Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2006, 13:13   #46
Team-BHP Support

With the cops in Bangalore turning a blind eye to the occurences and concentrating more on looting ur hard earned money, dont think there wud be any effect as such complaining to them, as pointed out by others on this forum.

Speaking to higher-ups in IT companies will yield no effect, as they wud simply ask u to commute by the company vehicle. Under such circumstances, u have to put up with getting off 2 blocks away from your house, and walking the rest of the way. Which is safer??
Old 1st December 2006, 14:00   #47
BHPian

i know the feeling, i was just thinking about it on my way to lunch.

If something similar were happening here in Chennai, would I have to courage to go and ask the nearby police for help, or would I turn back wondering if the cop is hand in glove with the thugs?

anyway, like you pointed out, unless some senior person gets some innocently first hand experience of such stuff, the situation might not improve.
Old 1st December 2006, 14:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Happens everywhere I guess. Last year, fellow member alen was riding home on Valentine's day on his bike. Suddenly, a few youths on the road acused him for "teasing a girl". WHen he stopped to protest, the youths started arguing with him.Then he was beaten up and his valuables looted.
Old 1st December 2006, 14:15   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
What is the relevance of this statement under the circumstances? Sorry, I must have missed something here.... ....has it been established that these goons were North Indian??????
The pillion who snatched my cell was not the typical southie-looking type: he was lighter colored with a bronze-tanned complexion. Cant say much abt the rider - he had a helmet

Last edited by theMAG : 1st December 2006 at 14:24.
Old 1st December 2006, 14:32   #50
BHPian

Hi.. Sorry for being too much military type... why don't you guys drive together.. as in a convoy.. You can maybe post a time when you leave in the company bb.. 2 cars have more chance against one... Can co-ordinate with mobil phones to if you feel something suspicious
Old 1st December 2006, 14:40   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
the feeling of violation of personal space. Cmon man, you guys are not living in Bihar. You dont deserve this.
Spot on - I'm not that perturbed that my cell got pinched than the feeling violation of my personal space.

The problem thats descended on Bangalore is this - and me being a native Bangalorean have my own unique PoV: You have the high profile IT/ITES industry in BLR that everyone's heard of and want to get a piece of the action. So people from across the country come to Bangalore. Thats fine - its nice to have a cultural melting pot. Then comes the reality: people in the IT/ITES sector have a higher-baseline salary with even freshers getting paid more than their fathers at the time of retirement. This is still fine. BUT, the sections of society that have been below the poverty-line (the largest section of the Indian populace) continue to rot in the same circles, while this other smaller new-gen workforce get paid incredible sums of money. Migrant(read uneducated/lowly educated people from Karnataka/India now want to come to BLR to become a driver, carpenter or anything else riding the boom. They then come face-face with reality that getting a job is not the Peter's Gate situation they had hoped. And now they realize the easy way of making money - taking it from those who have it and the highest visibility folks -the IT/ITES sector.

Looking at this perspective, its not hard to understand why ITES girls get kidnapped and raped, everyone else gets mugged and so on. The cops - well, they have upped their game signifcantly - but the number of people in BLR is always greater than the strength of the police force.

I dont foresee any workable solution to this problem namma Bengalooru is now facing.
Old 1st December 2006, 19:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

sad that such things happen in Bangalore..

One more point would be to take a more circuituous route home which is better lit with less traffic..than the ones where you are in a stop and go situation.

If the car is stopped too..it will not be wise to get out for anything as we are more vulnerable outside our car than otherwise.. Its OK even if the car gets damaged as we could claim insurance..

My condolences to the victims to this scandal.. at Bangalore..
Old 1st December 2006, 22:26   #53
BHPian

Hey turbo freak
If you are in touch with this aztec guy please can you clarify these things.

Quote:
Meanwhile, he called some of his friends on his mobile phone giving the exact directions. In less than 3 minutes, 3 more people arrived and started accusing and hitting me.
If there was a traffic jam how did this 3 bikers reach in 3 minutes
Might be possible if this was a organised stuff,

Quote:
I finally relented saying that we could go the nearby hospital in JP nagar or bannerghatta road. One of them sat besides me while three others started following me. They started insisting that I turn my vehicle to go some particular hospital in their area.
If nothing had happened why suggest a hospital, agreed it can be ruse if the thugs put the suggestion of hospital to take him to an isolated spot

Looks like this chap invited trouble himself by offering the hospital idea.

Quote:
While this was happening, there was a truck that was blocking our way ( fortunately and unfortunately ) and the person sitting besides me stepped out to shout at the truck driver. Unfortunately - because the truck scratched my car and fortunately - because I felt that I could escape from these thugs.

Does not tie in did the truck scratch the car or the car banged the truck.
Either ways it was some ethical thug to get out and shout at the trucker blocking the way.
Instead of escaping from the hoodlums why not call the cops when the thug got out of the car??
Law is law corrupt or not atleast you do not hear of cops getting violent with the innocent people.

Quote:
What followed was even more scary. In just a few minutes, almost 20-30 people ( most of them drunk ) got involved in this

30 drunk people on the road little dubious unless he was near a bar that dots all along bannerghatta road.

Quote:
The matter went on for another 15-20 mins after my folks arrived and
Guess the cops could have come in about the same time,

Any ways my take on this episode...

Firstly my regret to the chap who went through this if he did.

Few facts metioned do not tie in , could be because he could not articulate that on the mail

such incidents do not happen with out any provacation and I KNOW OF people of such kind who pick fights even for overtaking them.
But there is some provocation.
And yes bangalore is famous for mob mentality but that's more a indian phenomena, than being bangalore specific.

Resolutions to such problems are just being on a watchout to avoid such situations.

There are some people who hate bangalore, my question why live in city that you do not like.
Just a advice from me to such people, just like the old adage goes
"be a roman while in rome"

Please do not take me to be a bangalore fan but I resist ideas that limit problems to geographies.
Yes there are problems that can be limited
Like for ex: Bihar what comes to your mind when you hear the very word
Bad roads : bangalore wins hands down.

Bad politicians : well this is not a isolated issue a common problem.

I just hope the administrators pitch in from people rasing comments on geographies/sections of society/religion etc..

Just my thoughts no intentions to hurt anyone's sentiments

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 1st December 2006 at 22:28.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:05   #54
BHPian

I had a similar experience (though not quite so bad) last evening while driving home from work. The difference is, this happened on Airport Road at around 7.00 pm between the Manipal hospital U-turn and the Kodihalli bus stop. This is one of the most crowded areas of the city, especially at this time of the evening with bumper to bumper traffic!

Anyway, I was driving towards the bus stop (after taking the U-turn) when two guys on a bike overtook me from the left, banged on the side of the car and yelled for me to stop. They then pulled in front and parked the bike sideways blocking my exit, came around ot the drivers side window and started the usual rubbish about accident etc.

The first thing that popped into my mind was this thread (thanks Team-BHP) so I remained in the car, in the middle of the road (with traffic piling up behind) and flatly refused to park at the side or get out. I guess this must have frustrated them because after a bit they took off, cursing and swearing.

I reported the incident to the police later that evening, but unforunately did not note the number of the bike. I'd like to say here again (as many others have stated perviously). DO NOT under any circumstances get out of your vehicle. Try and stay in the center of the road. This will force a crowd to build up and places the hoodlums at a disadvantage.

For anyone who needs it, here is the number of the Airport road police station (080) 2294 2544.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:36   #55
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
The first thing that popped into my mind was this thread (thanks Team-BHP) so I remained in the car, in the middle of the road (with traffic piling up behind) and flatly refused to park at the side or get out. I guess this must have frustrated them because after a bit they took off, cursing and swearing.
Excellent, you did the right thing...
Something that everybody should follow.
Sad that you couldn't note the reg no of the bike.

I have an idea. If you have a cam, y dont u keep it inside the car and if such things happen take photos of these culprits and will definitely be a valuable proof for police.
Here the basic thump rule remains the same. Never get out of the car.

Last edited by kph : 6th December 2006 at 12:44.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:04   #56
BHPian

In situations like these, the first thing you need to do is ask the trouble seekers to come to the nearest police station.. most goons will slither off if you are adamant about it. if they dont heed.. grab hold of anything you can like a wheel spanner.. no point in showing that you are weak. i have a spanner under my seat all time you know you are in trouble then why take all the abuse when you can gain some ground with some thing in your hand.. ofcourse you have to be careful when too many are around.. best bet be wary of isolated roads and travelling on the outskirts late at night. Change your route once in a few days..cos organised goons do a lot of planning before they attack and they study each driver and know when and whom to attack..

Last edited by shazikon : 6th December 2006 at 13:09.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:19   #57
BHPian

[why don't you guys drive together.. as in a convoy.. You can maybe post a time when you leave in the company bb.. 2 cars have more chance against one... Can co-ordinate with mobil phones to if you feel something suspicious[/quote]

This does sounds like a good idea, but dunno how far its practical.
I commute from MG road (park at Brunton road) to JP nagar 7th phase (Dollars colony side). Normally leave around 6 pm. Take the route via KH road and then via Jayanagar Would be glad to tail some TBHP'ian.

Also was wondering if the TBHP sticker can be still obtained. Guess it will be easier to identify members easily on the road at times like these.
And also hope more people join this group and thus rncrease our tribe!
Old 6th December 2006, 14:34   #58
BHPian

From what I read here, it appears that they strike (mostly) people who are travelling alone in a car. We thus need to be more aware and alert when driving alone.

I agree that we should not get out of the car under any circumstances. Please also be careful to ensure that your car doors are locked - most people keep the car doors open so that if anyone is trying to get your attention, they can open the car door and drag you out.

One more thing that you can do is ask people to approach you and speak to you from the other side (i.e., not the driver's side) speak from there; the threat is reduced to a greater extent.

If possible, then keep windows closed too.

If followed by motorbikes who intend to stop your car, try and drive towards the nearest police station and stop there. I agree that policemen are not very helpful in most instances, but I think just going towards and making an effort to stop at a police station will drive off most muggers.

I recall one night i was driving home in Hebbal area and honked at two men on a motorcycle who were driving erratically (with intent to overtake the motorcycle). The motorcycle rider got aggressive and started driving next to me and shouting at me. I sped up, overtook them and stopped at the traffic police outpost under Hebbal bridge, but the motorcycle following me was nowhere to be seen.

Perhaps one of our whiz-kid members can post a map of Bangalore online with the police stations/outposts marked on it which we can carry / memorize.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:44   #59
BHPian

sad that u have gone through this.. what else could u do ..i think all the the best possible ways u have tried..

It reminds me of my school days when i saw a gang of 6people entered into a bus jumped on the passenger tried their best to take out whatever he had and then simply jumped off it.,. the conductor of the bus was telling that this gang does it regularly..hmm nobody in the bus could guess whats going on.

This was in Delhi
Old 4th May 2007, 14:03   #60
BHPian

Guys!!!
Due respect to what has happenned!!! I think we can spin pages and nothing is going to work out!!!
Some personal responsible steps in the first place.

-> Do you exercise
-> Learn martial arts (I have been doing this for 20+ years.. Black belt- Karate and Tai chi for more than 5 years)... Its not the art but your heart
These guys work on the FEAR syndrome
-> IT guys are perceived as weak and rich... easy targets... lets change that... We can .... if we do this...

Lets exchange nos.... We as a group can outnumber these thugs and protect ourselves
We can work as a team and take care of these incidents...

If we are going to just talk and leave.... just read my blog and move on...
No offense to anyone... I have nt read anyone's blog as of now... just angry as to how someone can be taken for a ride

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks