Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Umling La - The highest motorable road in the world

Yet another claim to fame for the worlds highest motor-able road.

"This road connecting Leh to the Pangong Lake has a stretch that passes through Kela Pass at 18,600 feet. Officials say it is the world's highest motorable road for the general public."
Old 17th November 2021, 10:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

16th Nov. 2021.

BRO gets Guinness World Records entry for world's highest motorable road at Umling La.

Name:  webp.netcompressimage396193c571cc917.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote:
So it's official now. Umling La (also known as Umlingla) is the world's highest motorable road and Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has been awarded the Guinness World Record certificate for constructing the same. Director General Border Roads (DGBR) Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhry on Tuesday received the Guinness World Records certificate. BRO has been given the world record for constructing and blacktopping the world’s highest motorable road at 19,024 feet at Umling la Pass in Ladakh. In a virtual ceremony, the official adjudicator of the Guinness World Records based in the United Kingdom Rishi Nath acknowledged the remarkable achievement of BRO for constructing the highest altitude road in the world. In a four-month-long process undertaken by the Guinness World Records, five different surveyors verified the claim.
Source: https://psuwatch.com/umling-la-bro-g...-road-umlingla

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 17th November 2021 at 10:05.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

The surprising part of above is that BRO claims the height of 19,300 feet for Umling La, while Guinness book has certified the height as 19,024 feet. That's quite a difference. Don't know which is true.
Old 30th June 2022, 19:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The surprising part of above is that BRO claims the height of 19,300 feet for Umling La, while Guinness book has certified the height as 19,024 feet. That's quite a difference. Don't know which is true.
Altitude has been update to 19,024 feet this season. Last year it was mentioned as 19,300 feet.

Here's a photo I took last year in October. I wanted to shoot the Milky Way and a small timelapse here so I spent more than 1 hour after returning from Demchok.
Umling La - The highest motorable road in the world-hondaumlingla.jpg

I also did Kela Pass (18,600 feet) that time and it was a wonderful experience for me as there was no one using this route. Everyone was taking the usual Chang La pass route to go Pangong from Leh.
Umling La - The highest motorable road in the world-sun_2108.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 20:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Altitude has been update to 19,024 feet this season. Last year it was mentioned as 19,300 feet.
Thanks for confirming. Why did it take the Guinness Book to confirm the height, when the road was actually built by the BRO themselves. Even Khardungla height was a misguided one.

Quote:
I also did Kela Pass (18,600 feet) that time and it was a wonderful experience for me as there was no one using this route. Everyone was taking the usual Chang La pass route to go Pangong from Leh.
How is the route to Kela pass. Is it tarred or a dirt track ?
Old 30th June 2022, 20:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Thanks for confirming. Why did it take the Guinness Book to confirm the height, when the road was actually built by the BRO themselves. Even Khardungla height was a misguided one.
BRO invited Guinness World Records team for the claim of building the highest motorable road in the world and I believe Guinness team does have their own procedure to cross check the claim with advanced devices than the BRO may have.

Khardung La is at 17,582 feet but they still mention it as 17,982 feet. Earlier claim was 18,380 feet!

Quote:
How is the route to Kela pass. Is it tarred or a dirt track ?
It's all dirt track with some very bad patches but manageable with a high GC car. A small water crossing too after Kela Lake. I've posted an aerial 360 on Google maps. Do search Kela Pass on GMaps and look for 360.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post

Here's a photo I took last year in October. I wanted to shoot the Milky Way and a small timelapse here so I spent more than 1 hour after returning from Demchok.
Attachment 2327512

Attachment 2327520
Hi, is Umlingla now open to civilians? What kind of permission do people need to reach the past?
Old 1st July 2022, 20:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi, is Umlingla now open to civilians? What kind of permission do people need to reach the past?
Yes, Umling La is open for tourists. Paying environmental fee only for Hanle route is more than enough to visit Umling La.
I went last year but this year lots of people have done it already.

It takes around 2.5 - 3 hours via Photi La and 3.5 - 4 hours via Nurbu La from Hanle.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 22:59   #39
BHPian

New Highest Motorable Road soon

BRO Begins Construction Of World's Highest Motorable Road At 19,400 Feet, Surpassing Umling-La Pass

In a bid to enhance connectivity in border areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has begun the construction of the world's highest motorable road.

The Likaru-Mig La-Fukche road will traverse at an altitude of 19,400 feet and surpass the current world's highest motorable road — the Chisumle-Demchok road, which traverses the 19,300 feet high Umling-la pass.

Link to news source
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/bro-...g-la-pass-road

Last edited by aviator1101 : 15th August 2023 at 23:00.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed