Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 19:26   #31
BHPian

Re: A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud

Okay, here’s the update: short version - rescued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Let us know your return of the dragon story later
The longer version - the return of the drag… err Manza story:

Arranging the rescue

Called the local number of Tata Roadside Assistance in the morning. Their team was heading to Udupi to attend two pending calls in that region. They said it was unlikely that they will be able to get back to Mangalore before evening.

Called Mahindra’s FirsChoice whose website advertizes roadside assistance and recovery services. They said they do not have such a service in Mangalore but could put me in touch with a local independent provider. They shared the number promptly.

When I called the number that was given, the driver of the assistance truck answered. He listened to my situation and seemed to commit. He said he uses a 4X2 Tatamobile and that’s when I too, decided not to pursue it. He said he will call back with information about someone else who could help. Waited for 30 minutes. Tried calling him but got no answer.

In the meanwhile T-BHPian dockap who is located in Mangalore had PM’d offering help. Samurai had also offered to put me in touch with someone who could help. It being Monday and knowing how busy most of us are at the beginning of the week, I thought I will wait until evening before calling them.

It was then that I recalled that one of my school time friends is active in the offroading scene. He is now based in Chikmagalur but is closely connected to Mangalore. I figured he would know a thing or two about these situations. Sent him a WhatsApp message. He called me as soon as he saw it and just asked me if the car was still stuck. I said yes, and before I could say anything more, he said he will take care of it. Five minutes later I got call from a gent who asked me where the car was. I gave him the details and we agreed to meet at a landmark, the bus stop nearest to the site of action. One and half hours later after a 25 kilometer bone shaking ride covered in two recklessly driven city buses, I reached the rendezvous point. I expected a 4x4 Bolero or Tatamobile pickup with coils of rope in the loading bay. Imagine my face when I instead found a full size flatbed recovery truck with a winch and ramps and everything! I had visions of a sledge hammer swinging towards the proverbial fly. I hesitantly approached the truck and confirmed that this indeed was what my friend had arranged. The muscular young man in the driver’s seat asked me to hop in. I was stammering, trying to point out that the vehicle was probably too big for the road in question. His two assistants clambered on to the flat bed and in three minutes we were reached the plot.

The rescue
The recovery truck was backed into the road. It barely squeezed through. The first 50to 60 meters was soggy but flat. The second 50 meters was the inclined section at the bottom of which waited my car. The vehicle was backed up right up to the beginning of the incline. A quick survey, the team leader hopped into the driver’s seat of the Manza and tried a slow crawl. Did not move. He asked his assistants to push and he tried again. Gained about one meter and then again the spinning started. He then jumped out, attached the tow hook (from the Manzas’ toolkit) and his the other two guys brought out the belts and cables. The winch cable reached about one thirds of the way. A couple of steel cables and nylon belts were hooked together to bridge the gap between winch cable end and the two hook. He got back behind the wheel, turned on the engine and steered the car while his mates handled the winch and the truck. A combination winching and towing saw the car slowly climb up and reach the safety of the flat road in a couple of minutes. The lines were dismantled, gear was stowed away, hands were shook and away they went. I got back into my car and drove home just in time for the wife’s trip to her clinic.

So ended the ridiculous misadventure of the fat Manza stranded on wet grass and mud.

A few pics. Not many as I tried to stay out of everyone's way and kept distance from the tow lines in particular.

Hooking the Manza
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-towready00.jpg

Ready to be towed
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-towready01.jpg

Cresting the incline, finally
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-tw01.jpg

A big shouout to everyone who offered help, suggestions and solidarity. I now know for sure that the two attempts over seven years to get into the T-BHP fold was definitely worth it.

And here’s the bonus for me. My first thread on Team BHP gets 9500+ views and 30+ replies in less than 20 hour and a listing in the “Hot Threads” section! And stalwarts visiting and posting on it! Nothing like a tragi-comic story to get the eyeballs eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Priceless lesson. Don't worry everyone gets stuck sooner or later. Better sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We've all been in a rut sometime. Happened to a younger me feeling invincible in dad's pocket rocket, the Zen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hilariously written man! Thanks for sharing. All of us have been crazy sometime…
Well, I sure am in good company! Thanks guys for sharing your escapades here. I sure feel less stupid now. I am even beginning to feel a little exalted here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Great write-up! Ask at the local Panchayat office- they have many tractors to dispose garbage.
That’s a sensible tip actually. I did ask, but this particular Panchayat uses pick-ups, not tractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
'Khachar-ullu, Khachar-ullu, ganna-chara pukar, Choker-pani, choker-pani, Kheench meri car,' And that's how you get your car out. (with apologies to Mark Twain)
That is neat! Was willing to try anything yesterday! May be next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
I think you should still answer the call to "Go green". Any tusker or a pair of buffaloes around?
Me thinks this may actually work! A tusker especially. Imagine the traction and the torque!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
cogWheel : Hilarious... One request : Do write often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I really like your writing style and sense of humor even in state of distress.
Glad that you appreciate the humour! My way of coping I guess.

Last edited by cogWheel : 18th September 2017 at 19:44.
cogWheel is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 19:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

cogWheel, we enjoyed the tamasha and nail biting suspense so much....will the Mr. 4x4 get Miss Manza ....will cogWheel get out or will he spend the night under the tarpaulin. Every great performance deserves an encore!!! - please oblige
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 20:06   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
It's a good thing Tata didn't just happen to have these Maruti people in the district: thread (Maruti S-Cross breakdown: Coolant leakage, miserable towing experience)

A great story, beautifully told and beautifully illustrated too. Thanks for inviting us along for the adventure.

Way back then (early 60s, I suppose) my dad was always exploring tracks and fields in the ordinary family Ford Consul. He used to keep a spade in the boot.

Not wishing you more adventures, but hoping you write about them if they happen!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th September 2017 at 20:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 20:21   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I was so hoping rescuers to also get stuck....and the tale to move to chapter 3.

But seems experienced guys were at hand.
sudev is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 20:34   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He needs a long tow, winching is probably the best option.
Quote:
A combination winching and towing saw the car slowly climb up and reach the safety of the flat road in a couple of minutes.
As I said before, right tools will take care of this very quickly.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th September 2017 at 20:45.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 21:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a good thing Tata didn't just happen to have these Maruti people in the district: thread (Maruti S-Cross breakdown: Coolant leakage, miserable towing experience)
That is scary indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not wishing you more adventures, but hoping you write about them if they happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...Every great performance deserves an encore!!! - please oblige
Will do, if the opportunity arises and time permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I was so hoping rescuers to also get stuck....and the tale to move to chapter 3.
But seems experienced guys were at hand.
The thought did strike me. But thankfully, my tale did not need a Chapter 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As I said before, right tools will take care of this very quickly.
Yes indeed. Experience matters.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 08:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic post but related (though the places were traded unlike cogWheels D)

Quote:
Dr PA Kabeer rescuing a Bharat Benz stuck in slush while returning from Mysore in his Mercedes Benz GLE 250 D
For the video, here you go : https://m.dailyhunt.in/buzz/video/ma...kkunnu-1676518

PS : Couldn't find a direct YouTube link.
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 10:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

For the video, here you go : ...
In this video, the man standing right next to the towing rope is blissfully unaware of the great danger he is in.

With such enormous tension on the rope while pulling the truck, if the rope snapped for whatever reason, it could lash out and rip into the person with lethal consequences.
One should always keep in mind to stand way clear off a towing rope under tension.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th September 2017 at 10:46.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 11:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Great news that you are out of this ordeal. It was indeed a light work once the experts jumped in with right tools.

So happy to see so many tips and tricks to come out of such situation. Kudos to champions here
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Great that you are out of the ordeal! You amazingly narrated your plight in the most humorous way possible!

Quote:
A big shouout to everyone who offered help, suggestions and solidarity. I now know for sure that the two attempts over seven years to get into the T-BHP fold was definitely worth it.
Yes, TBHP is a closely knit family, where everyone comes together for the rescue of a fellow BHPian!

Quote:
Well, I sure am in good company! Thanks guys for sharing your escapades here. I sure feel less stupid now. I am even beginning to feel a little exalted here!
Just a word; indeed!

Quote:
Glad that you appreciate the humour! My way of coping I guess.

Cheers!
Shekhar2509 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Once in a while, one is overcome by an irresistible wave of stupidity, a tsunami of foolishness, an unbelievable suspension of common sense.
Thanks for sharing your experience in minute details. Good to know that you finally got through with the issue. Would also like to share a similar kind of experience relating to traction issue albeit on sand and it was during the road trip to Ladakh last year in Maruti Swift Dzire. It is a well known fact that driving on sand is quite difficult and ultimately the wheels get stuck. The more the throttle is pressed the deeper the wheels dig in. So its better to be safe by avoiding sandy stretches rather than getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. Coming back to the story, during the trip we visited the famous Pangong Lake. There are many points where travellers can drive up to the lake but at their own peril as the area around the water body is pretty sandy. There are warnings boards installed around cautioning the drivers not to drive on sandy shores due to the risk of getting stuck. Having read about perils of driving in sand and with a front wheel drive sedan at disposal, acted responsibly throughout the trip and never took a chance to deviate from the road.

On return leg stopped by a war memorial located by the lake side and parked the car just a little off the road on firm ground and everything seemed okay. But while starting again committed a mistake. Instead of reversing the car to get back on the road, found it convenient to take a U-turn thereby driving straight into the sand trap and eventually it got stuck. The only saving grace was that the car was stuck only about 10 feet away from the road. Tried to move the vehicle back and forth by engaging 1st and reverse gears in quick succession so as to initiate a rocking momentum to set it free but couldn't succeed. A little bit of more revving up lead to tyres digging deeper.

Now it was almost impossible to take out the car without help. Thankfully an ITBP soldier who was stationed nearby came to our rescue and a big push by three people along with some careful use of throttle in 1st gear set the car rolling. Finally we heaved a sigh of relief and needless to mention it was a good lesson for us to never take the vehicle off the road into the sandy areas.

A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-dscn1046.jpg

We saw some SUV's of the likes of Innovas, Xylos, Scropios getting stuck in the sand by the lake side due to sheer foolishness on the part of drivers who didn't pay any heed to the warnings. And given the heavy kerb weight of these vehicles setting them free is a herculean task.

Its quite tempting to drive closer to the lake unmindful of the fact that the shores are sandy.

A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-dscn1031.jpg
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-dscn1033.jpg
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-dscn1038.jpg

Therefore its quite handy to carry certain tools so as to be on safer side. Following are the must haves:

1. Shovel: A shovel is the single most useful tool for getting a vehicle unstuck. Any item that can dig and scoop can be used, including your hands, but a shovel gets the job done quickly. Should be carried in vehicle at all times.
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-shovel.jpg

2. Carpet/Rubber Mats/Jute Bags: Once the sand/mud has been removed, stuff a strip of carpet in front of tyre. Sticks, branches, plywood, can also work, as long as they don't sink too much and can provide traction to prevent the tyres from spinning. Press on the accelerator slowly, so the tire has time to grip, fast spinning will only fling away the things just laid down beneath the tyres.

3. Tow Strap: It comes in handy when the vehicle has to be towed out. Should be carried in vehicle at all times.
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-tow-strap.jpg

Link to the Ladakh Trip Travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uti-dzire.html

Regards

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 19th September 2017 at 17:08.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 22:20   #42
BHPian

@cogWheel
That was a very interesting write up, very humorous. The story ended well for you. All is well that ends well. BTW I too drive a Manza and have learned my limits from this write up, don’t want to land up in such a situation.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:24   #43
BHPian

A Careless moment, Stuck in mud overnight, Rescued in 5 mins

What a misadventure it was! One dark night during Aug 2017, due to heavy downpour, my wife offered to drop our cook home. So off we went in her car - a 6 months old Tata Zest XT petrol in pouring rain on water logged roads. I was worried about water entering the exhaust pipe, so urged her to floor the pedal without any let up and we were through knee deep water. We made it without incident.

The road is fairly wide but water clogged due to being a low lying area. At the end of the road, it was dug up for drainage works (there was a short detour by a slushy ground by the side, we couldn't spot in the dark night). My wife reversed the car and went into a small by-lane (one of those 5th or 6th cross roads) in the residential area just to see if there is any route to the main road.

I reminded her to stick to the middle of the road lest the car slip in any hidden ditch and scarcely had I uttered the warning when the car tilted in slow motion with the loose soil previously dug up for drainage pipes giving away due to the car's weight. I found myself sitting in a tilted angle in the front co-driver's seat. I couldn't get out of the vehicle as the door was stuck by stone or slush. It was a dark night with power cut to boot besides it was raining cats and dogs. The car didn't move an inch despite the heavy acceleration (silly mistake we knew but with the hopes revving will take out the vehicle), I knew we were stuck for long in a desolate residential area.

I asked my wife to get out of the car and it was an effort to haul myself from the co-driver seat to driver seat and get out of the car!

After the rain subsided a bit, I ventured out to nearby garage (lucky to find one open at 8.30 pm) and brought along the bloke who too couldn't get it out. Also, with the help of mobile phone torch, I found the front number plate missing (due to poor quality plastic ones that came with the car), must have fallen off due to heavy pressure of wading through water logged roads. Meanwhile, with the rain letting up, the cook made good her escape on our urging by walk as there was nothing she could do. Her house was just around some 500 metres. I was relieved a bit at least she's gone and not stuck like us.

We assessed the situation, none of the towing service guys we called were available as everyone were attending other rescue calls, a friendly resident joined us to commiserate. He blamed the BBMP (City Corporation) for the shoddy job they had done in filling up the mud without hardening it with stones and for failing to top the surface with black tar. People from neighbourhood peered out of balconies to see the car stuck as if it was a spectacle much to my embarrassment. With nothing much to be done, I left my number with him just in case he needs to contact me and assured to clear the vehicle first in the morning. I was a little worried that the car might block movement of traffic on the street but the friendly neighbor assured that it shouldn't be a problem. The space was hardly enough for a car to pass through. I hoped no truck or large vehicle would pass through till we removed the car. After all, I didn't want to play the spoilsport or be a pain in an unknown residential area. It was for these kind of issues that I left my mobile number with the guy just in case he needs to call us.

Our troubles didn't end there. We tried walking back home (just a km away) in the drizzle sharing an umbrella which hardly covered us both. And the road we had to walk home had knee deep water. It was cold water and the only way safe without going down the drain or potholes was to stick to the middle of the road. We tried but couldn't, thanks to cold water, our fear for any reptiles in the water (my locality is notorious for reptiles) and you can't avoid passing cars who were struggling to move without bogged down. Wading through knee deep cold water, in drizzling rain, dress sticking to the body, trying to protect mobile phone from getting wet, slush stuck in the footwear, in a dark road, dodging occasional cars splashing water in slow motion...it was not my idea of enjoying a walk in the rain. I like the rains but not the dampness.

We tried to look for autos but in that rainy dark night where do we get one notwithstanding my willingness to pay through the nose for a 1 km ride home? A few call center cabs passed by without stopping by. Felt miserable & helpless and never knew getting back home at a 1 km distance could be a near impossible proposition. So much for offering to drop the cook home on a rainy night!

Just as we were at our wits end, a car stopped by, we were relieved and thankful to get a ride, the savior was an IT professional heading home and stayed in an apartment complex in the neighborhood. Thanked him profusely and our luck.

At home tried calling the company 24/7 helpline, was on the phone for almost an hour trying to fix up a towing service, none of them were available for the night. Though I was sure of the car's safety parked almost in the middle of the road in a residential area lane, my better half wasn't assured.

She woke me up at first light - 5.30 AM and again the call rounds started with all the towing guys found in the Internet. Some were asking for pics to be whatsapped to assess before giving me a price quote (where do I get it in the dark night), few were trying to make a fast buck. Finally, my trusted Mahindra Helpline came to my rescue, agreed to come over right away though a bit pricey. He showed up in 45 mins. We both hopped on to the Tata Mobile pick up truck (see the irony here...Mahindra Helpline uses Tata vehicle) and reached the spot to find the car intact just as we left the previous night with one side sunken in loose soil. Boy! The guy did a professional job, took out the tow hook, chained up and with me taking over the steering, he pulled out the car in one throttle. All done in 10 mins flat! Thanked the neighbors who were watching the spectacle (really don't know what for I thanked but felt good the car came put unscathed except for the sunk wheels splashed with slush) and drove the car home.

Left poorer by couple of grands (towing service charges + new front number plate) and a sleepless night. An experience in itself with lots of learning, revelation and reflection thanks to a silly move to the side of the road. So many things could have gone wrong for the worse. Never imagined I'd walk with my wife in a desolate water logged road in pouring rain on a dark night with an umbrella that was practically useless with us getting drenched. Nothing romantic about it, I tell you. Don't trust movie scenes, from my experience.

Given this experience, whether my wife would be willing to drop the cook again in a rainy night, you bet!

I realized that to get stuck you don't need to go off roading in a far off jungle, it can happen in your neighbourhood itself. Lesson learnt here is avoid driving out in pouring rain unless absolutely necessary, even if you have to stick to middle of the road, main roads and avoid small by-lanes with which you are unfamiliar.
Attached Thumbnails
A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-20994139_10155694817242458_2592370587789187076_n.jpg  

A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-21034409_10155694817307458_14824962758303478_n.jpg  

A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud-21077465_10155694817367458_6611508810619500214_n.jpg  

Last edited by grkonweb : 20th September 2017 at 11:28. Reason: Additional Information
grkonweb is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Careless moment, Stuck in mud overnight, Rescued in 5 mins

We had faced exactly similar issue with a friend's swift. The front wheels and rear wheels had sunk into a drain.

However, instead of calling any roadside assistance, we called for local help.
We started to the lift the car from one side, and seeing us other people who were passing by, joined us. As a result, the car was out in 10 seconds.

We thanked everyone and returned back home, having learnt that humanity still exists in India.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 13:56   #45
BANNED

Re: A Careless moment, Stuck in mud overnight, Rescued in 5 mins

I think if you had a towing rope you could have used your beast to pull the Zest out at daylight (Since I follow Hexa thread quite judiciously, I know you own a Hexa as well )
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks