Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 09:58   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Car wheel theft in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
No, insurance does not cover any specific stolen part(s). Insurance claim can be made only if the car as a whole is stolen.
That is not true.

One can claim insurance in this situation.

However, while you'll get nearly 100% of the cost of the alloy wheel (some owners have paid 30% from their side in some cases), the tyres will be reimbursed at depreciated value. IIRC, for the tyre (and other rubber parts), you pay 50% from your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
There is another theft that I am always worried about - but have not heard of : Wiper blades
Wiper blades, car monograms...sigh! In India, anything & everything gets stolen.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:20   #47
BHPian

Very efficiently executed job. I park my car outside and I've wondered several times if I'll find my car without wheels in the morning. Are wheels covered in Insurance?
Old 26th September 2017, 14:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So do car alarms and Autocop alarms not work in such a situation? I am sure at least a few cars were fitted with these?

All in all a very sad state of affairs. i:
I doubt whether these will work. I mean, the autocop,et all. These people are too slick and professional. I have had a similar experience in 2012 with my Alto. I had autocop with body sensor. Even if a dog barks loudly or a cracker bursts, the alarm used to sound. One day, I had parked in front of my house at around 1am and was awake till about 2 am.

I lost my Pioneer audio deck that night or early morning my guess between 3am and 5am. The thief(s) had removed the rubber beading on the boot door glass, entered the car, lowered the windows (it was manual roll up/down windows), leisurely removed the audio deck and retreated back. They even attempted to put back the rear glass, though it was a hurried job!

Not a cheep out of the autocop/alarm system. Nothing was disconnected as the next day morning, I tried that first thing. Only saving grace, they removed the audio deck nicely and professionally and left all the screws nicely in the cup holder. Nary a scratch on the dash.

I informed the local cops, but no avail - Not that I expected anything to happen. He informed that at least 5 /6 cars especially 800s and Altos were targetted in the last few days. Apparently these cars had a rubber beading which can prised out easily
Old 26th September 2017, 15:15   #49
BHPian

8-9 cars in 1 hour and such professional work !! seems right up there with F1 pit crew..
Rotorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:37   #50
BHPian

Location - Palwal

Year - 2015

Similar experience happened with my tenant, my house has parking for two cars in which my Endy and Fiesta rest. My tenant parks his car on road outside our house. One fine morning this gentleman comes to me panicked and tells me "meri car ka tyre chori ho gaya" (My car's trye has been stolen). I did not get him and was wondering why will someone steal a car's "tyre", it was only when I saw his car in person that I realized that an entire wheel was stolen and the car was resting on a concrete block.

I called my friend who owns a spare parts shop and arranged for the wheel and tyre for the poor guy early in the morning.

So this particular incident in Bangalore is not new but the scale is obviously large.
Parking cars on incline, wheel lock nuts, friendly dog near house or a pet at home are only deterrents as the thieves will target easy prey only.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th September 2017 at 16:01. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Old 26th September 2017, 15:38   #51
BHPian

My friend's Pulsar alloy wheels were stolen that too from Jayanagar, totally residential area. The night of the theft, we were all awake, still couldn't sense it.
Old 26th September 2017, 17:20   #52
BHPian

My God!!!! I don't have a parking slot. I use to park at an open ground which can have a max of 2 cars + 1 rick. So, if I am late from office, I park in the main road footpath (~100m from my home and no direct visibility) where there are a couple of old ricks left to rot. Everyday morning, I use to check the tyres, not to see if it is still there, but to ensure no cops has locked it. But, this incident is making me scary. I am sure, it is worth to move to a house with proper parking even if it is going to cost me more monthly.

(Ps:- the footpath is rarely used and is wide enough, people can still use the same).

Last edited by Jakku : 26th September 2017 at 17:22. Reason: correcting the grammatical errors.
Old 26th September 2017, 19:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is not true.

One can claim insurance in this situation.

However, while you'll get nearly 100% of the cost of the alloy wheel (some owners have paid 30% from their side in some cases), the tyres will be reimbursed at depreciated value. IIRC, for the tyre (and other rubber parts), you pay 50% from your pocket .
This is again policy specific and insurance company specific. Not all policies give coverage for stolen tyres. As far as I know, New India Insurance does not cover this.

from Bankbazaar. com FAQs
Car wheel theft in India-img_20170926_191337.jpg
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 19:50   #54
BHPian

I have witnessed this in action in Noida, in broad day light at that.
I often used to drive to the Golf Course metro station and used to park next to the gate of the Golf Course Banquet hall. It is a proper public parking and the place is far from a ghost town, it is right next to a main road.
On this particular day, I had parked next to a Liva Cross, if you see one up close, you would notice that it has nice and expensive looking OEM alloys.
I get up to the platform and I am waiting for the train, looking at my car as I usually did while waiting for the train only this time, a bunch of taxi drivers were messing around with the Liva. They had a jack from their own cabby. I was glad that my car would be next but I didn't want them to see me as I park in that area often so I called the cops and went on my way. Later in the evening I was glad that my car was untouched and so was the Liva.
These people were normal call center drivers, I have seen them parked around many times, in the afternoon.
I thought this call to police would put an end to this but not a short while later, a private Xylo is standing on bricks, again next the spot where I used to park.
I stopped parking there from that day.
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 20:08   #55
BHPian

hello experts
Wheel lock nuts are good way to lock our expensive wheels. Since these thefts happen quite quickly, wheel lock nits may make sense.

I see amazon sells wheel lock nuts with key, for example McGard 27179

https://www.amazon.in/McGard-27179-Chrome-Style-Wheel/dp/B000COMX54/

How do I get to know whether the nuts will fit my car's wheels?

In fact the page does not give any product compatibility details. I happened to check a similar lock nut product on amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-27000-...dp/B000A8FNWC/

On the attached video demonstration of the product, the demonstrator shows how to apply the nut and lock the key based on the torque setting of the wheel.
How do I gather the torque setting as recommended by the wheel (Alloy / steel rim) manufacturer?

Please enlighten.
Old 27th September 2017, 19:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post

How do I get to know whether the nuts will fit my car's wheels?

How do I gather the torque setting as recommended by the wheel (Alloy / steel rim) manufacturer?
Go to below site and select the vehicle manufacturer and year, it will give you all required info (not sure about torque setting). I used the same link and ordered lock nuts for my ciaz through amazon US - Macguard (specifications were correct)

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/

Few Points regarding lock nuts

1. Select the proper length/dimensions, the one's which protrude out is very easy to remove.
2. Make sure that the manufacturer says that it doesn't rust (i have been using Mcguard lock nut for more than a year and it hasn't rusted)
3. If the thief has the key for your lock nut, he would take some costly lock nuts with him and sell that along with the rim's + Tyre's
4. lock nuts are not impossible to remove without key, it would be time consuming from their end and would take some effort.

Looking at the way in which the professional thief(s) have operated, i think they would carry some keys with them.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 19:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

if we have some pics of the wheels that were stolen, especially the rarer ones, trawling olx etc for the wheels to show up is an option.
Old 28th September 2017, 23:05   #58
BHPian

It is quite unfortunate that the police department from Bangalore and other places are trying to solve these crimes. Given the fact that this job can be carried out only by people in related business, it should not be very difficult to solve, if they really care.

As far as Bangalore police is concerned, they are fairly good to responding a call to 100. However, I have felt they are not all serious about 'petty' cases of stealing. There were a couple of bicycle stealing episodes from our neighbourhood and the police were not even eager to examine the CCTV footage
Old 29th September 2017, 15:43   #59
BHPian

Motivation for me to park the car inside the gates, I have always been lazy to open the gates, hence always park it on the road. Now I think i will park inside.
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:12   #60
BHPian

I suppose proprietary lugs will soon become the norm and become one more thing for car owners to worry about.

Car wheel theft in India-676c2a0a45f84cc096dc0f57cefc6452.jpeg

Most Viewed