Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 20:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spot a BMTC bus spewing black smoke - earn 1k reward!

Yes, you heard it right. Spot a smoke spitting diesel dragon on Bangalore roads, refuel your wallets with reward of Rs.1k - Few other cities are included but Bangalore will be most benefitted because we will be able to spot one of these diesel dragons having gastric problems resulting in smoke being farted big time on our roads. These are good initiatives taken further by the government.

Quote:
A Green Initiative has been launched by both the Karnataka State Road and Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC).

Citizens across 15 districts of Karnataka which also includes Bengaluru have been called on to report polluting buses spewing high amount of smoke. These citizens should report the matter to BMTC helpline (1800-425-1663) and not only they will be rewarded INR 1,000 for their efforts but the reported bus will also be removed from service.
Link

PS:
I’ve my doubts on the creation of this news with time stamp dated to 2016. Mods, please feel free to delete this post incase this was discussed long back.

Last edited by gururajrv : 27th November 2017 at 20:51.
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Spot a BMTC bus spewing black smoke - earn 1k reward!

I don't think the soot / particulate regulations for diesel automobiles is in force at this time. The earliest that it would take effect is with BS VI. The country adopted BS IV earlier this year. One point to note is that there would be no BS V, instead we would move to BS VI directly. This is expected to be in place towards the end of 2019. Till then, it is left to the owners (including the Government) to reduce particulate / soot pollution.
Old 28th November 2017, 12:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are they really serious?
Haven't they themselves noticed their 'excellent' marco polo buses?

These things will put even the Saturn V to shame, in terms of smoke produced!
Old 28th November 2017, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I don't think the soot / particulate regulations for diesel automobiles is in force at this time. The earliest that it would take effect is with BS VI. The country adopted BS IV earlier this year. One point to note is that there would be no BS V, instead we would move to BS VI directly. This is expected to be in place towards the end of 2019. Till then, it is left to the owners (including the Government) to reduce particulate / soot pollution.
I believe they are taking it seriously ahead of BS6 which is a positive thing and commendable what BMTC is up to! Looking at the emissions caused, it’s better they enforce BS6 even earlier though it’s a challenging thing to all the manufacturers. But all for the sake of preserving nature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Are they really serious?
Haven't they themselves noticed their 'excellent' marco polo buses?

These things will put even the Saturn V to shame, in terms of smoke produced!
Oh yeah, I’ve seen those Marcopolo buses. Like you said they’re the worst.

But I think they’re taken off the duty already. I don’t sight them anywhere on road in the last one year because of frequent breakdown and smoke emission complaints.
Old 28th November 2017, 13:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Few other cities are included but Bangalore will be most benefitted because we will be able to spot one of these diesel dragons having gastric problems resulting in smoke being farted big time on our roads.
When was the last time you saw a BMTC bus continually spew thick black smoke while driving around? The occasional smoke that comes when starting is a given in almost every bus. Am asking this as it's difficult for me to recollect the last time I saw one! (edit: coming to think of it, i do see one or two every OTHER week which i guess is ok!)
What sounds interesting to me is, you say Bangalore will be most benefitted compared to other cities, which I do not agree with. Have a look at the buses plying in Chennai or any part of Kerala.
I have in fact seen many APSRTC buses polluting all the while, whereas the BMTC/KSRTC buses are comparatively far better.

As you mentioned, Majority of the Marcopolo buses were discontinued and smaller and better buses were added to the fleet.
People generally come across such polluting buses but fail to realize to whom it belongs to before generalizing that the BMTC/KSRTC are to blame! Having travelled in BMTC and still travelling quite often, I can say that the situation is far better than what it used to be!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 28th November 2017 at 13:24.
Old 28th November 2017, 16:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
When was the last time you saw a BMTC bus continually spew thick black smoke while driving around? The occasional smoke that comes when starting is a given in almost every bus. Am asking this as it's difficult for me to recollect the last time I saw one! (edit: coming to think of it, i do see one or two every OTHER week which i guess is ok!)
What sounds interesting to me is, you say Bangalore will be most benefitted compared to other cities, which I do not agree with. Have a look at the buses plying in Chennai or any part of Kerala.
I have in fact seen many APSRTC buses polluting all the while, whereas the BMTC/KSRTC buses are comparatively far better.

As you mentioned, Majority of the Marcopolo buses were discontinued and smaller and better buses were added to the fleet.
People generally come across such polluting buses but fail to realize to whom it belongs to before generalizing that the BMTC/KSRTC are to blame! Having travelled in BMTC and still travelling quite often, I can say that the situation is far better than what it used to be!

Mate guess you mistook me! This call from the government is enforced across cities in Karnataka but I do not have the details of the other cities handy and hence I mentioned Bangalore as the city that’s benefitted for now on the rewards is what I’ve mentioned. But I’ve seen most of the buses of late that are being replaced for sure and there are still many more plying around that does duty within the rural areas connected to bangalore that are in bad shape.

Also, I’ve given a PS in my thread above as I see the original news shared on the source link is dated from 2016. BMTC is indeed doing a good job and let me highlight that Karnataka Transport is the best is what I’ve heard from the users from neighbouring states. Buses used here such as Volvo are always in top notch condition. They’ve started this drive to make it even more better
Old 28th November 2017, 20:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Mate guess you mistook me! This call from the government is enforced across cities in Karnataka but I do not have the details of the other cities handy and hence I mentioned Bangalore as the city that’s benefitted for now on the rewards is what I’ve mentioned.
Yeah apologies, my bad!
There is a toll free number: 18004251663 where you can report any bus under poor condition. Not sure of any rewards as such however.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks