Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 12:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Safe Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
There was this step taken at our office and which is still in vogue. Those two wheeler riders who took pride in not wearing a helmet to achieve whatever better purpose in life were made to park their vehicles on the road outside in the blazing sun the whole day. I am happy that they did this. As a result of this I see a lot of my colleagues and other employees caring to wear helmets. Personally, I have been wearing a helmet (strapped it everytime too !!) ever since I started riding a bike and I am not comfortable if I dont wear one. Thanks to my dear father for having inculcated this thing in me right from the beginning
Great steps forward!!!!
There are companies which insist on helmets when riding within premises but do not care what happens outside.There are also companies which insist on helmets for riders even within townships.

In fact I have heard that in some countries,they insist on a certain minimum safety gear(eg, knee caps) for motorcyclists..do not know where but have heard.
Old 8th December 2006, 14:34   #17
BHPian

Dont repair ...please replace it...its just 50 bucks...worth it man trust me
Old 8th December 2006, 15:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, what I meant was replace. Actually, I have to replace most of the helmet, except for the shell. The visor is full of scratches, the lining needs to be changed etc.
Old 1st January 2007, 06:51   #19
BHPian

Read this post just now...
back in 2000 - i owe my life to a strapped helmet..

I was driving my dad's scooter - wearing a helmet i had gifted to him - to replace the 15 yr old antique helmet he used to wear..

Was coming down the Safdurjung flyover - near the INA Market bus stand in Delhi- a moron suddenly decided to cross the road - as he was in front of the bus - there was no way I could act fast as I couldnt see him - i braked - & u all know how a Bajaj Super behaves when braked suddenly.

Next thing i remember is my helmet hitting the ground with a thump - me rolling over a couple of times & a Maruti 800 running over my hand

end result - a cracked helmet, a dislocated shoulder & a severly bruised left hand - marks of which I still carry..
but most importantly - a saved life because of a strapped Studd helmet
Old 1st January 2007, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

In addition to helmet , a pair of gloves and a good jacket for daily use would do .

A thicker and even better a padded/armoured jacket and keen guards for long drives is essential .
Old 5th January 2007, 21:06   #21

I learnt the hard way regarding safety. Never had used one in my life before i met with an accident, a nasty one to be precise. Had a lot of minor injuries on bike after skidding but nothing much to try safety measures. Maybe the young blood or peer pressure, am not sure. But looking back, i feel glad to be alive. These days if on bike, helmet - strapped or seat belt - "clikked" in cars.

Message in my profile is for others to know that if you drive fast then you die a horrible death.
Old 5th January 2007, 22:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Great steps forward!!!!
There are companies which insist on helmets when riding within premises but do not care what happens outside.There are also companies which insist on helmets for riders even within townships.

In fact I have heard that in some countries,they insist on a certain minimum safety gear(eg, knee caps) for motorcyclists..do not know where but have heard.
@vigsom: Nowhere did I say that the company insisted on wearing helmets only within premises. The logic was that if an individual was forced to buy and carry a helmet to work, he might as well be better off letting his head wear it for him. The result whether he likes it or not is more safety.
Old 6th January 2008, 03:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

well these are the protective gear that saved me from heavy bruses even though the fall was a minor one the helmet, jacket, shoes and leather gloves took all the beating and save me well!

had a fall on my unicorn last november just 15days before my exams and these are the ones that took all the beating!

had i not worn the had gloves or the helmet man i would have been in a bad shape and would have missed my exams!

just look at the right hand glove it protected my hand and i was in a good shape to write the exams!

well i was taking a turn at the police academy on the moinabad road at that time new roads were being laid and the workers had not cleared the black small jelly stone that are literally invisible and i skid because of them!, while making that 90degree turn at 30kmph!.

well if i was at more speed i couldnt have imagined what would have happened!

my finger's tips were brused on my left hand though! so got the new full hand gloves, they only cost me 250 bucks but real good savers i tell you!

well learn at least from this and people do wear the minimal protective gear while riding!

Last edited by rider60 : 6th January 2008 at 03:43.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

cracked

In 1989 I was leaning into a right turn at about 50kph. A truck had dumped motor oil on the road and because of the angle of the sun I could not see it. The rear wheel kicked out and dumped me on the road. The cycle bounced and cartwheeled down the road and was totalled. I walked away with just one small bruise on my hip and a shredded jacket sleeve. I have gotten hurt worse bumping into furniture in my house. But my helmet was cracked. I do not even remember hitting my head on anything. Anyway, the helmet saved serious injury or death and I am a believer.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Actually, not quite right.

Actually, if you have hindsight after you are dead it MIGHT BE VERY USEFUL. However, I suggest you do not test the "hindsight usefulness theories" by dieing needlessly in a motorcycle crash. Wear a helmet and use the strap.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate incident, but a good suggestion, I used these gears during the winters in delhi while driving my bike. Keeps you safe and snuggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
In addition to helmet , a pair of gloves and a good jacket for daily use would do .

A thicker and even better a padded/armoured jacket and keen guards for long drives is essential .
Old 6th January 2008, 09:14   #27
BHPian

Guys,

I always wear an AGV helmet, strapped, HD leather jacket and gloves and Lee Cooper ankle length boots for long rides. In September, when I wa riding from Bangalore to Trichy, a rash Sumo driver forced me off the road 40 kms before Salem and my bike brushed a big boulder on the roadside and I fell. Thanks to all the protective gear, I got up, lifted the bike and proceeded. 3 days later, back in Bangalore went to a doctor as I was still feeling a pain in my right ankle and was diagnoised with a hairline crack. This was due to my Avenger falling on my leg.

Imagine what would have happened if I did not have any protective gear..

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 7th January 2008, 11:05   #28
BHPian

In 1998, when i was riding my bike, a dog suddenly appeared out of the bushes (next to the road) ran across the road. I lost control and fell. I was wearing a helmet, jacket and shoes at that time. My dad's friend, an avid biker, had suggested wearing all these and gloves as well, as soon as I had bought the bike. IIRC, helmet was not compulsory during those days.

The jacket was torn in couple of places and the helmet was badly scratched. Thank God there were no serious injuries.

However, i was not wearing gloves and hence some skin came off from my palm. I still have those marks to remind me. Hence, i would also recommend wearing gloves, in addition to other protective gear, if you are driving a two-wheeler.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
In 1998, when i was riding my bike, a dog suddenly appeared out of the bushes (next to the road) ran across the road. I lost control and fell. I was wearing a helmet, jacket and shoes at that time. My dad's friend, an avid biker, had suggested wearing all these and gloves as well, as soon as I had bought the bike. IIRC, helmet was not compulsory during those days.

The jacket was torn in couple of places and the helmet was badly scratched. Thank God there were no serious injuries.

However, i was not wearing gloves and hence some skin came off from my palm. I still have those marks to remind me. Hence, i would also recommend wearing gloves, in addition to other protective gear, if you are driving a two-wheeler.
Ouch..thats gotta hurt.
Something that people learn with experience,add equipment/apparel and save your skin. It might be a little uncomfortable to ride in the heat,but its better than ending up on a hospital bed for weeks at end.
Old 7th January 2008, 23:48   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Actually, if you have hindsight after you are dead it MIGHT BE VERY USEFUL. However, I suggest you do not test the "hindsight usefulness theories" by dieing needlessly in a motorcycle crash. Wear a helmet and use the strap.
You don't believe in seance, huh?

Anyway, there is no helmet law around my place. So, almost nobody wears helmet. Whenever there is a motorcycle accident, people mostly die around here. But, nobody gets any wiser. I might see some guys wearing helmets once in a while, but I have only seen one woman wearing a helmet until now.

If I ask anybody why they don't wear helmet, I get a confident reply saying law doesn't require it. I am always tempted reply "That's right, there is no law against stupidity."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks