Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2017, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Driver booked & licence suspended for blocking ambulance

The Ernakulam Rural police (Cochin, Kerala) have booked a case against Nirmal Jose, after a video of the ambulance having a tough time negotiating the obstacle went viral on social media. It was shifting an infant suffering a breathing problem from a private hospital to the Government Medical College.

The car in question, a Ford Ecosport TDCi managed to overtake the ambulance and did not pull to the side for about 15 minutes.

“The vehicle, bearing the registration number KL 17 L 202 just stayed in front with its hazard lights on and did not let us pass. It took us about 35 minutes to reach Kalamassery as against the average time of 20 minutes,” the ambulance driver Madhu says in the video footage.

A case was registered against the car driver, Nirmal Jose, for rash and negligent driving under Section 279 of the IPC (Rash driving or riding on a public way). ”
"He was later arrested and released on station bail. The vehicle remains in our custody, and the accused will have to file a claim petition in the court to get it released,” police sources said.

But the police will object to the claim petition unless the inquiry is completed. They are yet to take the statement of the ambulance driver and the family of the infant who was inside the ambulance as part of the inquiry. “We feel his [Jose’s] ignorance caused the unfortunate incident, and he realised the seriousness of his act only when we told him,” police sources added

"We have decided to suspend the licence for 3 months. And the accused will also be sent for a three-day attitudinal and behavioural training at our Drivers’ Training and Research Institute ” said Aluva Joint RTO C.S. Ayyappan.

The RTO did not find merit in the driver's claim that he did not intend to obstruct the ambulance but was piloting to clear way for it.

Meanwhile the new born infant even though stable, is still undergoing treatment in the ICU.

Sadly the incident shows lack of respect to human life.
Hopefully the fear of law will prevent it from recurring.
The swift action from authorities deserves an applaud.

Last edited by johannskaria : 21st October 2017 at 20:00.
johannskaria is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 20:30   #2
BHPian

re: Driver booked & licence suspended for blocking ambulance

Yes, this was all there in the online news channels and social media, two days ago. The reply of the accused was hilarious. He claimed he was clearing the way for the ambulance. Who would believe that nonsense after watching the video?
knightrider_7 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Yes, this was all there in the online news channels and social media, two days ago. The reply of the accused was hilarious. He claimed he was clearing the way for the ambulance. Who would believe that nonsense after watching the video?
His lawyer probably told him to claim that in order to avoid prosecution in case the child passed away as a result of this delay.

That would have converted the negligent driving case into a culpable homicide case.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ernakulam Rural Police. I don't believe our urban police are as active!

Whether the driver gets full punishment or not, I'm glad this issue got highlighted in main-stream media, it'd spread awareness that such road behaviour is a criminal offense! I almost always see vehicles rush behind Ambulances just because they get to jump the signal!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd October 2017 at 08:42. Reason: as requested
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The Ernakulam Rural police (Cochin, Kerala) have booked a case against Nirmal Jose .........[/i]
Hope this cancelling of license for 3 months acts as a deterrent to other superstars who aim to repeat this exercise. Should have been more stringent. I am assuming / hoping that the Traffic department is promoting this incident in various fora - online and offline as a means to teach the public of what must & mustn't be done in situations like this.

In Mumbai I find another peculiar occurrence, Here superstars will aim to follow the ambulance as it clears traffic for them and try and cut stop signs in the wake of the ambulance. But vigilant Traffic cops pull these cars aside and fine them for cutting signals.

Giving way to an ambulance is paying forward our karma in my opinion. God forbid, it may be us or our family members who may be in that ambulance next time and are being blocked by some self absorbed obnoxious moron.

I hope that little child who was being transported has recovered by now, Praying for his health.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 22:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
His lawyer probably told him to claim that in order to avoid prosecution in case the child passed away as a result of this delay.

That would have converted the negligent driving case into a culpable homicide case.
I hope he is suitably punished and does not get away with this by claiming ignorance of law. Setting a precedent would be the best deterrent than following a soft tone in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Ernakulam Rural Police. I don't believe our urban police are as active!

I almost always see vehicles rush behind Ambulances just because they get to jump the signal!
It's that attitude that you can get away with anything that fuels such incidences. And the accused in such cases will most likely be a repeating offender. Both the authorities have done really good job in this case. Especially sending the driver to awareness and training camp was a really nice touch.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 22:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

I am so impressed at this action. The apathy I see my motorists for emergency services really makes my blood boil. I hope other cities can also follow suit in such strict enforcement for such offences.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 22:24   #8
BHPian

I personally feel that the guy got it easy so far - three months suspension of license and a three day class for the act of playing with an infant's life is indeed very light.

There was much hue and cry in social media over not making this guy walk over hot coals. I do not blame the police or the RTO officials over this. This is probably the most they could do within the confines of the existing laws. There should probably be more stringent norms to deal with such deliberate mischief makers.
IndieGooner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 23:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Few years back I had this habit of standing my ground on the roads when bullied by call centre Tempo Travellers, etc. Now I give way to anyone who seems to be in a rush because of an incident I had in Kerala. I thought I was being bullied by a Tempo Traveller and didn't give way immediately but it turned out to be an ambulance. Thankfully it didn't get ugly as they saw I was traveling with my kids. That vehicle had no siren, no flashing lights, not even 'ambulance ' text on it. It was a regular Tempo Traveller. I learned to give the benefit of doubt to any vehicle that is in a rush.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 23:13   #10
NH7
BHPian

Serves the guy right;his driving made intentions very clear, and glad to hear the patient in the ambulance is stable. Now, all of us, atleast on this forum I'm sure,do give way to an ambulance, but is it always to allow safe passage on your RIGHT when it is possible?? A few days back, in fair city traffic, I did exactly that, while about 75% of other motorists chose to hug the right lane and give only notional/ millimetric clearance on their left. Overall, no benefit to the ambulance whatsoever. He had to weave, honk, repeat. And I got a glare from the ambulance driver for being in the minority, and on the lane he was forced to take by the other morons!
NH7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
Serves the guy right;his driving made intentions very clear, and glad to hear the patient in the ambulance is stable. Now, all of us, atleast on this forum I'm sure,do give way to an ambulance, but is it always to allow safe passage on your RIGHT when it is possible??
Probably, in practice, no real rule on this one. If I see an ambulance in the mirror, would, essentially get out of its way, whether that meant moving to left or right. In other words, let the emergency vehicle keep its lane. If I see it is already changing lane, then probably best to stay where I am. Just take each occasion as it goes and as it happens. Just one thing is important: indicate. Let the guy know if you are changing lanes to get out of his way.

As a by-the-way, I recall an underpass in London, just one lane in either direction. Very slow and heavy traffic. A fire engine needed to get through, and we all moved as far left as possible. I was amazed to see the fire engine pass: just didn't think there could be room!

Something one sees both back there in my mother country, and of course here, is what happens behind the emergency vehicle: people following close in its wake so that they too get through the traffic. At best, it's unfair, and at worst, dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 20:53   #12
BHPian

A real life thug, to say the least. Absolutely appalled to see such unprecedented act of inhumane act. Intentionally blocking ambulance's way deserves no place in a civilized society and people like him need to be put behind bars, for the longest term possible!

Kudos to the local police and authority for taking swift action against him.
Col Mehta is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks