Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 10:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
but I'm sure it's safe as hell for those inside.
Good for you Boom, I'm not so sure about that myself, this is a crash with a bike, I shudder to imagine what may have happened if it was a four wheeler or HCV.

Indian Dawg, glad that you are safe, sorry about the car!
Old 27th November 2006, 10:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Well the cars are not made out of paper. The damage that you see there is because of the crumple zone. This zone is what protected the driver and passengers and also if you notice hardly any damage to the passsenger cabin.

Vikram is right - I have seen quite a few in the Honda repair shop. One case, a major building group were trying out a new driver and the vtec never left the basement!!!

They will take the engine out, put the car on a jig, remove the releavent chassis rail components and replace and knock it back together
Old 27th November 2006, 11:37   #18
BANNED

last week a bike went into a santro new one at about 20km since the bike was takin a wrong turn the bike went in the center and santro was splits too and with a broken windsheild...
Old 27th November 2006, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Even though it may sound strange, I guess the reality is - if the bike were doing a good speed, a car-bike collision can result in quite a bit of damage to the car too.

Recently, when I was travelling through Singapore, I read a newspaper article reporting a bike hitting into a Mercedes (E class I think). And resulted in the death of the biker as well as one of the passengers in the car.

The damage on the vtec seems quite substantial man.. how long will they take to fix it? Wish you well and a big relief that the bikers injuries were not fatal..
Old 27th November 2006, 13:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

IndianDawg,

Glad the accident hasnt permeated till the fuel tank, which in the NHC, is under the driver cabin
Old 27th November 2006, 14:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank Gawd, everybody is safe. These days you just never know who is gonna come and hit you from which side. Please do follow the principle of a panic driver with eyes furtive all the times and then leave the rest to god.

Also, Honda city having such shoddy body material is horrifying to know. Thank god i am not a honda owner
Old 27th November 2006, 19:07   #22
BHPian

thanks..everyone..!! yeah i agree honda shouldnt come out with cheap materials now...!!.. and..yeah they really lack air bags and ABS ...in vtec...

but one thing i must say..its really safe who are inside...trust..!! it happened mili seconds... but.. i didnt even move like i shud because of the impact...of the bike..!!...tho pulsar's...damage wasnt enuff because if u see...the steering handle was totally broken...its gone down.. and.. dats what u can expect from that bike..rest wat eles it can happen to a bike? the rest of the parts...were small dents...which cannot be even seen because..after the accident it got skid...!!

fuel tank under driver's cabin? holy f*** ..haha...i dont know what to say guys...but..after the vtec...i dont think i like any other damn car..man.. after the accident..i drove my brother's NHC i-dsi engine...it was like oh...m i driving a fiat?

anyways..thats all over now... the vtec is dead i guess... rs.4lakh is the estimate damage....

and my vtec was juzz like 8-9 months old... lets see now what to do... i guess i might sell it...because its useless to again spend 4 lakhs and..den...lets see..i love vtec but then 2moro there will be better honda car with a better vtec engine..!!
Old 27th November 2006, 19:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dammm... 4 Lakhs is tooo much for the damage caused!
Old 27th November 2006, 20:32   #24
BHPian

Ohhhhhh!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! I too have a NHC 1.5GXi!!! Now I'm afraid to drive it after seeing those pics!! Really scary posts dude!! Anyways...thanks for posting those "eye openers"!!!

I had a Corsa earlier and have had a good crash with a goods tempo at around 80km/hr on highway!! That car so smartly took all that impact and I cud comeout from the car without even a scratch!!! Sad that I sold it and brought NHC!!!
Old 27th November 2006, 21:17   #25

I agree with "
[COLOR=#0000ff]vikram_d[/COLOR] vbmenu_register("postmenu_328827", true);
BHPian"

He said rightly that the crumple zone ensured the safety of both the CAR riders and the bike riders.

Think of Crashing a bike hitting in to Solid car like Lancer and Fiesta etc...then what wud have happened is that...CAR ppls safe and Bikers DEad!!!

HONDA Scored well here in all over safety.

Think of of the same car like Lancer and Fiesta hitting big OBJECTS and then bouncing back and making the life of the car and Riders to the hell.
Old 27th November 2006, 23:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THELUCKY View Post
I agree with "
[COLOR=#0000ff]vikram_d[/COLOR] vbmenu_register("postmenu_328827", true);
BHPian"

He said rightly that the crumple zone ensured the safety of both the CAR riders and the bike riders.

Think of Crashing a bike hitting in to Solid car like Lancer and Fiesta etc...then what wud have happened is that...CAR ppls safe and Bikers DEad!!!

HONDA Scored well here in all over safety.

Think of of the same car like Lancer and Fiesta hitting big OBJECTS and then bouncing back and making the life of the car and Riders to the hell.
dude...bikers are never safe...when it comes to accidents...all the bike vs car accidents iv seen...bikes.. skidding and the person is flying down somwhere..!!..bikes are never safe when your at high speeds... and secondly in mumbai..they'r not at all safe cause even cars run fast whenever they get a chance of over taking...and the biker abuses the car...and so the biker does the same..and the driver in the car gets pissed and abuses...its alll the same..!!!

nobody drives safely...because they think..they can...make it..!!..its general..m not blaming anyone...infact i drive this way..too..!!..whenever..i get a chance of over taking... hey its vtec..juzz accelerate...and there u got a superb pick up..and.. der ur ahead..of that car because nobody has time...in mumbai..!!..but iv learnt..one thing.. no matter how much time u take.. drive safely..!!... here it wasnt my fault.. but still iv learnt a lot...!!
Old 28th November 2006, 00:43   #27
BHPian

Honda really makes paper-thin cars. I also witnessed an accident recently on a trip to Himachal. A NHC was coming down a hill road and it didn't turn enough or was speeding and wasn't able to stop in time to avoid a minor collision with the exhaust pipe of a truck. The truck driver was on his correct side. You won't believe it, the City's driver side fender had scrunched up like a peice of paper and one could make out considerable bodywork damage including the bumper. What had happend to the truck? Absolutely nothing. Considering the exhaust pipe is a hollow metal cylinder, one would expect some sign of damage, but on closer inspection I couldn't make out whether the exhaust pipe even had a small dent. This pathetic is the quality of steel used by Japanese automobile makers. No doubt the car is light and hence fuel-effecient but there needs to be certain amount of rigidity in the bodywork. It seems like most of the car is a crumple zone and only the passenger compartment is cocooned, which is acceptable in terms of safety, but definietely doesn't justify the high cost of getting the bodywork repaired.
Old 28th November 2006, 08:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

yes jessie most of the car with the exception of the passenger cabin is a crumple zone. The reason you dont see much damage on the bike in this thread is because of the Honda self destructed and not only did it save its own passengers, but also the bike and its riders. Just imagine the same accident between lets say an Ambassador and the same bike. Minor damage to the car but the bike and in all probability its rider would have been totalled. One more thing anything travelling at 100 kmph can cause a lot of damage.

The more rigid the car the more harm it will cause.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th November 2006 at 08:41.
Old 28th November 2006, 10:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why we are going on about crumple zones.....MOST modern day cars in this segment have crumple zones. I think what we are pointing out is that the sheet metal used in the Honda City is probably not as tough as one would have expected - why is that so difficult to acknowledge? And if a 9 lacs plus car "self destructs" on hitting a bike, well I for one am glad I've not bought one!

Someone was talking about Lancers & Fiestas "bouncing back" after hitting objects & bikers dying & car occupants safe etc etc - is that what a crumple zones is supposed to do, protect the riders/occupants of the vehicle being hit? !!!!!!

Last edited by suman : 28th November 2006 at 10:06.
Old 28th November 2006, 10:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Given the right physics at the the time of the impact, any car would suffer that much. The crumple zones in all modern cars are designed to absorb as much of the impact as quickly as possible - thus softening up the impact for the passengers inside, and whatever or whoever hits the car. The middle section is the solid steel cage which is designed to NOT crumple.

A 130kg (+ 2 riders) carries a lot of momentum at 80kmph+ - its not a minor impact at all even if the guy braked and slowed down to 40-50kmph.

I'd say the car did its job. As for the repair work - I personally know how unaffordable maintaining a Honda through dings and dents is. Everything costs 25k+ - and this is a big one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks