Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:29   #61
BANNED

re: Car wheel theft in India

I rarely have to park cars outside at night, but while I travel to my wife's place, I have no option other than parking outside. What I usually do is turn the front wheels maximum and get the steering locked. That way the front wheels remain relatively safe when compared to rear wheels.

After seeing this, I think it would be worth investing in wheel locks used by Police to lock down cars which are parked illegally.
Attached Thumbnails
Car wheel theft in India-e76f9eb2723f4678956dc86dbdc9d3a2.jpeg  

The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
After seeing this, I think it would be worth investing in wheel locks used by Police to lock....
The wheel lock serves to prevent the free rotation of the wheel, it is clamped around the rim and would come off along with the wheel when the latter is removed.
The thief would get a bonus wheel lock.
Wheel locking nuts, although not fool proof seems to be the only deterrent. The thief may go for an easier target(vehicle) with regular nuts.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd October 2017 at 18:53.
for_cars1 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 19:30   #63
BHPian

How about manufacturers start embossing the car's VIN or some other identification mark on the wheel rims. Will this at the least help in catching the thief by sourcing the location where the stolen wheels were resold. I suppose maybe atleast 1 out of 10 car wheel thefts can be traced easily.

Yeah it's true that during an accident case or a wheel upgrade this concept surely goes waste but considering the fact that majority of common car owners usually stay with their stock wheels set.

Or maybe we ourselves can start any DIY in this issue (in addition to lock nuts) to find any preliminary solution before we face any such instance with our cars.

Any suggestions dear Bhpians. Could anyone enlighten with the pros and cons of it.
Thanks in advance.
Mods, kindly excuse me if any such thread already discussed such issue and please transfer it there.

Last edited by rohiT Nonu : 2nd October 2017 at 19:38.
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:33   #64
BHPian

The solution to this menace could be a nice engineering project. I prefer preventive systems that avoid the theft rather than passive systems to track and trace the crime.

Apart from using sensors to detect wheel up when doors are locked, one other mechanical way (apart from key based lock nuts) would be using "Wheel tethers" like in F1. As this may prevent theft it becomes difficult to also legitimately change tyres. But I wonder how they do it in F1 during Pit stops? May be there is chance for another technology drain from F1 to road cars.
Car wheel theft in India-dfd.jpg
Wheel tethers holding back the wheel from flying off in a crash
Courtesy:Reddit User.

Another solution could be use of electronics. Best provided as an add-on package like the Reverse parking sensor or camera to avoid additional cost for those with safe parking. It is high time, we get some functional accessories from OEMs instead of all the vanity bits!!
vivee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 18:58   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like a nation wide menace, now in Chandigarh

Car wheel theft in India-22459426_10212901878874836_804920681324920584_o.jpg

Car wheel theft in India-22382079_10212901879194844_491292867890958750_o.jpg

Source: Facebook
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 22:55   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
Attachment 1681709
Wheel tethers holding back the wheel from flying off in a crash
Courtesy:Reddit User.
Senna would probably have been alive today had these wheel tethers been mandatory in 1994.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ory-imola.html
Old 12th October 2017, 22:58   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Senna would probably have been alive today had these wheel tethers been mandatory in 1994.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ory-imola.html
I know it's OT but not true. Senna died because of a suspension component piercing his helmet and his head. Not because of the wheel/tyre hitting him
Old 13th October 2017, 12:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
But I wonder how they do it in F1 during Pit stops?
AFAIK F1 Car's wheels are not tethered. It's the hubs to prevent the wheel assembly to fly away and cause injury to other drivers/marshals during an accident.

Last edited by myavu : 13th October 2017 at 12:27.
Old 13th October 2017, 21:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
AFAIK F1 Car's wheels are not tethered. It's the hubs to prevent the wheel assembly to fly away and cause injury to other drivers/marshals during an accident.
You are right. I came to the same conclusion later too. So, that leaves us with one option less to solve the problem!
Old 15th October 2017, 22:57   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sanjit Tripathy for sharing!

Quote:
Last night, a set of 4 alloy wheels from a month old Innova was stolen in the Hebbal (Coffee board layout) area. Please feel free to post the pic on the portal so that the people in the forum as well as the general public who belong to that locality will stay aware of it.
Car wheel theft in India-img_20171015_132244187_hdr.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 00:51   #71
BHPian

IMO these incidents are actually the product of a mind that would commit crimes as long as the person knows they're not being monitored. Failing to nab & punishing them could lead to building their confidence in committing heinous crimes. Before this develops into a more serious situation, as civil society we must step up & increase security on many fronts, rather than blame cops/Govt.

At the very least, people should start pushing for CCTV cameras to be installed around not just our homes & offices but also that of our staff (ofcourse, not that people unfairly promote brands & CCTV businesses), atleast gain & spread some basic knowledge of how good specc'd generic cameras & DVR's can be procured and installed at the low cost.

I would personally want the govt to make it mandatory to have CCTV installed (& kept working) if people want an active electricity connection. Also, mandate to have beat constables at all locations where people are paying property tax to the govt. I'm not an expert, but such policies need to be formulated sooner rather than later.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

The sad part is the efficient Karnatka government still doesnt have any clues or identified who the possible culprit it. This is what we get for paying our taxes on time. Excellent quality pothole free, waterlogging free roads and maximum security and marshalling on other roads

Its high time residents of layouts come together and install CCTVs. It will at least help in deterring or narrowing down culprits in the event of any incident.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Attachment 1685987
This area is pretty close to the place where the OP reported the first incident of wheel theft. Wouldn't be surprised if its the same gang that is involved.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They stole not only the wheels but front brake pads too! Which makes me think the thieves have an Innova Crysta of their own which needed brake pads.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 10:20   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if it is related to the same group that is stealing car tires but I spotted this auto on the 2nd of October in Koramangala without any of its wheels. This was parked right by Marks and Spencers on inner ring road.

Car wheel theft in India-00db45373cc240c1960e82e002a5bb61.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks