Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 11:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Car wheel theft in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
.....Some CCTV footage captured showed the gang members, but with faces covered with masks. Police does not seem to be very optimistic about recovering anything back, but they have promised beat patrolling in the odd hours on a daily basis now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
....Its high time they invested in a Cctv camera to cover the parking area on the road.....
Thats exactly the issue with CCTV cameras. Now we have footage from multiple houses but none of them show any faces. Which again proves the point, its a well trained gang who is working on a 'movie inspired' goal based strategy. My assumptions : 1) They have a dozen or more power tools 2) gang of more than 10 people 3) medium sized carrier for over 30 tyres in one go 4) home work and planning in the area done well in advance 5)tie up with a seller or access to a safer disposal.

Anyway, its a clear warning !! There are over 60 lakhs bikes and cars in Bangalore city beginning of 2017 and over 15 lakh would be cars/SUV category, out of which more than 5 lakh cars are parked on the public roads in the night on a very minimal estimation. Present robbery involved only 9 cars/suvs all within 500 meters radius, that is after leaving all the worn out tyres/steel rim category untouched. So, the potential for such gangs are very very high and they might even start an institute on professional training and on-the-job coaching
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 11:58   #17
BHPian

At some point, I did wonder why people did not steal rims of cars parked in the open. It is more like I was wondering about the risks of street parking.

With tools and jacks, it is real 'professionally' executed. I know this is hurtful to the owners, it is somewhat hilarious. Fix punchers by day, steal tires by night.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
. Does insurance cover stolen tyres as well at a depreciated cost?
No, insurance does not cover any specific stolen part(s). Insurance claim can be made only if the car as a whole is stolen.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:21   #19
BHPian

Thanks much for sharing this incident! This looks to be professionally executed theft, and the I guess the stolen wheels go to the shoddy modifiers; correct me if I am wrong!
Need to be more careful going ahead, as our cars are parked in open outside our house in our society! It's sad to see these cars in such pitiful condition!
Old 25th September 2017, 14:16   #20
BHPian

The biggest irony is that the thieves actually cared to keep the stones and leave the cars undamaged! I would have expected them to rest the discs/drums directly on the road, in the interest of time
PearlJam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
The biggest irony is that the thieves actually cared to keep the stones and leave the cars undamaged!
That kind deed also points a hint that one or two in the gang could be die-hard team-bhp fans !! They seriously did not want even a scratch on the body or other parts, they were desperate for tyres that too a truck load of them
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:35   #22
BHPian

Similar story around JP Nagar a couple of weeks back.

Two alloy wheels and tires were stolen from maruti swift cars. However, no stones were used.

No other cars were touched.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I would have expected them to rest the discs/drums directly on the road, in the interest of time
More to do with being able to get the jack out, wouldn't you agree?

Even if they had 4 jacks, you cant simply retrieve it without the car resting on something. And if less than 4 jacks, the wheel-less part of the car cant be suspended without support
udainxs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest irony is that the thieves actually cared to keep the stones and leave the cars undamaged! I would have expected them to rest the discs/drums directly on the road, in the interest of time
I was in fact surprised with this 'responsible act' of the thieves. But looking at it, how would they remove all the wheels without compensating/balancing for the ones they have removed. The car would weigh down to a side making it impossible to remove the other wheels. Looks like they were forced to use the hallow blocks.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 25th September 2017 at 14:48.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't any street dogs bark when this activity is going on? The street dogs are very smart and will instantly create a ruckus if they see shadily dressed guys doing such deeds at the middle of night. If they did not make a ruckus then the gang members belong to the same area and are familiar to the dogs or the dogs were sedated with a drug laced bait.
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Or, if my guess is right, it might simply be in self-interest.

If they had say only 4 jacks with them, and as per plan they had an aim of doing 10 cars in one night, they would have to retrieve the jacks as well.

If the stones weren't kept say on one side of the vehicle after the wheels were removed, they would need atleast 2-3 people to balance the vehicle from tilting over and causing a lot of noise. Which might alert the residents.

I wonder if they were dumb enough to hold the jacks with bare hands, have the police checked them for fingerprints? Maybe somone's aadhar print gets a match.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 25th September 2017 at 15:12.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
More to do with being able to get the jack out, wouldn't you agree?

Even if they had 4 jacks, you cant simply retrieve it without the car resting on something. And if less than 4 jacks, the wheel-less part of the car cant be suspended without support
Why not with one jack ? Remove one tire and replace the stones below and do likewise for all other three.
Old 25th September 2017, 15:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Why not with one jack ? Remove one tire and replace the stones below and do likewise for all other three.
I was responding to the statement that they could have rested the car on the road and not on stones, hence the 'even if'
Old 25th September 2017, 16:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Didn't any street dogs bark when this activity is going on? The street dogs are very smart and will instantly create a ruckus if they see shadily dressed guys doing such deeds at the middle of night.
They bark all the time, more so at night. No one gives two hoots to that. They might have barked, but as usual would have been ignored. Moreover they keep silent when there is a group of people involved.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 16:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

This has incidentally happened in Kasturi Nagar on 2nd September. 3 cars parked in a row opposite to a park (One of them was my cousin's Renault kwid) are impacted with this group.

Two wheels of Kwid were stolen from my cousin's car.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2017 at 09:51. Reason: typo
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks