car doesn't matter.

Once I had a chance to keep a German car with me (swapped with dad's colleague), and the moment I drove up in my own society, the watchmen stood up from their seats and saluted me. When dad rolled down the window, the look on the watchmen's face was worth taking a photo of.

Yesterday I was in a Czech car. I visited a good 5-star and the people there know my family (non-tippers who come in Spark); so when I drove up to the lobby to drop the other family members, they were surprised to see me come in an expensive car! Needless to say, their attitude has changed.

Since many years I have learnt to surprise people who judge people on their cars. The reverse is also however true. At a place where I have been going since I was a kid (literally since i was 3 yrs old), the manager always gets us a table despite the crowd/waiting people. It's not like the owners of the restaurant and us are good friends, but we have been their loyal patrons since the last 20 years. Incase the owner (founder, now the manager's father) is around, he makes it a point to come meet us and ask about the service.

My local garage will not paste a sticker with their name on my car because they know that I don't like it. After a routine service, I went to pick up the car and the manager was busy directing a guy to remove the sticker. Despite me not instructing, I overheard the manager say "Kisi bhai gaadi pe sticker laga, but ye gaadi pe nahi, inko bas service aacha de. Agar naam kharab hua toh ye jitna references dete hai, usse double leke jayenge" ("You can put sticker on any car except this car, just give them good service. If our reputation is spoilt, he will take away more than double the references he gives!) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
I had loads of really entertaining discussions with such people - while making them realize what type of person they are dealing with!
+1, At times even I had to drive down in my cab and the way I got treated is super funny (now that I recollect, it wasn't funny then)! Just makes my day. Especially if I drive down there in my Abarth the next time.

Last edited by blackwasp : 12th September 2017 at 19:37.
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

folks saying more money from a big car - Just wanted to know if the labour rates for workshop bills are calculated differently based on the car segment.
At least I did not benefit from any such financial reverse discrimination, because i used to be charged labour charges which were at par with TASC rates in the earlier shop. I still pay around the same at my new place, but these guys give me a near perfect car every time after a service, instead of the old place who could be only bothered to fix medium to high criticality functional issues, and blame the rest on design faults.

FYI, I spend around 40K a year in maintenance (with 12K running per year) , of which a big component is labour charges mostly because I am very adamant about having everything perfectly functional (even when the workshop says, leave it like that saar, the car will survive). I have no illusions of being a big spender compared to your average german car customer, but I am pretty sure I do spend more than the average indica owner.

I do have a story of things happening the other way round also - once when my car was getting repaired after an accident, i borrowed a friend's Spark, and instantly noticed that overtaking was a lot more harder. It was not for the lack of power or driveability, but apparently a when you are trying to make a guy on the other side of a 2 lane highway yield while overtaking, a spark is a lot less intimidating than an Indica. I got this answer from my friend who owned the spark, whose other car was a Scorpio, for whom the difference was even more significant!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 07:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

While it is true that a luxury car owner receives more "pleasantries", I have never felt the service lacking when I drive a budget car. I would say your personal presentation and attitude also play a big role on how you get treated. I am not saying there is no discrimination but it is not that much when it comes to big vs small car compared to say taxi driver vs car owner (or the truly humiliating flying coach vs business class).

If I tip say Rs 100 as a luxury car owner, I get a simple nod of appreciation but when I tip the same 100 as regular hatch driver, there is a meltdown. So yes, there are many reasons why I enjoy driving my hatch also.
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 13:37   #27
BHPian

Re: Discrimination because you have a cheap car!

This discrimination works in the reverse too. I was once driving my Indigo, quite a few years back, when a biker who was tailgating me, crashed into my bumper, when I had to brake hard as the car ahead me stopped all of a sudden. He damaged my bumper and I find suddenly quite a few locals who ganged up on me, and were putting the blame on me. That was because I was driving a car and obviously the biker had to be excused. Here in Kerala if a high end car is involved, the public sympathy is with the underdog, obviously the cheaper ride. I remember an incident when I had parked my car in the side of BMW, and I walked past it to enter the shop, when I see the doorman sort spring to attention and open the door for me, I was wondering and then I realised that he thought I had come in the BMW, of course the class distinction does exist.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 14:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

OT!

And this is also why the Tata Nano flopped despite being a very competent car for Indian conditions. In India, a car is seen as a sign of 'having arrived' in life. And people in cheap cars are perceived to be those who can't afford anything better, convenience, practicality be damned.

It's not the right mindset to have but that's how it is here.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 14:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not at a garage, but I most definitely see a difference on the road.

Well, the bigger cars will lead to bigger bills. Not that I condone this kind of behaviour.
I see this sort of discrimination at several places. The Phoenix Mall for example will permit owners of luxo-barges (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, LR etc.) to park on level 2 while others have to find a spot on levels 4-7. Many 5 star hotels and fine dining restaurants will park luxo-barges at their gate but other cars would be parked a couple of lanes away.

But who are we to complain. In a country where the ability to speak 'proper' English is considered a sign of "education", "intelligence" and "refinement" and where the colour of your skin determines your "marriage index", being judged by the size and marque of my car is the least of my concern.

I'd rather be valued for my ethics and values than for the brand of my clothes, shoes, watch or the car I drive and if others don't see it my way, well that's their problem.

Last edited by navin : 13th September 2017 at 14:15.
navin is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 14:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Back in the mid 90's, we used to go to a drive-in restaurant at Coimbatore as a family in our Maruti 800. A brilliant car that gave my dad no real mechanical troubles at all. But when Daewoo Cielos and Opel Astras and the Ford Escorts started entering our market, all the servers at the restaurant - who knew us well, as we were quite regular there, started giving us second-degree treatment. We noticed differences in the tone they spoke, their smile and even the tumblers we were offered - glass tumblers for us and thermocol tumblers for those in expensive cars.

This irked us all a bit, but pretty sure this was not one of the points considered when my dad changed his car. But after we upgraded to an Esteem in '97, we visited that restaurant again to see the royal treatment, and felt contended with our new and esteemed presence! But the tips we paid the servers din't upgrade anyway!

Back then, as a kid, that was a proud moment for me - Simple (and silly) pleasures of life

Last edited by aravind.anand : 13th September 2017 at 14:46.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed