Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 00:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Take picture of illegally-parked car, earn 50 bucks

Another of those government schemes which is going to be just a news article.

Reason for my scepticism -

- Do note the fine print 'Take photo on your mobile & send to relevant department or Police' . Bangalore,police has a similar app/ site since few years. Most photos I have uploaded has been rejected due to some or other weird reason. Few was mentioned as action taken. However, when I searched with violaters number online, I am unable to find any pending fines against them.

Plus, the onus of success is on police department of that place.

- This comes from a man who heads a ministry which is unable to do anything inspite of multiple instances of attack against toll operators on video by goons.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 00:22   #32
BANNED

At least the minister had the vision of including the obvious loophole in this. "10 percent" of the paid amount,and not directly 50. So an unpaid parking ticket=Zero reward for complainant. In a country where traffic police needs help to see wrongly parked cars, I'm sure collecting the fine is a distant dream.
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Hi,

Will like to share two of my experiences.

1) In Toronto there are red light cameras. Yes, in a developed world, people jump stop signs. A photo is taken via the installed camera which gets posted on the car plate.

2) In Bangalore, you see Traffic Police routinely checking bike/ car registered number for any violation penalty via a handheld machine. So in Bangalore as well, there is a system which penalizes road infractions.

Shri Gadkari's past performance is the Mumbai - Pune Expressway.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2017 at 11:42. Reason: Poorly typed post
ritz3645 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:05   #34
BHPian

Re: Take picture of illegally-parked car, earn 50 bucks

This thing is already in place here in Nagpur(minus the incentive part). I read in some news daily a couple of days ago. Click a picture of a biker without helmet/car driver without belt and send it to the traffic police WhatsApp number. Traffic police would send an e-challan to the violator.
aboveallkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
A simple question.
If 10 people click the picture of the same car in the similar time span and at the same location, how many times will the owner be fined?

If only once, how would the govt know that the car is parked in the same spot?
Especially in the instance, different people taking pictures from different angles.

In case the govt plans to fine the owner multiple times, it will be unfair on the owner part.
I think it's not a bad idea to fine the owner multiple times, as the number of photographs submitted is in someway linked to the amount of congestion/inconvenience caused by the wrongly parked car.... If you cause more inconvenience for others or cause long traffic jams - be prepared to pay through your nose.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Click pics of illegally parked cars, get rewarded: Nitin Gadkari
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/61735736.cms
That's a good initiative.
If I know that anyone with a smartphone might make my wallet lighter, I'd take care to park responsibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police has an Android app called PUBLIC EYE. You can take photos or video of offender and post online. You can report all types of traffic violations and the Traffic Police will apparently take action - as long as the number plate is visible.
You don't get paid though
I'm using this app heavily. I encounter atleast 30-40 traffic violations during my commute (<10 KMs). On lean days, I compile the dashcam footage and upload the snapshots through this app.

I was able to verify the charges to few vehicles on RTO website.

If the above above claim is amended into law, I'm pretty sure the Dashcam will pay for itself in a month's time
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:40   #37
BHPian

Hyderabad Police has/had a similar facility via Whatsapp & their android app(Hawk Eye). One can send violations with details such as a picture, date, time and location of the violation. During initial days, when I used to send them the pictures and details, they used to impose challans (Of-course, no incentives for the reporter). However after 1-2 months no response at all for any violation reported. Didn't complain or take it further because I understand that they are busy in other high priority cases/issues.

And for the curious people, the Whatsapp number is +91-9490616555. You can try your luck reporting the violations in Hyderabad and surroundings.

Last edited by G V Krishna : 22nd November 2017 at 13:41. Reason: Added Whatsapp number - Publicly available
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Why just limit to parking? Spot any traffic offence, report it and earn points!
A similar scheme was launched by Delhi Traffic Police sometime back, with an app called Traffic Sentinel where one could upload a photo or video of traffic offence and earn some reward points. The scheme, imho, seems discontinued now. One of the apparent reasons may be that authorities may not want a paid citizen vigilantism.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:07   #39
BHPian

If I am not wrong there is a similar system in place in China and it has resulted in a major scam.

Scammers would forcefully make you break a traffic rule and take the picture and send it to traffic police. Scammers would force you in the wrong lane or con you to park in a no parking zone(by posing as parking attendants) and click a picture without you even knowing about it. Next thing is you receive a ticket and the scammer gets his prize.(along with the illegal parking fee you paid him)

Last edited by saion666 : 22nd November 2017 at 14:09.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Most photos I have uploaded has been rejected due to some or other weird reason. Few was mentioned as action taken.
I was done with this Public eye portal long ago due to an incident that I would like to narrate here.

My Dashcam captures an LCV hitting a 2 wheeler rider and running away. I chase the LCV, make note of the registration number just to be sure. Then I upload the Video onto YouTube and also post the same on BTP's FB Page.

As expected, BTP asked me to use Public eye portal which I do but with a screenshot of the incident (as it wont allow upload of videos) along with the URL of the Video which was a good enough evidence.

Before this, I had also checked the violations for this LCV and there were quite a few including rash driving.

What happened after this? I tweeted and BTP replied that the portal is to report only "traffic violations"

Take picture of illegally-parked car, earn 50 bucks-hitrun.jpg

Link to my tweet

So as per Traffic Police, a Hit and Run is not a traffic violation.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd November 2017 at 14:08.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Looks like government is hiring freelancers without any qualification. Perhaps the only job that doesn’t require any scrutiny against the applicant or the bribe to get into that job. Government is only paying us to do the job

We can now think of earning over weekends and making it financially productive

But in a city like Bangalore, we have to blame the enormous growth the city is experiencing each passing day with very little infrastructure to cater to the growth positively by providing apt parking spaces. I believe both people and government are the 2 major factors to be blamed here.

Last edited by gururajrv : 22nd November 2017 at 14:18.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:40   #42
BHPian

If somebody send photos of wrongly parked police/lawmakers/poltician's car itself?? I shudder to think about the after effects!! Because, many times I found them to park in a narrow road without any good reason! causing traffic. I have seen some cases in weekends where Police became hyper-active & put some barricades in an otherwise smooth traffic section of a road, to catch some bikers for DUI, causing huge traffic for rest of the road users. You want to catch them up? good, catch them at signals, not in an open road!

But yes, idea is good, the same can be applied for riding without helmet etc. as well.
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:52   #43
BHPian

As fancy and bright this scheme might sound, this is going to be just another failed public stunt. I don't want to sound like criticising every other government scheme/move but this so called scheme is not going to help with anything unless the government starts thinking about how to better our infrastructure, parking space and signs, and most importantly our bad roads. I'm thinking about how people would start exploiting this - Photoshops, multiple pictures, multiple time frame etc etc.

High time for some real work.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:55   #44
BHPian

I think, first Govt need to get enough parking in place and then start enforcing. If you come to Hyderabad, you have lot of no-parking boards, very seldom you see Parking area boards. I think let the Govt first fix the parking woes issues first and then lets jump in to these. (Having said that I have been helping traffic police of Hyderabad in manning the signal for last 7 years, and with that I know the pain of traffic police as well)
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:08   #45
BHPian

Read a few comments on why would this be an additional motivation for the authorities to act when its compliance and enforcement which is the issue. Well multiple reasons:

1. One of the key reasons why police and other agencies get away with not acting, is the fact that they under-report incidents. This will create an independent reporting mechanism which will in turn put pressure on the system to act. Know of a few apps in development on functioning of the civil authorities (MMRDA) where potholes for example can be clicked and geotagged, forcing authorities to act.

2. As the Vehicle Registration and Licencing as envisioned in the new Transportation law being enacted is implemented (with bio-metric / Aadhaar tagging), multiple such things become possible.

This is an idea quite extendable to other walks of public administration. A friend is working on a crowd-sourced wikipedia like public accountability platform. A platform which will track projects announced vs the actual on ground implementation. So basically a platform where you can search public figures in your area, starting at the top, track announcements made by them in public speeches / appearances, by date and then track the current status of each of the promises made real-time, basis geo-tagged images of the same.

Another who worked for an auto major, revealed ongoing work on an embedded RFID in the windscreen (embedded in, not on) to work in coordination with comprehensive scanning infrastructure in urban centers. The idea being one to curb everything from vehicle theft to rule flouting. And the infra can identify absence of a chip / tempering too ensuring that any tempered vehicles will become impossible to use in urban centers limiting their viability severely.

So while there are obvious flaws and perhaps more limitations than flaws, the applications of crowd-sourcing combined with tech can prove to be incredible in increasing compliance.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 22nd November 2017 at 16:09. Reason: Grammar
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed