Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Credit Card skimming fraud in IOCL petrol bunk

Yesterday, I had a very bad experience on my credit card in IOCL petrol Bunk, JP Nagar, Bangalore. I wanted to share this bitter experience to our Team BHPIans to avoid such instances in future. In summary, this is a case where My credit card is hacked by fuel station in collaboration with another person.(This is my opinion only)

I know there is a thread available on Credit card Frauds. But, this instance is very specific to Petrol Bunk as well as Credit card fraud. Hence, started a new thread.

Mods: if you think this need to be merged with "Another Credit Card Fraud" Thread, Please merge.

Scene 1: Instance/Modus Operandi:

Date and Time: 24th October, 8:11 AM
Place: J P Nagar 2nd Phase IOCL Petrol Bunk

I went to this bunk to fill the tank on my bike and there was a foreigner (Not sure which country. Also, not sure if he is part of this criminal deal) already getting his bike filled. He gave his credit card to pay his amount.
Post that, before scratching his card, the fuel station attendee asked whether I will pay with cash or card.
I said, I will use my card. He filled my bike tank and collected my card as well.

Then, he brought the swiping machine, swiped foreigners card first(Donot remember if the foreigner typed the PIN) and immediately my card.

I was asked to type my PIN. Post which I got a receipt and I proceeded to office.

Scene 2:
Time: 1:50 PM (Same day)
I was having my lunch in my office and got an SMS stating my credit card transaction for INR 4816 at AGODA HOTEL is successful.

Luckily, I read the SMS immediately and caught that this is a fraud transaction. Immediately, I called up Citi Call center and got my card blocked in 3 mins (Because of IVR, I had to spend LONG LONG 3 mins to reach the right citi phone officer and block the card)

Within these 3 mins, there were more than 10 transactions from various part of the globe in various currencies. (Like, INR, Canadian Dollars, US Dollars, Euros, Indonesian Rupia, Australian Dollars, etc). All these are from various sites like TONYQUINN.com, LVD Fitness, HISTORY OF NY, NETFLIX.COM etc

Also, i started getting SMS regarding OTPs for many Fraud transactions.

Total loss approximately is in the order of Rs. 45000 approximately.

Even after I blocked the card, I got to know from the Citi PHone officer while discussing about this case, that there were multiple such requests are still hitting and getting declined because of blockage.

Citi officers informed me that although these transactions are already approved, they will raise dispute when Merchant claims the amount and I will MOSTLY be protected through their standard investigation process.

Now, I am not sure what is the next step. Any advice to handle this situation further will definitely be of great help.

I am not really sure how and what did the Foreigner and petrol bunk guy did during my credit card swiping. Did they configure the machine to read my card data + PIN and did the above fraud? Or is there any other network in the back ground who hacks ? These need to be investigated.

I am really not aware whether Police (Cyber branch) will consider this case to investigate and succeed. Also, i am not sure if I should take up this with Police or Bank will take this up through their part of investigation.

Request experts who have knowledge about this to suggest next steps.

Last edited by gkveda : 25th October 2017 at 17:32.
gkveda is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:52   #2
BHPian

re: Credit Card skimming fraud in IOCL petrol bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Scene 2:
Time: 1:50 PM (Same day)
I was having my lunch in my office and got an SMS stating my credit card transaction for INR 4816 at AGODA HOTEL is successful.
Transaction successful without OTP without physically swiping the card? But how??? Could be an error or some serious manipulation.

Apart from the 4816/- all other transactions were declined as you blocked your card swiftly. If so, nothing to worry.

Keep following this up with the bank until the charges are reversed. Since citi offers best customer service it will resolve the case to your satisfaction.

PS - why don't you call up Agoda and inquire about the transaction?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 25th October 2017 at 17:53.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:56   #3
BHPian

Are you sure that you were returned your own card?

Here is a possibility.

- Someone read your pin while you were entering it.
- They gave you a similar looking citi bank credit card instead of your card.

Voila! Now they have your card + pin.

Edit:

I was going through benefits of different type of citi bank cards a few months back. I recall some of those card had anti fraud protection. Please search internet whether you were provided the benefit.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 25th October 2017 at 18:01.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Since you are sure that IOCL pump was the source of fraud, contact the Bangalore Cyber Crime Police.

http://www.cyberpolicebangalore.nic.in/Contact-us.html

Cyber Crime Police Station,
CID Annexe Building, Carlton House,
# 1, Palace Road,
Bangalore - 560001.

Telephone:
+91- 080- 22094498
SmartCat is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Gkveda , I guess yours was a chip card ? Did the attendant swipe the card or insert the chip ? Chip cards are supposed to be more secure.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

And hope the pump has a working security cam.

Good luck.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Are you sure that you were returned your own card?

Here is a possibility.

- Someone read your pin while you were entering it.
- They gave you a similar looking citi bank credit card instead of your card.

Voila! Now they have your card + pin.
1. Pardon my ignorance but Agoda is an online booking portal for hotels, travel, etc., Using the card on that portal must mandate an OTP to post a successful transaction. OP hasn't received any OTP for the Agoda transaction and yet he received a successful transaction text SMS which indicates that either the transaction must be a human or server error or the card must have been used in any affiliates of Agoda hotels which again is not possible without having a original card or morphing another card with the details in magnetic strip. Phew!

2. Even if the 'shady guy/gal' has OP's credit card why would OP receive OTPs for subsequent transactions? Won't a swipe + PIN been enough for the transaction to be successful?

Either way - 'Citi never sleeps' if it still holds true.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 25th October 2017 at 18:38.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:36   #8
BHPian

OTP is not required in case of international transaction. I would not be suprised if the foreigner had a camera (like Go Pro) and he recorded everything the credit card number, the CVV on the back and the PIN you entered in a video recording and later used that for making transactions.
wrongturn is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:42   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I went to this bunk to fill the tank on my bike and there was a foreigner (Not sure which country. Also, not sure if he is part of this criminal deal) already getting his bike filled.
Maybe or maybe not, but i think there could have been a connection. In the recent past there was a big atm card fraud which happened in Trivandrum involving foreigners.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le14562190.ece

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle8963556.ece
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:46   #10
BHPian

As wrongturn said, international transactions don't need an OTP.

Is it possible that the petrol pump attendant returned you the foreigner's card and used yours to make transactions on overseas portals? Did you check your card again?

I think you should meet the petrol pump's owner and ask him to inquire into it and identify the attendant if required.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
OTP is not required in case of international transaction. I would not be suprised if the foreigner had a camera (like Go Pro) and he recorded everything the credit card number, the CVV on the back and the PIN you entered in a video recording and later used that for making transactions.
It now becomes imperative to scratch the CVV off after memorizing it.
rajeev k is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

OTP or 2 factory authentication is something mandated by RBI for merchant transactions in India only. Anywhere else you just swipe your card and money goes away instantly. Netflix, Aliexpress are other everyday or common examples where we never enter any Internet Banking Password or OTP to authorize, all that it needs is just card no, expiry date and CVV.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:13   #13
BHPian

Don't worry. You have zero liability if you report these transactions within 3 working days. Get it from the bank in writing that they have received your complaint.

RBI Notification
batish is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience with HDFC where INR 45000 was used on a foriegn website fraudulently. My phone was switched off that day hence I did not realise the transaction. I came to know of this only the next day and I promptly reported this to get the card blocked. Thereafter raised a complaint as well.

Although my complaint was made next day, it was honoured and after their due diligence the transaction was reversed. I never came to know what happened other than that the card details were used to carry out some transactions on foriegn websites.
vibbs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

In my card, the moment I make a transaction which seems out of place (say a different country, different cities or some extremely high amount), I get a voice call by a bank officer verifying if I have done that transaction. Incase its a fraud, the transaction is reversed and the card will be blocked. Also I get sms for each transaction and card is chip enabled with a pin. I wonder why all cards can't be like that?
apachelongbow is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed