Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 11:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

I am partial towards other folks owning the same car as mine, weird but thats how it is . Whenever I see an S-Cross, esp the 1.6, I assume that he is a very good driver, like myself

It was a problem with my earlier car, the swift, as there were too many spottings, but now its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
arvind71181 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its true with me too. It depends on same car, high end cars etc. It also depends on how the car is being driven mostly and not just the make. If the car slows when facing a situation of who goes first, I usually wave them off.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:21   #18
BHPian

I found people driving Omni van and Maruti Ecco are the most reckless of the lot. They generally tend to squeeze in their cars at every inch possible.

Coming to High end cars, I have seen Beemer's and Audi's driven in very dissonant manner, however spotting Mercedes driven in such insane way is hard to sight.

Both the above stated are purely my personal opinions, with all due respect to the owners of said brands/cars.
varoon9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

I do, specially after moving to Bangalore. The Uber/Olas and Tempo Travelers are always in a hurry, no respect for their cars or for others on the road.

Another set I look down upon, at the risk of generalizing are these guys on KTMs. They just ride like hooligans, atleast 99% of them. It's just inevitable it seems. Even on the narrowest of roads they are speeding.

PS: If you own a KTM please consider that you fall in the remaining 1% and don't get angry. However, I am sure there will be others, maybe including you who will agree.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 14:10   #20
BHPian

Re: Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I am partial towards other folks owning the same car as mine, weird but thats how it is . Whenever I see an S-Cross, esp the 1.6, I assume that he is a very good driver, like myself

It was a problem with my earlier car, the swift, as there were too many spottings, but now its like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Same here...Plus, being an owner of Chevy beat (GM cars are a rarity relatively), I feel some kind of family feeling whenever I see another chevy car. Inside me, I still believe Cruze and beat to be the best cars in their respective segments (though not the case anymore, by a mile), and (going OT here) I was deeply offended and ashamed when GM launched cheaply built sail and enjoy cars in India
Nav-i-gator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 14:23   #21
BHPian

Any Fortuner,Scorpio or new Innova--> Stay away, specifically if it has dark tints and green layout on the number plate, indicating some politician (Specifically Bangalore)
Always give respect to the Original ford fiesta They are wise people to have bought the car.
Hyundai Creta--> Have seen them being driven very rashly, and surprisingly I have seen more Women driven Cretas than any other SUV.

Last edited by aspire : 1st December 2017 at 14:35.
aspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 14:41   #22
BHPian

I personally hate the Taxi drivers on road. They drive recklessly and create ruckus on road by blowing horn frequently. As stated earlier the worst of them are driving Eeco and Omni. They are always in hurry mode and are least bothered about others plying on road.

Being a sedate driver I give way to almost all cars but feel good when I spot same car in my rear or side view mirror.

Apart from them I stay away from auto's and rickshaw as they can change their mind to go in any direction anytime without even considering or looking back.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I either accelerate hard or slow down considerably when following vehicles are ahead of me.
  • Auto rickshaws (especially Ape)
  • Maruti Eco
  • WagonR
Even with my many years of experience it is hard to predict which way above three will turn that too rapidly (sans some rare breeds using the indicators)

I have a soft corner towards all Mercedes cars

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:19   #24
BHPian

During my years of living in Delhi NCR and seeing unbelievable things, I have learnt this: Cars come in all shapes and sizes. But there could be an idiot inside any of them. Don't get me wrong, by idiots I do not mean uneducated people or those from a lower socio-economic level. Idiots are found in all the socio-economic levels . A significant percentage of these people are cab drivers. The recent spike in cab numbers (along with farmers getting richer by selling land) had made our roads a whole lot unsafer.

In my pursuit of excellent FE, I always drive sedately let such elements, be it an Ecco or a rich business man's son in a 760 Li (happened just few days back), I pass as safely as possible.

Last edited by SDP : 1st December 2017 at 16:33. Reason: minor corrections
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:33   #25
BHPian

We all do. Its a way of expressing confirmation bias, we have some pre exisiting beliefs towards some cars/vehicle and base our response accordingly.

I am negatively biased towards BMTC volvos, cabs of all shapes and sizes, 2W and auto ricks

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2017 at 16:48. Reason: Minor spacing change.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

Interesting. I am sure all of us have our ways of understanding the traffic around.

For me personally, I would give space to large vehicles, especially the tempo travellers both passenger and luggage carriers(Tata 407). Somehow they never seem to have road sense and you never know what is hanging of the rear.

Also stay away from any car that is carrying a lot of dents, scrape marks etc, that signals a bad driver for me.

* I also position the car is a way that two wheelers do not squeeze through either at the side or right in front of the car to avoid bumper scratches.

*Personal opinion and mean no disrespect to the riding community.

I am partial to the big ones, the S, 7, A8s of the world, leave a lot of space if I spot a senior citizen driving.

Also love to follow the old Zens and Esteems. Brings back fond memories of our first buys.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 1st December 2017 at 15:48.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:07   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I treat all cars the same, except owners of special cars that get special leeway from me . Examples:

Thars, Gypsys & other nice looking 4x4s
Evergreen classics such as the W124, 1st-gen Octavia vRS etc.
Tastefully modified cars
Police cars & Ambulances

By the way, here is an example of those who think they *deserve* special treatment - link.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:40   #28
BHPian

Yes I am to certain drivers but not based on the car they drive but on other factors-

1. Any car (especially SUVs) white in colour with heavily tainted glasses or with a vernacular number plate or with a political sign/symbol anywhere
2. expensive/imported rides (not because of the ride as such but just because in the remote event of even a small brush, I might have to sell of my car to cover the repair expenses )
3. a well pimped ride
4. Test mules just out of curiosity
5. Ambulances and police cars
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:46   #29
Team-BHP Support

Not really partial to particular models / bands.

If someone begins to encroach into my space in a greedy or aggressive way, I'll usually make it pretty difficult for them to do.

However: If they use their indicator whilst trying this same move, I'll give them a free pass and think maybe there's some hope left in the world
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 17:27   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Cars don't drive by themselves (at least not yet in India). So I typically judge a driver by how he is driving instead of what car he is driving. Having said that, specific car models and brands do say something about the person who owns the car (e.g. a Octavia VRS says the owner likes sleeper cars more than the flashy ones). But again, there is no guarantee that the actual owner is driving that car and not a paid driver or someone else from the family or even a friend. So I am mostly partial to drivers based on how they are driving the car instead of what car they are driving.
  • Drivers who drive rash, I respect their wish to meet the creator early and let them do what they want. I stay away.
  • Drivers who believe that its OK to randomly cut into my lane and occupy the safety buffer space I had left in front of my car, I dislike them instantly and try to stop them from executing their evil plans.
  • Slow drivers who hog the rightmost lane, I try to wake them up by blowing the horn a couple of times. But if they still insist, I wont do the horn + flash-lights + tailgate intimidation dance. I just pass them from left at the next possible opportunity.
  • Drivers who tailgate me, I dislike them instantly.
  • Drivers who are on phone or chatting endlessly with the person in passenger seat, I treat them as dangerous drivers.
  • Drivers who insist on changing lanes in bumper to bumper traffic, I wonder about their IQ.
  • Drivers who follow lane discipline, maintain safe distances on all sides, give turn indicators .. that's a very rare breed. I have utmost respect for those.
SDP is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks