Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 15:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Discrimination because you have a cheap car!

When we moved to our current apartment, we had 2 hatchbacks of which one was a Nano. Our neighbors owned a variety of cars; one person (with multiple apartments) had a few big German cars (model numbers ending equal to or greater than 5).

Now we have 2 security guards; 1 each at the front and the rear of the building. One of those guards had a habit of standing and saluting every time any member passed, the other used to salute the bigger cars and their owner. I specifically told the guard saluting me not to do so and he bemusedly agreed.
During the first festival season, (as with earlier places we lived) we got our kids to wish the security people and offer them sweets. The servants of our big car neighbour handed them some money.

While the saluting of the big cars has not changed, I do note that one of the guards continues to fish for tips. The other is not bothered much, though he does not refuse any tips either. However, the other is definitely kinder and more helpful to my kids since that day.
Perhaps most people these days are judged by how successful they are/ how much money they make. The biggest visible indicators here are real estate/ cars. Some old fashioned people probably look at other more personal or social aspects, not always related to money. This however is more subjective and wont change till we use money as a benchmark to measure success or achievements.
selfdrive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 16:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
While it is true that a luxury car owner receives more "pleasantries", I have never felt the service lacking when I drive a budget car. I would say your personal presentation and attitude also play a big role on how you get treated.
I completely agree with this! The chances of being treated well for pleasant behavior and attitude, even if you are driving a budget car are pretty high.

That said, what you drive define you kind of scenario is present pretty much everywhere. My friend here is often assumed as a Uber driver because she drive a Honda Vezel (which is kind of a national Uber car in Singapore)
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Have you ever been treated negatively because of your car / bike?-screen-shot-20170913-4.06.53-pm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Unlike Zens and Maruti 800's, Indicas and Altos have not reached classic status yet, along with tons of bread and butter cars like Santros, Wagon R's etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I see this sort of discrimination at several places. The Phoenix Mall for example will permit owners of luxo-barges (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, LR etc.) to park on level 2 while others have to find a spot on levels 4-7. Many 5 star hotels and fine dining restaurants will park luxo-barges at their gate but other cars would be parked a couple of lanes away.
I don't think they have reached classic status yet,
But whenever I visit Phoenix Mills Mall here in Mumbai, they just seem to look at my car like 'Who the hell drives one today?' , which eventually translates to smiles and thumbs up from fellow German drivers.

While on the other side of the story, its at traffic light that some owners are pissed off when I'm ahead of them. And starts honking even when there are close to 10 seconds on the red light timer. They get even more pissed when i overtake them on the Mumbai Pune Expressway.

Though when we go on drives, my German driving friends in KL gladly pass on the keys of their cars to me to get the mechanical feel of my 800 and smilingly says "Now I know why you don't upgrade".

But the 5 speed 800 feels more exclusive now
johannskaria is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 20:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Cars are treated as an extension of one's personality, at least here in our country.

Just like when I come to the same restaurant directly back from a conference with the full suit/blazer/formal shoes attire, I do get more attention than on other days when I walk in with my jeans and T shirt
Old 13th September 2017, 23:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
While on the other side of the story, its at traffic light that some owners are pissed off when I'm ahead of them. And starts honking even when there are close to 10 seconds on the red light timer. They get even more pissed when i overtake them on the Mumbai Pune Expressway.

Though when we go on drives, my German driving friends in KL gladly pass on the keys of their cars to me to get the mechanical feel of my 800 and smilingly says "Now I know why you don't upgrade".

But the 5 speed 800 feels more exclusive now
Well said. While the likes of small cars in India may not have reached the classic state but for the owners they are nothing less than vintage beauties. We still have the first car of the family i.e the Maruti 800 which is now in the 16th year of ownership. Though it is being used quite less often now but nothing can match the agility and maneuverability of a small hatch back in today's chaotic traffic conditions. No matter what others think about these small wonders, for the real admirers and owners they will always be the cynosure for all times.

Regards.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 10:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

It also depends upon how good the relationship is (in case of FNGs specially) and what day you approach them.

When you have a good relationship with FNG, the garage owner / manager is quite forthcoming in telling you that I can attend to the problem if you send the car on Monday / Tuesday, when the staff is less occupied and it had worked with me.

During working days, the staff is less busy and is happy to spend time on small issues (some of which are a non-issue for mechanics). In FNGs particularly the charges are not based on the time spent on car, instead it is based on the problem and solution. The FNGs are slightly reluctant to work on issues where there is no guarantee of finding the solution to a problem.

I use Authorized outlets for general service but have been using a single FNG since 1997 and there is a kind of understanding that I do not get anything done for free and it works like charm. Not only the owner but even many of his staff members attend to issues immediately unless there is something which can wait (say rattle) for which they prefer weekdays when they have time and staff available to work on issues.

Cheers !

Last edited by i74js : 14th September 2017 at 10:07.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 11:03   #37
BHPian

Well, I feel discrimination follows no particular order. A cheap car owner vs a very costly car owner - both will have their own stories of being discriminated against.

It's just how we 'manage' ourselves, the service providers and the law.
Old 14th September 2017, 11:04   #38
BHPian

I wonder how the parking guy at the mall or valet react if they see a customer driving a small vintage car , like a baby austin perhaps .
autohead666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:00   #39
BHPian

Interesting topic. I have seen big German car guys getting more "salutes". It is more out of expectation of a bigger tips rather than "respect". In fact lot of people hate guys in big luxury cars. I have overheard people saying "bada chor hai" ( Big thief in the sense corrupt politician/real estate guy) or these are all "black market" guys. A luxury car is like a slap on a middle class guys face -"Look dude i blew more money on this car than probably you will make in your entire lifetime".
JediKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:05   #40
BHPian

I remember when the right side visor of our Alto was broken, I would have placed a request for it at least 10 times (spread over a period of 1 year) at our local Maruti dealership, but everytime they said that the part was out of stock. One of the mechanics suggested that he will check one of the accidental cars (the total loss ones) and get that part out from them. My father was not comfortable with this and said that he would rather drive without one!

Can relate to the below par service which they provide at star hotels, malls and even at petrol bunks. I remember reading in some forum, that attendants at a BPCL COCO in Mumbai used to clean windshields of expensive cars and did't even pay attention to smaller cars.

OT: There was a scene in some movie, where Amrish Puri tips the waiter as he walks in to the restaurant. When the fellow villain asks why he tipped the waiter in advance, he says, tipping in advance always ensures that you will get a great service. Maybe next time I will drive down with a crisp currency in my hand to get a parking at the ground level in a 5 star hotel
scwagh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 13:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I use Authorized outlets for general service but have been using a single FNG since 1997 and there is a kind of understanding that I do not get anything done for free and it works like charm. Not only the owner but even many of his staff members attend to issues immediately unless there is something which can wait (say rattle) for which they prefer weekdays when they have time and staff available to work on issues.

Cheers !

Absolutely couldn’t agree more. After getting the first three free services at company’s authorized service station I went ahead with two more services though paid but found that the mechanics at these company authorized service stations were reluctant to look into issues other than the regular service. And that was quite understandable as small niggling issues is not in the lookout list for these chaps who invest more of their time in major issues wherein they can make money. Also with big cars around the small cars get totally overlooked.

So after virtually suffering at the hands of ‘elite’ garages and service stations I too shifted to the FNGs and found both their attitude and service absolutely top notch. These FNGs have many experienced mechanics on their rolls who have worked with authorized service stations before. I have been trusting a couple of such FNGs in the city since last 13 years and the association with them has ensured complete peace of mind regarding the maintenance and service of the vehicle.

The benefits of FNGs are:

1. Prompt attending of the issue.

2. The customer is allowed to be around the vehicle while it is being repaired/serviced, which is not the case in authorized service stations wherein customers are made to sit in the cabins far away from the working bays.

3. The customer can bring in the genuine consumables and spare parts from the place of his liking, which ensures complete peace of mind.

4. The mechanics are good listeners who patiently listen to all the grievances of the customer and provide best possible solution.

5. The service/repair charges are quite reasonable as compared to authorized service stations who burn a hole in the customer’s pocket.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwagh View Post
Can relate to the below par service which they provide at star hotels, malls and even at petrol bunks. I remember reading in some forum, that attendants at a BPCL COCO in Mumbai used to clean windshields of expensive cars and did't even pay attention to smaller cars.

OT: There was a scene in some movie, where Amrish Puri tips the waiter as he walks in to the restaurant. When the fellow villain asks why he tipped the waiter in advance, he says, tipping in advance always ensures that you will get a great service. Maybe next time I will drive down with a crisp currency in my hand to get a parking at the ground level in a 5 star hotel
Absolute spot on assessment. Have found the overall attitude of service guys at the authorized service stations quite casual. For instance during one of my visit to get a plastic part concerning the dashboard the supervisor told me that the part is currently not available but he can get it arranged from his sources from the scrap market to which I promptly refused.

Moreover what to talk about service stations or fuel stations even the beggars who roam around traffic light points in the cities seldom approach the person driving small car for seeking alms. Instead they promptly rush towards the occupants of big sedans and SUV’s thereby troubling them. Now this is definitely a blessing in disguise for the small car owners who are spared of all the nuisance and trouble that these chaps cause.

Regards.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 14th September 2017 at 13:30.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:22   #42
BHPian

I've seen a different sort of discrimination in one of the car showrooms in Bangalore. I went on my bike to test drive a car. I was not allowed inside the showroom premises on the bike. Apparently, no bikes are allowed inside the showroom premises (except employees). I was asked to park the bike on the roadside and then go in. Didn't really make sense as bike takes a lot less space in the parking compared to a car.

So you need to have a car in order to buy a car

The good thing was that they do not discriminate on the type of bike you ride. Be it activa or a superbike, as long as you are on two wheels, just park outside and then walk in to buy a car.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:05   #43
BHPian

The discrimination is definitely here and i did notice is today itself. My grand i10 was in at the local dealership for body repairs and was to be handed over today. When i'd gone to drop the car i decided to follow the normal protocol and not get the people who i know and who in turn know me in the loop. I was given a very mediocre welcome and after discussion with the SA and being informed of the insurance formalities I left. The insurance on our cars is done by a provider who also insures all our factories etc hence is not one of the cashless providers who have a tie up with Hyundai. I did hear the dissent from the SA over the same and he did mutter that it'll be a headache getting the claim done. Regardless i informed my insurance person that i'd dropped my car and to arrange the surveyor for the same. Later that evening my insurance guy called me and informed me that the workshop didn't even have the estimates ready but not to worry they're following through after which i got a call from the SA that all the claims have been passed.

Today i went to pick the car up and had got myself dropped off at the entrance. While walking in by chance the general manager saw me and came to meet me asking me the reason i'm there. I told him that my car is due to be picked up and he was very surprised and asked me why I hadn't informed him and accompanied me to the surprised looking SA who was looking from his boss to me. Now the Manager knows me since a long time and knows about my passion for cars along with the fact that i am lucky enough to own a variety of them including a few Germans and a few Japanese and it doesn't hurt that he also knows that i'm family friends with the owner of the dealership. The manager also told the SA that please ensure the car is completely fine since he comes only once or twice in a year and this is one of the times he's here himself. The i10 is our family run-around used only by the driver for running around town for odd jobs with hence the body repairs because that is one car at my place which bares all the brunt of being a driver only car.

Post this there was a marked difference in the SA attitude especially since he was sitting and listening in on the manager discussing with me about my other cars and it runs down the line because post this while handing the car to me it was cleaned and the interiors given a once over again by their cleaners!! The icing was the SA mentioned to me that he was very surprised that all the claims were approved with the surveyor not once complaining and that he should probably have understood right there and then. I didn't react to this but on seeing this post i can completely relate that what a few people might take for granted is something which isn't as common place as it looks to those few people and of course the make and model of your car matters in this materialistic world.
rugsrags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 15:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Unlike Zens and Maruti 800's, Indicas and Altos have not reached classic status yet.Have any of you been discriminated against by fellow enthusiasts because you drive a plebeian car?
Well I do not think if any mechanic would evaluate a car or could consider it cheap or expensive to work upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Don't you think it could just be the mechanic/SA doing a mental calculation of return-on-time/effort.

A job on a typical Skoda will get the mechanic more money than perhaps on the Alto, going by the cost of parts and effort, isn't it?
Agreeing to Libran, this is what I feel is the actual reason.

For Example I had been to my local ASC (BIMAL, Bangalore - known for their excellent positive reviews) atleast thrice with my old Baleno in the last 1 year of owning it, for various small niggles. I could see most SAs and mechanics not even bothered to come and ask me why I am there for.
On the other instance I once joined my friend who wanted to get something checked on his new Baleno and as soon as he entered I was surprised to see the same SAs rushing to us with job cards.

So I would rather like to see it as a mentality towards - job completion.
A rather new car or a common car means - parts should be available and more number of mechanics would know how to fix it. Both instances could be rare with a rare car and hence the loss of interest.

On the other hand my local FNG treats all cars with equal importance and fix them based on the urgency of the owner / issue.

An Indica / Alto should definitely mean business as they are again easy to fix & parts should be available - hence I feel it's strange for them to discriminate you that way.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Two time Nano owner.
Garage mechanics, other drivers at traffic signals, parking lot attendants, office colleagues, valet service, fellow bhpians
/end rant
Even pedestrians!!!! If they see my Nano coming they nonchalantly raise their hand and continue on their merry saunter across the street.
If they see me in my Fiesta, they rush across.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks