Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 18:31   #46
BHPian

Re: Take picture of illegally-parked car, earn 50 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But this is India - not a developed 10-lakh people country. Seems lime they are not able to find any such illegally parked cars?

Before coming up with these kind of Utopian ideas, just make sure the authorities are doing their duty. Let them just roam through the cities and they can see any number of wrongly parked vehicles and traffic / speed violations. ...
Exactly this.
Cops in Chennai are mostly interested in standing in a shaded area and harass men (women are exempt obviously) riding two-wheeler and yellow-plated Tata Ace kind of vehicles (all for a Rs.50/100/200 of course). They are least interested in anything else.

You dont need citizens help, just make sure the cops enforce the law. What gets me most aggravated is shops taking over sidewalks
Queryanalyzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:27   #47
BHPian

These citizen schemes are not practical. Does the administration has that much manpower and time to sift through pictures sent by individuals, take decision on whether it is a violation, and then dole out fines, and then pay the individual? Seriously, that would require lots of investment. Which they are not going to do. So just an eyewash, a pr exercise.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
These citizen schemes are not practical. Does the administration has that much manpower and time to sift through pictures sent by individuals, take decision on whether it is a violation, and then dole out fines, and then pay the individual? Seriously, that would require lots of investment. Which they are not going to do. So just an eyewash, a pr exercise.
BPO or Business Process Outsourcing is huge in India. Even abroad there are agencies which work on behalf of MTO, and are paid a percentage of payments. Towing infrastructure in India is another example where only RTO directing violations is a Government employee.
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is a lame and lazy suggestion by the minister without thinking it through. There are a lot of things the RTO can do already, without getting themselves into this mess of checking all inputs, separating the genuine from the fakes and repeats etc and paying incentives.

There are CCTV's installed at major junctions. They started fining vehicles standing ahead of the white line, but did nothing about those breaking the signals or driving on the wrong side. So now the situation, at least in Pune, is that if you are able to stop before the white line its fine else just break the signal and avoid paying the fine.

What they need to do is hire more people to scan the footage and start fining every violation. I understand that info of lot of vehicles is not up to date but for all vehicles sold in the last 5 years, the database should mostly be correct. Spend some time tracking those violators whose data is not up to date in system, catch and start fining them.

But again this requires genuine effort from top, which is missing.

They can even outsource this to third party to scan through footages and send them filtered fine-able content, and pay them 20 bucks for every approved violation, but that too I am sure wont be done. Our government departments don't think like that.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 22nd November 2017 at 20:55.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:18   #50
BHPian

This statement shows how disconnected is our minister from the reality. Instead of bringing such ideas, slowly government should implement some simple steps like standardisation of the number plate, linking number plate to license and RC Book/Aadhar, making vehicle transfer across the states smoother etc.

The manual interventions will make the process corrupted in no time.
MaxTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:49   #51
BHPian

Didn't the Minister once state he would centralize all RTOs, so that seperate NOCs / road tax conflict would be resolved? Been waiting for years, for that to be done. This too, will go down the same road - to nowhere.
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:31   #52
BHPian

This is the most ridiculous idea ever! Instead of expanding the police force along with increasing their effectiveness, just handover the job to open public an monetize it! A recipe for trouble.

Without doubt this will make things tougher both with Govt. and car owners:

1) How will the authorities know that a car is parked illegally? From pics clicked by public??

2) Are there 'no parking' signs in everywhere? How is a car driver visiting a place for the first time to know which area is no parking?

3) What if the designated parking is full? Where to park then?

This sort of scheme could work on only extreme cases like fights on the road, polluting cars, etc.
Old 24th November 2017, 15:06   #53
BHPian

I have some old photos taken in the last 3-4 years since I've got hold of a phone with camera.
The photographs are mix of snaps of vehicles incorrectly parked, few parked in the no parking zone, people talking on phone while driving etc..

Will uploading these earn me something?

I can take a picture of the same car from different angles, and then upload it at different times.
Like a picture today, another in the next week may be..
Something like that. How would anyone find the difference?

On a serious note, I see a huge gap in this policy. Its difficult to identify the actual scenario.

The date and time of the event with proof needs to be uploaded. Also, there needs to be some verification process for the same.

I can see many people making this their main source of earning...
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 15:55   #54
BHPian

Great Idea,

but with a lot of loopholes, it will obviously not work.

I see traffic police sitting and doing nothing to people who break signals, Just a little alert traffic police would change the scenario so much.

The best punishment for signal breakers and people driving on wrong side during peak hours is to make them wait for 2 hrs.

- Slick
Old 24th November 2017, 16:39   #55
BHPian

Rather than this if only a portion of official fine goes to the cops and their support staff it would be a lot more useful.

Imagine a cop getting INR 50 per fine imposed would they really be interested in a bribe. And with a well implemented point system the willful defaulters will surely reduce.

There will always be the bad cop but they are still out there anyways. A honest cop will get a chance to stay honest.
Old 25th November 2017, 10:07   #56
BHPian

Easy to say. Is it something that can be implemented? I doubt. We have huge building plans approved by Town Planning Authorities but with no adequate provisions for parking; the cars would just spill over to the roads.

We have cities with inadequate parking lots; where are the cars going to get parked?
Old 25th November 2017, 17:31   #57
BHPian

It is a nice move in my opinion.

However, it begs the question, what if an individual, let's call him Mr. A decides to park illegally. All he needs to do is to click pictures of 10 other cars parked illegally and he can get away with parking illegally himself! I sense a parking mafia in the making! LOL

*meant as a joke*

Old 26th November 2017, 10:46   #58
BHPian

This is more to do with empowering the citizens to participate in reporting incidents. I would rather not think about what I would earn from this, but what impact would have on the defaulters. If action is taken swiftly on them, we can safely say that this is working.
Old 26th November 2017, 12:48   #59

It is good move indeed. But problem has deeper roots. With so many cars around and with our unorganized cities and roads, there is no solution to this problem.
Old 26th November 2017, 21:35   #60
BHPian

How will the authorities validate a picture? What if the picture is photoshop'd with a different registration number?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks