Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 14:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Miscreants set VW Vento ablaze at Chandivali, Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinil27 View Post
Would be great if people here can suggest us with some inputs on trying to get hold of the culprit.
Hi Vinil, I am sharing my observations based on CCTV position at the place
  • The gates were not locked as I can make out from the shadow.
  • The driver parks the car in a weird position so that numbers are not visible.
  • The offender gets down from the farthest side to the CCTV.
  • The driver then positions the vehicle to easily turn the vehicle.
  • The offender then takes the shortest path to get into the car.
  • The glare of light above the rear number plate makes the numbers invisible.
The video quality of the footage is good enough to recognize the face of the offender. So I suspect they knew the place and were well aware of CCTV locations inside the apartment. The only question is why the offender did not cover his face. Where is the security gate located at this apartment complex? How far is the place of the incident from security gate? Is the driver the actual perpetrator?

The offender is wearing a cap. The video resolution is 360 pixels, but it can be scaled to a higher resolution to identify the face.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st November 2017 at 15:13. Reason: Add info
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Why the guard / security staff took 10 minutes to identify the fire? He also overlooked entry of SUV in compound at odd hours !

It was not a small fire and should have caught attention in first 1 - 2 minutes.

Something is not adding up here, take the security staff to task. He could be hand in glove.
Old 21st November 2017, 19:33   #33

Learning of such an incident is indeed terrifying.

The SUV looks to be either a Mercedes-Benz ML-Class or the Mercedes-Benz GLE Model. It's really hard to distinguish between the two as the GLE is such a minor facelift over the ML class. I'd have to see the front end to know for sure; the only distinction in the rear are the new tail lamp patterns which aren't clearly visible under the poor lighting conditions of the footage.

Either way, I assume both the ML and GLE models can't be too common, so that should simplify matters.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any update from the Society at all? From my experience in multiple high end residential enclaves, there are usually some aggressive and well connected residents. Is no one standing up to investigate what could have been a catastrophe?

I also feel the other Vento owner who usually parks there should be quizzed by someone. Why some berk in a ML/GL should bother with a comparatively piddly Vento is beyond my imagination.

Perp was wearing a tight fitting T-shirt and shorts and looked fit. Also wearing a cap of some kind and may have a beard? The local gyms can also be shown the video. Such people tend to gather there.
Attached Thumbnails
Miscreants set VW Vento ablaze at Chandivali, Mumbai-screenshot_20171121201236.jpg  

Miscreants set VW Vento ablaze at Chandivali, Mumbai-screenshot_20171121175554.jpg  

Miscreants set VW Vento ablaze at Chandivali, Mumbai-screenshot_20171121201732.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st November 2017 at 20:18. Reason: Formatting
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:44   #35
BHPian

This is a scary incident. Cops should probe this seriously and the culprits should be booked and sent to jail. It is fairly easy for the cops if they want to do it, all they have to do is check the active mobile phones in the area at that point of time. Now that we have a fair idea of the SUV model, narrowing down should be easier.

I see this as violence even though no one was hurt. The even could have shaken anyone. The thing is there are things which we see coming and are prepared for them. The owner of the car did not see this coming. I mean if he would have been a part of some road rage or knew of some personal enmity, then it would have made sense. Now is just a mystery, with a 'why me' hanging on their heads till it is solved.
Old 24th November 2017, 15:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Just putting forward a question that popped up in my mind.

Did the car owner had any Road Rage with any person in that SUV or any other car while driving down to his friend's place and parked the car there in the parking?

I mean it can be a possible case. There are some people who make a small road rage revenge as their Life Ambition and go on a killing/destroying frenzy.
This is very much possible, few days back few guys on a merc grabbed the keys of an TATA Ace, this was after merc guy tried to break the queue on a toll gate and ace driver refused to let him in!

Good quality dash cam would be my next investment for sure, it's always guys on high end cars, bought with dad's money looking for trouble.

I can understand why no leads have been gained yet, who will stand against a guy who casually sets car on fire and walks away. What a great time to be alive!
Old 24th November 2017, 15:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

Can you get the ORIGINAL video?

The current one is a cell-phone recording of a computer monitor.

With the original high-res video, it might be possible to get a much clearer look at the number plate (after manipulating the brightness/contrast etc).
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 18:30   #38
BHPian

Shocking event,

Feel for the Vento Owner.

Is the other Vento of same colour ?

Certain things that come to mind apart from what is already discussed.

1. The confidence with which he sets fire to this vehicle makes me think he might be related/ affiliated with some local strongman, in which case the police won't be very enthusiastic.

2. Such societies always have security staff at the door, always, and CCTVs facing the door, Can't believe no one was at the door, Have the cops thrashed the security for information? (that is what they normally do)

3. The car need not be owned by the culprit, a local garage might have used a customer's car, that angle can also be investigated. A garage hand would know exactly where to ignite the fire for maximum damage.

4. Is it possible that the hosts have a tiff with someone local, may be society residents? and the revenge was taken out on guests? May be even over parking ?

5. Was the car easily accessible from the main gate or did they take considerable effort to get to this car? that would be a clear indication of whether this is personal

6. Was it petrol used for starting the fire? or something industrial ?

I hope the culprits are brought to justice and the real motive gets revealed.

- Slick
Old 25th November 2017, 19:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
At the cost of quoting the obvious (too obvious too miss out)..Victim's car is from another state.
I can understand if some plebeian did this; but someone from Merc? Outrageous.
BTW, this is not the first time I'm hearing Mumbai cars set on fire - but are on road side parking. Inside a society? Horrible. I don't even get the logic.
Old 26th November 2017, 00:16   #40
BHPian

Guys I am a resident of Pune and in last couple of years, we have read in the news of such incidents of miscreants putting parked vehicles on fire pretty often.

In fact, there have been cases in Pune where multiple bikes were set on fire by a guy who had a fight over a drink. The vehicles owners had absolutely no connection with the culprits. This has happened in Co-Operative housing societies.

I have my highest sympathies with the Vento guy, however, I will not stop myself in believing that this may be due to pure insanity. It may have been that the crooks in the Merc would take a bet and see if someone can do a thing like this and then someone actually did it. The person could have done more harm but he just lit the front portion on fire.

Such high end vehicles are not present in 1000 on the road, they are very limited and the police by now would have had the clue who the culprits are. It would just be that they would consider this case as a petty one and not take any serious cognizance. I would urge the Vento guy to reach out to the highest authorities and media.
abhisheknandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 17:07   #41
BHPian

The rear number plate is visible, however the clarity is very low. IMO the footage can be enhanced digitally. I remember incidents were investigating agencies do that.
Old 4th December 2017, 20:18   #42
BHPian

Are there any updates to this shocking incident? Any progress in the investigation?
Old 4th December 2017, 21:32   #43
BHPian

Seems the car insurance expired a day before the incident. Terrible! This is what the following article has to say.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/cha...ai/498084.html

There is fair chance, now he is being harassed for not having valid insurance!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 4th December 2017 at 21:35.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

So this person was either driving the car without an insurance or the insurance would expire at midnight on the day of the incident. Any responsible person would not have delayed the insurance renewal.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 15:32   #45
BHPian

This is such a terrible thing to have happened. Even worse is the lapse of insurance. The owner is left holding the bill unless the perps can be found. Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Any responsible person would not have delayed the insurance renewal.
To be very frank, that is an extremely callous statement. Plenty of responsible people have been known to forget things from time to time. You seem like a responsible adult. Have you never made a mistake?!

Last edited by imp! : 16th December 2017 at 15:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks