Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2006, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Motorist assaulted by hoodlums, Bangalore

Hi everyone,

Here's a real life incident which happened yesterday to an employee of a software company in Bangalore. It was mailed to his colleagues.
Feel its important for all Bangalore motorists to hear his case.
Am copying the contents of his mail here:

Hi,

I would like to describe the traumatic incident that I underwent when I was traveling back home yesterday so that it may help our other friends and also to explore if we can do something that can help us all . I live on Bannerghatta road and work at the Aztecsoft - A4 office on the inner ring road. I have started using the new road that connects BTM and Bannerghatta road which is along the Madiwala lake in order to avoid the traffic jams.

It was around 7:45 PM when I was just waiting to merge with the Bannerghatta road when a person started banging my left window. I was surprised and lowered the window to know the reason. He started accusing that I have hit his 2 wheeler. I was not willing to get down suspecting his behavior but finally had to come out and argue with him. As I came out, he hit me on the face while continuously accusing. Since I could no longer take this, I hit him back. Meanwhile, he called some of his friends on his mobile phone giving the exact directions. In less than 3 minutes, 3 more people arrived and started accusing and hitting me. These thugs wanted me to accept that I have hit his vehicle and need compensation and necessary relief. I finally relented saying that we could go the nearby hospital in JP nagar or bannerghatta road. One of them sat besides me while three others started following me. They started insisting that I turn my vehicle to go some particular hospital in their area. I was not willing to do that since I started fearing that I was been taken to some place in their area and they could do anything with me. While this was happening, there was a truck that was blocking our way ( fortunately and unfortunately ) and the person sitting besides me stepped out to shout at the truck driver. Unfortunately - because the truck scratched my car and fortunately - because I felt that I could escape from these thugs. I swung my car immediately and started driving towards bannerghatta road. However, in a short while, I was stuck again in a jam and these thugs followed me in 2 wheelers and blocked my way on the busy bannerghatta road. I helplessly tried to block the traffic for few minutes thinking that some cop might come which could help the situation.

What followed was even more scary. In just a few minutes, almost 20-30 people ( most of them drunk ) got involved in this. Most of them had no clue of what had happened but were just shouting, accusing and demanding money. I was hit at least 6-7 times on the head, neck and shoulders. Since I was feeling totally helpless at this moment, I decided to call home and call my father. Some of the folks were not even allowing me to call on the mobile. At one point, I saw one of the person trying to hit me with a big stone. At some point, one of them started demanding how much cash I have. I just kept quiet saying that my father will be coming with the money to settle this. I was slightly hesitant to open my wallet since I had Rs 10000/- that I had withdrawn couple of days back.

The matter went on for another 15-20 mins after my folks arrived and finally they demanded 7000/-. My father paid him whatever he had ( 5600/- ) and in minutes the crowd disappeared. While this was happening, a Cop came who seemed to be not interested in providing any relief. We anyway wanted to get out of this situation as soon as possible.

While driving back, I was thinking back to see if I could have done anything different in this situation. I felt that I was totally helpless. Infact, my family tried to call 100 ( Police phone number ) many times when this was happening but did not get any response. Later, I contacted one of the senior police officers ( who is known to us ) to apprise him of the situation so that they could put some vigilance in that area. We learnt that the police have heard about more such events where even cars have been stopped with some pretext and people robbed of all the valuables in that area.

Finally I was at my home with a bruised head and a damaged car with Rs 5600/- as Miscellaneous expenses being paid for no mistake of mine. While I was just hoping to spend half an hour with my daughter by taking the new road on my way back, I was never aware of the events that were going to unfold yesterday !

Few learning's:

- Avoid the lesser traveled, lesser lit roads.

- Do not have excess cash with you.

- We need to have some immediate phone numbers for assistance ( like 911 in US )

- Do not stop and get out of the car when approached by suspecting strangers

- Thinking back, it will be better to settle with some cash given at the spot instead of extending the argument.

- Explore car pooling if possible.

- Accept the fact that traffic jams are a way of life in Bangalore ( Unfortunate ! )

Regards,

Vadiraj

Last edited by adya33 : 29th November 2006 at 18:42.
Old 29th November 2006, 18:23   #2
BANNED

UNREADABLE ..... pls re post !!!
Old 29th November 2006, 18:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It was difficult to read, but got the intent of the post. What level can people go upto, to make some fast buck! My sympathies with the gentleman who got hit for no fault of his.
Old 29th November 2006, 18:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
UNREADABLE ..... pls re post !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Yes. It was difficult to read, but got the intent of the post.
All tags from article removed.
Old 29th November 2006, 19:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post

What followed was even more scary. In just a few minutes, almost 20-30 people ( most of them drunk ) got involved in this. Most of them had no clue of what had happened but were just shouting, accusing and demanding money.
This is suspecting. Might be a little exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post
Avoid the lesser traveled, lesser lit roads.

- Do not have excess cash with you.

- We need to have some immediate phone numbers for assistance ( like 911 in US )

- Do not stop and get out of the car when approached by suspecting strangers
Nice points.
Old 29th November 2006, 19:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

The crime rate in Bangalore is really rising. First the ring road bandits, it has become unsafe to drive at night on ring road.

Now these day-light robbers, they realise most motorists are helpless against an attack like this since none of the other motorists would want to interfere. How can a car driver fightback against such false accusations, the lynch mob is always against the bigger vehicle.
Old 29th November 2006, 19:43   #7
BHPian

i guess another point which can be added is keep driving if some1 tries to stop you. dont ever stop for whatever reasons.

its better to run somebody over than be run over urself.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 29th November 2006 at 19:46.
Old 29th November 2006, 20:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
i guess another point which can be added is keep driving if some1 tries to stop you. dont ever stop for whatever reasons.

its better to run somebody over than be run over urself.
This guy was stuck in traffic repeatedly, where to run? I know this place, my flat in Bangalore is visible from here. I have taken this road on a daily basis.
Old 29th November 2006, 20:12   #9
BHPian

this is real bad we got to get some numbers like 911 stated which would really help.
Old 29th November 2006, 20:37   #10
BHPian

So sad to hear such things. Bangalore has become very unsafe in the past couple of years...Car poolng or awailing company transport is the only next best alternative. I have heard of similar incidents which have happened in the place which you have mentioned.
Old 29th November 2006, 20:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

BTM Layout, Hosur Road, Silk Board Junction, Bannerghatta Road, Whitefield-around ITPL, Sarjapur Road and Bangalore University Campus off Mysore Road are areas to explicitly avoid especially after dark and particularly if travelling alone - doesnt matter if you're a man/woman.
Old 29th November 2006, 21:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

abt car pooling...why not ping some tbhpians ?
Old 29th November 2006, 23:37   #13
kph
BHPian

There’s nothing unbelievable in that incident. I have heard of incidents like this before.
Have a look at the description of a couple of incidents happened 5 months ago. The forwarded message coincidently reached the victim (working in the same organization) of the incident described in the first mail.

Read the incident bellow in victims' own words. This was circulated in the office and i got it through one of my friends. I have deleted the names in the mail.
--------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:21 PM
Subject: The unfortunate incident
Hi,
Please read the mail below. Similar incident as it was in my case at same place and case registered at same police station. The last para in the mail below, which compares the other incident was unfortunately mine.
The bad day for me was on Thursday, 22nd June'06 when I had left office around 11.30 pm and around midnight I was unfortunately trapped at the same place mentioned in the mail below. Four miscreants entered my car and took control of my car and started driving crazily around the city. They covered minimum of 30 kms in my car. Initially I was beaten up by them and they threatened me at the knife point for about One & half hours in the moving car. They forced my to reveal my ATM PIN and withdrew Rs.18000/- from Indiranagar ATM and Rs.2000/- from MG road ATM. They also took away mobile and Rs.5000/- which was with me. Around 2 AM they relieved me at the same point with car and laptop.
Please be very careful.
Regards,
xxxxxxxxxx.
--------------------------------------

Subject: Incident of attempt to mug last night - Indiranagar 100 ft road!!
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:42 AM
Subject: Incident of attempt to mug last night

Hi,
Yesterday night I was going back home from office at around 10.45 PM. I was traveling in my car.
Four persons on two old bikes started following my car from 13th Main area on Indiranagar 100ft road. I did not give much attention to them during that time. However, as I slowed down at 17th Main to get into Kodihalli area, one bike over took me and started controlling my car speed by slowing down ahead of the car. The other bike was on the right side of the car leaving no room to maneuver. I was forced to stop the car then. The two guys from the bike which was stopped ahead of the car got down and came on to my car and started hitting on the doors and glasses. I thoroughly got scared and took a swift diversion between the two bikes started accelerating my car.
I started driving the car in really high speed of around 90 KMPH in the 20 & 30 ft roads in Kodihalli area. They chased me till my house, came into the apartment building basement. Meanwhile I had alerted the security and few workers working in the adjacent building construction. However, those muggers were not scared and created a scene such a way that I had hit their bikes and trying to run away. Then I told them to approach police. But they did not want it and said I had to pay money. Meanwhile, I had also called building secretary. Once he was also arrived they just ran away.
Then we went and informed Jeevan Bheema Nagar Police. Two constables and CI had come with us to the area, they had also alerted Police Petrol. All of them started searching in the near by areas. CI sat in my car and took me along with him all over the area and asked me to show the way in which I had traveled. Finally Police saw two muggers on the connecting road between Airport Road and Jeevan Bheema Nagar road and started chasing them. They were chased till K R Puram before they managed to escape.
Later in the night (at around 3 AM) police called me to Police Station and prepared a portrait of one mugger with my inputs. Then they found that the picture came out is very similar to the suspect of one another such incident happened three days earlier in the same area. Unfortunately the victim had got down the car in that incident and was beaten up before he got mugged. CI says that I was lucky to escape.
The so called safe Indira Nagar 100 ft road does not remain same anymore. Please take care.
Thanks and Regards,
xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by kph : 29th November 2006 at 23:43.
Old 30th November 2006, 00:05   #14
BHPian

emergency car beepers

can we install some kind of emergency car beepers that alert others that we are in trouble (of this kind?). Could be a piece of equipment completely running off its own battery and detached from the car ?
The point is that it should indicate to others that the car is being carjacked/ the driver is in some distress or trouble.
Old 30th November 2006, 00:36   #15
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak

What followed was even more scary. In just a few minutes, almost 20-30 people ( most of them drunk ) got involved in this. Most of them had no clue of what had happened but were just shouting, accusing and demanding money.

This is suspecting. Might be a little exaggeration.
I feel no exaggeration about the crowd gathered to support the rowdies. Here is my experience.
Once in MG road just before the left turn to Brigade road in the traffic block my bike almost touched one auto. The auto wala didn’t like the way I peeped through the gap. Quite disrespectable, isn’t it?
He came out and started yelling showing a big dent on his auto complaining that I hit him and caused the dent and scratches. I appreciate his courage to do that ignoring the other vehicles (witnesses) around us. May be because he was aware that they will vanish when the signal turns green.
His demand came as expected- need money to settle “the damage caused by me”. Anyway I wasn’t ready to be a victim to this rowd(ies). I blindly denied. As expected around 20+ people gathered around us and the auto rowdy succeeded in gaining support from his fellow kannada speakers. Some of them came with stones and threatened me that the headlight of my bike will be broken. Anyway I wasn’t ready to give up, demanded cops to come up and resolve it, though I don’t believe in Bangalore cops (I have other experiences for that). Fortunately some of my friends came that way and stopped for my assistance. One of them brought a cop from the junction. What a cop… He says; settle with money. B!00dy grandson of a b!t(h. My friend said, no way. Finally he asked the auto rowdy and me to come to the police station for settlement. One hoisala jeep also arrived. Finally the rowdy and his supporters had to withdraw and vanish.
My fate would have been different if this’d happened in some other area where rowdy crowd can play their game more effectively. I don’t see any difference between those people and the cops here. Both share the same attitude. One robs while the other shuts eyes or supports. These @$$#0!es eat and drink with the money spent and/or given as tax by people like us living and working here. This is one reason why I hate this place. It wouldn’t be surprising if someone says that Bangalore is the hottest spot for rowdies and robbers in India. They do it fearlessly and shamelessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks