Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 09:59   #16
BHPian

re: Navigation display a distraction while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
Volkswagen has sorted out this issue in 2018 Polo. But I do not think this will come to India anytime in near future.
For me this is the ideal position to have navigation screen. But for a price sensitive market like India I don't think VW contemplate bringing this when new Polo makes it debut here.
This is exactly what I was talking about! A unit like this would have been a pleasure to use. For now, I have to adjust with the phone mounted on the windshield.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:28   #17
BHPian

My mobile holder (Zaap) is to the right, between the A pillar and the steering mounted along the lines of the rest of the dials. That way I can use the phone with my right hand if I need to scroll around on the screen while hunting for stuff. And, the A pillar is a bit of a blind spot any ways, may as well make use of that space.

Though my duster has a built it Navigation, the position of the screen makes it quite a pain to watch when needed. And while driving in the night, its an unwanted bright screen inside the cabin.
abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 12:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Personally I prefer to mount the phone in the right hand side corner, just above the speedometer console level.
This results in minimal distraction, as it is more or less at the same level of the usual line of sight.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I just ordered this.

Will know whether it works in about 2 weeks time.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 08:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
...How do you all deal with similar situations? Do you rely only on the voice directions or would you stop the vehicle before checking out the route?
At the risk of sound horribly old school:

Check on the map/directions before you leave. A quick 5 minutes study is enough for unknown routes. There will be at best a few tricky turns where you can slow down and check the map and then continue. For traffic, check before you leave and plan accordingly. If you get stuck, you have anyways stopped and question does not apply.

Case in point: F1 drivers spend hours and hours memorizing the circuit before hitting the tarmac. Or the rally driver have a navigator who does the map reading and the driver does just that; drive.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 10:40   #21
BHPian

Re: Navigation display a distraction while driving?

I feel that I am more focused on driving my old gen figo because of no distractions. In the Aspire, Whenever I dock my phone for navigation or stream music via Bluetooth (playing online) I keep fiddling and glancing, which reduces the alertness.

I have started using pen drives for songs because I know that it has limited songs and it doesn't have access to thousands of files and almost stopped using maps or Android auto app.
Old 28th November 2017, 11:09   #22
BHPian

Using a phone for anything, even for navigation is a strict no-no for me. As varunsangal mentioned, I study the route before starting the journey, for any doubts I do not hesitate to stop at a safe location and refer the map. I do not have any issues if in case I have to travel a little extra for a missed turn. If its important to reach on time I start early. In case I am accompanied by my better half, she assists (only my wife and nobody else) with the directions from the map.
Brumby is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:25   #23
BHPian

I rely on the voice prompts, keep the phone in front of the instrument cluster and only a light glance is enough to sort of confirm the turns. I don’t want to be distracted in heavy traffic.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:27   #24
BHPian

I use GMaps(daily run),Here Maps(Long drives) on mobile, I clip my mobile to driver side AC vent and tilt it towards me sideways. I rely mostly on voice instructions and placement of mobile is such that even giving a brief look at screen is not distracting (as it is placed closer to driver side RVM).

Main distraction I encounter is when I have to accept suggested alternate route (due to spike in traffic) or if I have fiddle with map options (which I avoid while car is moving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I just ordered this.
Please provide link.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:31   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
Volkswagen has sorted out this issue in 2018 Polo. But I do not think this will come to India anytime in near future.

Attachment 1699864

For me this is the ideal position to have navigation screen. But for a price sensitive market like India, I don't think VW contemplate bringing this when new Polo makes it debut here.
Love this. Best position. Ac vents below the screen unlike our cars that have AC over the HU. almost all new cars are like this now. Hate all you want on the tacked on tablet look in cars like ecosport. But man. That's beautiful for actually using the damn hu.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

I use navigation only when required else I just turn off the screen and keep the phone away. It is a distraction, not because of the maps but the notifications (whatsapp, fb, mails) that keep on flashing on the screen. I prefer not to keep phone silent since there can be important calls that need to be looked into.

On highways, I ask the passenger next to me to look at the maps and guide, else I only rely on voice navigation. In city, its ok to get keep the map in front of my eyes as speeds are slow and you get enough time to study the route at signals or traffic jams.
In bigger cities like Delhi and Mumbai, navigation is needed and having it on the dash board means taking eyes off the road, so its better to have voice assist on, Google voice assist is much improved and its reliable now-a-days.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Love this. Best position. Ac vents below the screen unlike our cars that have AC over the HU.
In the new Volkswagen Polo, the navigation screen appears to be a separate display in the place of instrument cluster. The central console appears to have other apps. But I could be wrong.
Old 28th November 2017, 12:45   #28
BHPian

The Sat Nav that we get in today's cars (except Andriod Auto) is of no use IMO, thanks to google maps as finding the best (fastest) route is very important in today's traffic ridden roads rather than just finding a route and there is always an option to download the offline maps. Also we can place our phones at a better location and reduce the distraction. In cars with floating screens it might be less of a distraction though.

The best option IMO that I also follow most of the times is to just listen the directions (through the infotainment system)and concentrate on your driving and if the direction looks confusing then only look at the navigation.
Old 28th November 2017, 13:44   #29
BHPian

I use a phone mount on the windshield when I am on the car and only the voice commands when I am riding my bike. But my biggest grouse is when the Google Maps lady tells you "we found a faster route that will save you 15 minutes, Tap ok to continue" - and There is a timer of a few seconds before which you have to tap your phone or it will keep you on the same route!! There is no option to 'say' over voice that you accept the new route. I am sure a lot of you must have faced this.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
But my biggest grouse is when the Google Maps lady tells you "we found a faster route that will save you 15 minutes, Tap ok to continue" - and There is a timer of a few seconds before which you have to tap your phone or it will keep you on the same route!!
I guess its the other way around. When google says that there is a faster route available then it expects you to press a button only if you want to continue with the current route which means by default you will be guided to the fastest route all the time without any press of button.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed