Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Last but not the least - Make all lanes FASTag (Automated) and have just one cash lane and even with that charge 10% more for cash payers - The only way you can make them buy these tags
Well, can't force everyone to use Fastag because not everyone is highway user & in this country where everything starts with protesting any ruling govt, folks will start accusing, esp the politicians who want to evade toll to show their power. But yes, charging few percent more for cash is welcome move.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:44   #17
BHPian

re: FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021

I have an idea/suggestion on making FASTag work better. Wish it reaches the concerned authorities and implemented (if it makes sense and practical).

Current practice in most toll plazas-

Place some cones at the FASTag lane entrance and move them manually after checking if the vehicle indeed has the sticker! Then if the vehicle with the sticker moves ahead, there is the second round of verification either through the automatic scanner/manual scan.

New idea-

Why not have the boom barrier and the scanner at the FASTag lane entrance? Obviously vehicles without FASTag trying to enter the FASTag lane cannot enter and the process would be a lot smoother. And if installing the automatic scanner at the entrance to the FASTag lane is not possible, then they can always manually scan and let the vehicle pass (which they do anyway at the second round in the current practice) .

Of course, in an ideal world we would like to see all lanes having FASTag scanners, fully automated and all the vehicles moving seamlessly. Since this might never happen we need to think out of the lane!

Last edited by Nalin1 : 3rd November 2017 at 20:07.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

After I got my FASTag in February 2017, the first 'toll' I cross is MSRDC managed Vashi Toll where I am promptly told the FASTag won't work. So this is worthless for the toll plaza I cross twice a day, as MSRDC RFID tag still works the monthly pass way rather than 'pay per use'

That said, as if to assuage my feelings, FASTag works seamlessly on NHAI tolls (Mumbai-Pune expressway and beyond). So seamlessly in fact, that once my lane at the Khalapur toll plaza was let off toll-exempted to make way for some convoy, but then FASTag worked beautiful even at a passing speed of 30 km/hr promptly deducting my toll!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

That said, as if to assuage my feelings, FASTag works seamlessly on NHAI tolls (Mumbai-Pune expressway and beyond). So seamlessly in fact, that once my lane at the Khalapur toll plaza was let off toll-exempted to make way for some convoy, but then FASTag worked beautiful even at a passing speed of 30 km/hr promptly deducting my toll!
Which tag do you use and where have you pasted it?
My fastag exp has been below par. Tag has to be manually scanned every time on MPEW and the scanner gun has to literally touch the windscreen for it to work.
I drive a polo gt and have pasted the tag just behind the IRVM
I use tag issued by AXIS bank
Old 4th November 2017, 08:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Which tag do you use and where have you pasted it?
FASTag issued by ICICI pasted centrally just below the IVRM dotted pattern on windscreen. While some remote toll plazas needed to manually scan with a hand-held device, at major toll plazas it always worked without any intervention
Old 4th November 2017, 09:35   #21
BHPian

I have done atleast 10highway trips with Fastag in the past one year. Except for the non tag cars blocking the lane no major hiccups so far. Every time I do a trip my wife praises me for using the tag as it saves atleast 30 min one way.

No change is easier and perfect to implement. It takes a lot of time and effort to educate the masses in India.

I worry about a different thing in this mandatory rule. Once 90% are so vehicles are Fastag compliant no body would actually notice the raise in Toll charges which can be silently and unscrupulously done by these daylight robbers(NHAI and Contractors).

FYI: I use ICICI fastag, pasted on the right upper corner of the windshield, most of my travel is between Bangalore and Chennai(350 Km one way)
Old 4th November 2017, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

New idea-

Why not have the boom barrier and the scanner at the FASTag lane entrance? Obviously vehicles without FASTag trying to enter the FASTag lane cannot enter and the process would be a lot smoother. And if installing the automatic scanner at the entrance to the FASTag lane is not possible, then they can always manually scan and let the vehicle pass (which they do anyway at the second round in the current practice) .

Of course, in an ideal world we would like to see all lanes having FASTag scanners, fully automated and all the vehicles moving seamlessly. Since this might never happen we need to think out of the lane!
Nice one! You can try tweeting it to the ministry of road transport and highways! That's one solution to a practical problem!

Besides, trucks/buses having zero balance is the most annoying part about Fastag! Until fines are imposed, Fastag will remain inefficient!

The biggest losers are the toll operators! Their transactions are becoming more transparent!

Last edited by Turbohead : 4th November 2017 at 11:25.
Old 4th November 2017, 13:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
You can try tweeting it to the ministry of road transport and highways!
Tweets Sure!

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screenshot_20171104134256.png

Neither the representing Minister or the Ministry is least bothered about such tweets. That's the one I tweeted few days back to show them some reality with FASTags and none even acknowledged with a standard response!
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 17:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

3 days back I was travelling from Nashik to Mumbai, the two tolls had one lane each (No.2 lane) for Fastag. However there were no cars in that lane. On careful observation I saw a scanner and a barrier much before the actual toll booth so only Fastag vehicles can pass through. A good move indeed. However the problem is when there are too many cars.
Old 4th November 2017, 21:38   #25
BHPian

What amazes me is that tag based toll collection has been aroud in India for > 10 years and has been around all over the world for such a long time. Yet we are nowhere near implementing this in any consistent way in our country.

FASTag is a great initiative, we now need to ensure that it works properly and smoothly for everyone.

There has to be some kind of a penalty for misusing tag lanes and also some measures to make tag usage smoother for everyone involved.

Some things that I could think up:
  1. Those with expired tags should have to pay a penalty for blocking a tag lane. Alternatively have a mechanism whereby those with expired tags are pushed onto a separate recharge lane w/o blocking the tag lane. This was very well implemented on the DND tollway for the gold cards. This sort of a mechanism can end up requiring a separate cash lane for every tag lane, but done properly, this can greatly improve the usage of tags for toll collection. It is also easy to implement a mandatory minimum recharge of tag or purchase of a new tag for non working/defective tags for those who misuse the facility of being shifted to a cash/recharge lane in case tag does not work.
  2. Give a discount for tag usage or charge a surcharge for cash passage. I think that giving a discount for tag usage will be a good way to encourage tag usage.
  3. In case someone goes into a tag lane with no tag on the vehicle, then levy a fine for cash passage
  4. Make it mandatory for buses and trucks to use tags. These users are typically regular users and they also make up a bulk of the traffic at a large number of highway toll plazas. Making tags mandatory for them can end up in huge time savings for everyone involved.
  5. Ensure that all toll plazas support tags. If required pass a law or a ordinance which makes it mandatory for all types of toll plazas to support tags.
  6. Make tags mandatory for local vehicles who get discounts or pay no toll at local toll plazas.
  7. Have dedicated tag recharge points 500m or some set distance before every toll plaza. So that any tag user who is low on funds is able to recharge before proceeding to the toll plaza.
  8. Show the amount remaining and warn users if they are not going to be able to pay next 1-2 toll on the same route.
  9. Have some kind of a standard for tag readers and locations in vehicles where tags need to be placed.
  10. And have some way for testing tag lanes for proper tag reader functionality. NHAI could develop special test vehicle(s) which can be used to pass through every tag lane on the toll plaza to ensure that tag reader machines are working properly. Toll operators should then be required to ensure that all the toll lanes at a plaza pass through these tag inspections once every 7 or 15 days.

-- no1lives4ever
Old 4th November 2017, 21:39   #26
BHPian

I have been using the ICICI Fastag and travel a lot on the Bangalore - Salem - CBT - EKm and BLR - SLM - Dindugal - Kumily route. 90% of the times its smooth except for occasional fools who enter the lane without a tag and then Argue at the exit. However, while returning to BLR after long vacations esp on Sunday evenings Tag or no tag nothing can save you from the invading army of cars. More Tag users will surely help however the scanners aren't the best right now, sure those are minor issues and will be fixed.

This is surely a step in the right direction, also kinda throws light on how our country men won't adopt a change for good unless its forced upon them. A very sad situation actually
Old 5th November 2017, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

I travel in South India - Mainly Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. I have noticed prominent signs saying that non Fasttag users in Fasttag lane will have to pay double toll. How come no one else has noticed this?
Moreover, fasttag will help you only in the last 100 Mts. Most of the rush will block access to the fasttag lane. This is to be expected when two lanes diverge into 6-8 toll booths. Traffic will flow smoother when there are no bottlenecks. Have 2 toll booths with one fasttag and one cash and dividers 1 km away. This is the only way Fasttag will be faster.
Old 30th November 2017, 22:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

MSIL shares instructions to dealers on how to install Fastag.

A detailed PDF File is attached. It is not yet clear how the accounts would be made and linked to individual customers. I hope existing vehicle owners can get Fastag at the dealerships itself. This would save some time and can be done during the next visit e.g. during servicing.

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.32.22-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.32.52-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.33.00-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.33.28-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.33.40-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.33.51-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.34.04-pm.png

FASTag RFID mandatory on all new cars from 1st December, 2017 EDIT:No cash payments from 01 Jan 2021-screen-shot-20171130-10.34.22-pm.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FASTag Installation Process.pdf (2.67 MB, 6872 views)
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:33   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I travel in South India - Mainly Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. I have noticed prominent signs saying that non Fasttag users in Fasttag lane will have to pay double toll. How come no one else has noticed this?
This rule is there from day 1. However I have never seen them implement this. Actually these guys are not keen to make this Fastag initiative a success.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 10:17   #30

I have just completed a 2000 kms journey in Rajasthan, originating from and terminating in Gurgaon, with Fastag. Ended yesterday.

Except one toll plaza, I had taken more time to pass through than what I would normally take when paying cash. Problem being, limited fastag lanes and all kinds of vehicles crowding that lane. In fact it has taken me more time to procure and activate the tag than the time I have actually saved in travel. So, it has not been a good decision to use the tag.

The only silver lining is that most toll plazas told me that from Jan 1 2018, all lanes will have Fastag receivers activated. Effectively, creating a hybrid system wherein fastag users like me don't have to feel that much miserable waiting at the tolls. Well, that's a test to undertake for another day.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2018 at 09:25. Reason: thru = through

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks