Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 20:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Two sides to the story: Mumbai cop tows car with breastfeeding mother still inside

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61607940.cms

The cop - not wearing a badge - towed the vehicle with a woman who was feeling unwell and also nursing her baby still seated in the back seat of the car.

Mumbai police leadership have ordered an enquiry and promised strict action, but only after a social media furore related to this incident.
hserus is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 21:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Two sides to the story: Mumbai cop tows car with breastfeeding mother still inside

Why do I feel that this video and news story is once again based on half the truth? If this child is/was feeling ill, any responsible parent would first make sure that her child is in a safe place, like her home or some relative's place put to bed or under the watch of someone, after the incident. Instead, hours later this 'mother' is still appearing on all the crappy news channels with that 'ill' child in her hand, narrating the incident and seeking sympathy from everyone.

I'm not saying what that policeman did was right, but there's definitely an other side to this story which no one knows of, which will clear things.
S2!!! is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 21:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Two sides to the story: Mumbai cop tows car with breastfeeding mother still inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
If this child is/was feeling ill, any responsible parent would first make sure that her child is in a safe place. Instead, hours later this 'mother' is still appearing on all the crappy news channels with that 'ill' child in her hand, narrating the incident and seeking sympathy from everyone.
Mom was ill, not the infant - according to the article.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 22:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Mom was ill, not the infant - according to the article.
My bad.
I didn't read this article. On some news channel they said the child was ill and my parents and I were discussing the same thing there.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 22:37   #5
BHPian

I saw the video and while it's very easy (and convenient) to bash the traffic policeman, it looks like the lady was at fault here.

She was shouting, screaming and abusing, instead she should have got down from the car, paid the fine or let the car be towed. What was the need to sit in the car stubbornly?

One thing I found very dramatic was that she started breastfeeding the kid after the person started making the video, she wasn't doing so before.
bansal.sushant is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 12:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I'm not saying what that policeman did was right, but there's definitely an other side to this story which no one knows of, which will clear things.
Even if he was on the right side of the law - the way he dealt with it in a cold hearted way as clearly seen in the video - would likely cost him his job.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If its a parking violation, then they could have slapped the penalty against the car number and asked them to moveon. Why did they even try to tow the the car?!.

It makes sense to tow the car when its parked haphazardly and blocking/affecting the traffic flow with the owner/driver not around. But not when someone is inside, that too with a lady and a 7 month old kid.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

The cop has been suspended for endangering the safety of the woman and her infant

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...nside-4933310/
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 14:24   #9
BANNED

Only thing is that the cop was suspended within 45 minutes. Otherwise the entire episode is disgusting. It seems the fracas was caused by the tow truck having to meet targets. Also, the courts have frowned on the practice earlier - but then in Bharat, the law is an ass.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th November 2017 at 09:34. Reason: typo
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 20:26   #10
BHPian

Am curious of this update from ANI, as nowhere in the article is the video, or link of it. Copy paste with link below.

Update : Found the video in one of the reply to @ANI
Video link here

https://mobile.twitter.com/nilmore14...487937/video/1

Mumbai car towing incident: New video adds twist to the tale
ANI | Updated: Nov 12, 2017 10:16 AM IST

Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], November 12 (ANI): Another video capturing yesterday's incident of a car being towed while a woman was breastfeeding her baby inside it, has surfaced today, turning the whole argument over the incident on its head.

Yesterday, a video went viral on social media that showed a car being towed away in Mumbai's Malad West, while a woman was breastfeeding her seven-month-old baby inside it.

The internet came out at large to slam the Mumbai Traffic Police for their insensitivity.

However, the recent video shot on a mobile phone shows that the seven-month-old baby was not inside the car but in the arms of another family member when the Mumbai Traffic Police warned to tow it away. The infant was taken inside, thereafter, indicating that situation could have been averted, on part of the parent.

The footage contradicts with the account of the woman named Jyoti Male, who told ANI that the policemen did not even ask her to get down before towing the car, even when she told them that she was breastfeeding.

Earlier in the day, National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Rekha Sharma said a strict action should be taken against the policeman, but added if the woman acted irresponsibly, a case should be registered against her as well.

"When I saw the video last night, my first reaction was that the police personnel should be suspended and an action should be taken against him. But I read in the morning that the mother kept sitting inside the moving car. Our first concern is that of the child. If the case goes against the lady, then the lady should be booked," Rekha Sharma told ANI.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had also condemned the incident and had told ANI: "It is very unfortunate and absolutely insensitive and dangerous to tow the vehicle with lady and the child inside. The cop is suspended and orders have been given to sensitise traffic cops so as to prevent such incidents." (ANI)

https://www.aninews.in/news/national...2170001/?amp=1

Last edited by ritz3645 : 12th November 2017 at 20:32. Reason: Found video
ritz3645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 20:37   #11
BHPian

There is definitely a twist in the story. My father is a cop and even he has confirmed that the video is not completely true. Will update as soon as i get some update from dad. He has some video which proves that something is fishy. Will try to post it here.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 20:44   #12
BHPian

Seeing it on news, there was some intense discussion amongst us friends. I kept stating that we are seeing only 1 side of the story and need to see the other.

Guess more details will emerge soon.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 20:53   #13
BHPian

Yes there is a video which proves that the lady sat in the car after it was towed. The video is of 5 minutes and th conversation is in Marathi.
Rohitj92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 07:30   #14
BHPian

Simple Solution: Require body-cams for ALL police personnel at ALL times.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 08:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

I notice that such instances of building up public rage by showing partial truth are on the rise. Trump's 'fake news' is here in India too.

We need to exercise better control on our emotions and wait for both the sides of the news before getting riled up by a single version.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed