Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Someone wrote in 'The Hindu' 2 days back. the truck drivers in chennai are the real life James Bond. They are really licensed to kill.
Old 7th December 2006, 21:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Bond.....James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Someone wrote in 'The Hindu' 2 days back. the truck drivers in chennai are the real life James Bond. They are really licensed to kill.
Yes...I remember the days I used to travel in Chennai in the 80s. On the route from Airport to Tambaram,one could see these Tata sand lorries speeding past the supposedly fast 70V(which was considered the fastest bus in Chennai then).Real Bond.

Things may be different now I guess..with all the traffic,James Bonds must have become "Fevibonds"!!!!!
Old 7th December 2006, 22:34   #18
BHPian

Guys if you actually think about it, these truck drivers are not hell bent on breaking traffic rules, instead there are more factors that come into play.

Illiteracy being the major one, they cannot imagine in their wildest dreams that driving on the wrong side can cause such horrific accidents. Plus most drivers dont own their trucks, and the owners are very strict about the time taken for delivering stuff and also the fuel costs. So these drivers sometimes have no choice but to do these stupid things.
I have often seen trucks driving on the wrong side on the Pune-Bangalore highway, or making illegal cuts in the middle of the highway, all because the next road cut is too far away!
Old 8th December 2006, 02:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

It is admitted that illiteracy is a major contributor here however it is the attitude of the drivers that matter. They think that they are the rulers of the road and that nobody can go past them. I think the mere size of the truck and the amount of space it occupies on the road influence their arrogance to have scant regards for other motorists on the road. I still remember when in 1995 I was a victim of a truck hitting me from behind, that too when I was waiting at a signal. The best part was when I questioned the driver who appeared to be old he reportedly admitted that these were not new to him and that he had knocked down a cyclist just a week before on GST road. Tell me guys, what can you do with people with such an A T T I T U D E !! ??
Old 8th December 2006, 23:55   #20
BHPian

I never said that these people are totally innocent...I was just trying to say that we should look at both sides of the coin before overeacting to situations like condemning some guy to hell!
Old 24th April 2009, 22:41   #21
BHPian

The truck drivers in the south are better. I felt this doing the two Hyd-Vizag trips I have done. They drive somewhat courteously. The mosters on those roads are the APSRTC guys. If you do not give them way at the very first 'roar' or 'flash' be prepared to get physically(contact) pushed into the pit on the side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks