Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:04   #1
BHPian

Zoomcar launches PEDL - a cycle sharing service

PEDL by Zoomcar seems to have made an appearance in Chennai as well. Rented a cycle from them earlier this morning. The cycles are basic ungeared ones, painted neon green available at 10 Rupees an hour.

There are three such PEDL points along Besant Nagar 2nd main road. The first one is near Jonah's Bistro, the second point is a little further up on the opposite side of the road and the third one is near the entrance of Theosophical Society on Besant Avenue road.
They do not provide any safety gear. I'd gladly pay a little more for safety gear and geared cycles. It is early days yet, let us see how long this venture lasts.

In a strange coincidence, the brakes on my cycle were as bad (read non-existent) as the last car I had hired from Zoomcar (a Scorpio).

Zoomcar launches PEDL - a cycle sharing service-img_0688.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st October 2017 at 12:57. Reason: Rotating pic :)
TejasKinger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Zoomcar launches PEDL - a cycle sharing service

Zoomcar has launched PEDL, the cycle sharing service at Rs. 10 per 30 minutes. PEDL will be beneficial for local use cases including last mile commuting.

Zoomcar currently operates PEDL in 3 cities - Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata with over 500 cycles. They expect to cross 10,000 cycles by the end of 2017 and have larger expansion plans for 2018. PEDL pickup points will be located in multiple localities in a city and the company aims to have one every 50-100 meters. Currently, in Bangalore the cycles are available at HSR Layout, Chennai - Besant Nagar and Kolkata - Golf Greens.

Just walk up to a PEDL location, pay via Paytm, and then drop the cycle off at any of the PEDL locations when you're done. Each PEDL cycle is designed to handle 2 years of intense use and has smart locks that can be unlocked using a QR code. It gets features like a custom designed aluminum alloy frame, drum brakes, an anti-slip chain, airless solid tyres, height adjustable seat and a storage basket. Zoomcar has also harnessed their IoT platform incorporating real-time GPS tracking, solar battery charging and a built-in alarm into the cycles.

As part of the expansion plan, anyone can be a host to the PEDL service. The hosts must provide the physical space and the Zoomcar team will handle the rest. As part of the remuneration, hosts will get a 25% discount on Zoomcar bookings, free luxury cars twice a year, free PEDL rides for a year, and several other benefits. PEDL partners include PayTM, McDonalds, Yatra, Goibibo and Quirk, with more expected to join later.

Zoomcar launches PEDL - a cycle sharing service-5a_low.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 12th October 2017 at 14:41.
blackwasp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Re: Zoomcar launches PEDL - a cycle sharing service

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Zoomcar has launched PEDL, the cycle sharing service at Rs. 10 per 30 minutes....
PEDL was launched in Bangalore sometimes in May-June 2017. I have seen these cycles in HSR layout a few times and they look good. However I do not think a lot of people are using it. Could be because of their location.

The PEDL host benefits looks promising. What is the risk for the host in case the bikes are stolen.

A Bhpian had mentioned in the Zoomcar thread when this program was launched in Bangalore:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4204063

Last edited by jayantvs : 12th October 2017 at 15:12. Reason: Adding link
jayantvs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

News from China:

Chinese bike-share firm closes after 90 per cent of cycles stolen
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/socie...-cycles-stolen

Second Chinese bike-sharing firm shuts after public appeal fails to bring back stolen bicycles
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/socie...-cycles-stolen
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

While this sounds like a great idea, does our (lack of cycling) infrastructure and climate really support the initiative?

Quote:
Each PEDL cycle is designed to handle 2 years of intense use and has smart locks that can be unlocked using a QR code. It gets features like a custom designed aluminum alloy frame, drum brakes, an anti-slip chain, airless solid tyres, height adjustable seat and a storage basket.
Sounds fancy... but can't help but notice it's a single-speed bicycle! (where's that sweating icon when I need it... )
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
News from China:

Second Chinese bike-sharing firm shuts after public appeal fails to bring back stolen bicycles
The article also says
"Bike-sharing schemes have proved extremely popular in China, but companies face intense competition with about 30 operators in business."

So, this might be because of some rogue operators eliminating competition in a nasty way.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2017 at 11:30. Reason: typo
Spinnerr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:57   #7
BHPian

This is a very welcome service IMHO.

Even though currently the infrastructure (read roads, lanes etc) do not support riding a bicycle, with enough users the related agencies will be woken up from their slumber.

There are many people who wish to ride a bicycle but do not want to invest in one for various reasons. Also the current daily nuisance on haggling rickshawallas and unreliable public transport (at least here in Pune) will mean more people will use it for at least small distances.

Now it remains to be seen whether the experiment is successful enough for ZC to spread it out to other cities.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:28   #8
BHPian

Also depends on how much security these guys charge and how quick the refund/release is.

Ideally, this process needs no human interaction at all just like it is in EU. Use your credit/cycle card, unlock a bike, use it and lock it when you are done.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have used a similar service in NYC and Washington. Saw a lot of takers. Sometimes, specially in NYC there were no bikes at certain stand, while others were so filled you did not have place to return it and had to go search for another station. However, in India I doubt it will be a success. Maybe parents letting their kids ride one for fun, however unless the stand is really close to your place, I am skeptical about anyone using it. Pricing is great though.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 12th October 2017 at 19:03.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 19:22   #10
BHPian

Great initiative. I hope initiative becomes successful and the people use it responsibly.

This is very common in Netherlands, the bikes can be reserved easily using the app and unlock using the QR code.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 11:34   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Zoomcar has launched PEDL, the cycle sharing service at Rs. 10 per 30 minutes. PEDL will be beneficial for local use cases including last mile commuting.
Will be interesting to see if they can make a business out of it. Considering Zoom is primarily in the car rental business, cycles will contribute peanuts to their bottomline (if at all it picks up). This might be more of a CSR / PR exercise than anything serious.

In a country where 50-rupee monograms of cars are stolen, theft will be rampant.

Quote:
As part of the expansion plan, anyone can be a host to the PEDL service. The hosts must provide the physical space and the Zoomcar team will handle the rest.
Innovative idea, but I don't think anyone is going to bite! Not unless they're paid hard cash for their real estate.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 12:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
News from China:

Instead of closing down, they could have invested in hidden GPS transmitters.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 13:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PEDL partners include PayTM, McDonalds, Yatra, Goibibo and Quirk, with more expected to join later.
Nice initiative. I think they should use their partners' locations to station the bike. Like each Mc outlet hosting some cycles.

They could also start with registered users for this facility.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:55   #14
BHPian

This effort may be a failure in our country although I wish it succeeded. There are no dedicated road/path for cyclists. Moreover, we are not mentally that sincere and responsible when it comes to others property (rented cycle). As of now there is no fool proof anti theft mechanism socially and technically available.
smuniswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 20:48   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Staying in HSR and having used it in the family, I see it good for leisure, local use and last mile connectivity.
1. If you travel to office by Volvo, you can use this by paying Rs.10 to go to ORR bus stop 2km away instead of haggling with the auto guy for Rs.50.
2. My son has used it a couple of saturdays to go to the hobby classes in his school when his cycle had broken down.
3. I see a lot of people having leisure ride on weekends.
4. Even for those into casual cycling for health, its a much better alternative than investing in a cycle and maintaining it. Costs just Rs 10 per hour and dont have to bother with air, puncture, maintenance, etc.
5. It should also help a lot in the last mile connectivity around metro stations since it saves on auto fare.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks