Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2017, 22:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

I have been thinking about putting this question up for a long time but it is never too late. I keep on introspecting about my own driving and I have realised that my behaviour with other drivers on road depends quite a bit on the cars they drive. I am partial to some cars to the point that even if the drivers of those cars do not drive properly or cause problems to me, I tend to overlook. Whereas there are some cars, the very look of them in any of the rear view mirrors or anywhere irritates me. Then I start scrutinizing the driving style of those drivers and come to the conclusion that most of them don't know how to drive
For example I tend to overlook the driving style of a person driving a Linea or a Punto but not the first generation Dzire or maybe the Quanto. I am not going into the details of all the cars that I like and don't like, but I think people will get the drift of this post. So my question to all out there, does anybody else feel or behave in the same way? Are we racists against cars? Since the next step after self realization is rectification, I have vowed to make a conscious effort not be judgmental about the drivers based on their choice of cars, but I would still like to hear from others about their feelings.

@Moderators, please remove the thread if found inappropriate.
BlackPearl is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

I hope the way I drive my cars reveals it. In my Spark (beater car), I would never hesitate to go into a tight gap in traffic or park it on the streets. But I'm overly cautious when driving the Abarth.

Generally, I consider all drivers as bad, but there is a funny way I judge driver in the city and on the highways. In the cities, I will definitely respect the luxury car owners and stay away (or atleast try) from taxis. However, out on the highways, I tend to keep a yellow board Innova as a lead car, especially on unknown roads. You will spot high end cars being driven on insane speeds on the highways - merely generalising, I personally know a lot of luxury car owners who drive very carefully on the highways as well.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:50   #3
BHPian

Yes I do, may not be the make of the car but more to do the state of the car or the way it is customised. Any banged up car I tend to assume they are bad drivers and if anything which can be part of weird and wacky I tend to look down at them. But when a well maintained Qualis is in front of me it is all respect.
ritayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:55   #4
BHPian

Well... It has to be yes. I never judge people based on how expensive the car they're driving is but I have to admit I'm partial to somebody who has a petrolheads car. Those old skoda lauras, M800's and Zen's etc.

I guess it has to be our subconscious being triggered by seeing something we love.
TSIboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

One set of drivers I empathise with, and give them space when ever I can is the drivers of the Government run city buses. I think they have a thankless job. A good number of them indicate and signal when they need space and dont just barge in. There are some who may not - but may be they have had a bad day in the already mad chaotic traffic.

I am not saying they are good or bad. I am only stating how I treat them.
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 01:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

I get really unhappy about the following types of behaviors (not cars)
1. People who move their car after 10 seconds after a signal turns green.
2. Drivers driving sincerely at 40 kmph in the first lane, on a highway.
3. People who dont give way to an ambulance.
4. People who cut the line at a toll.
5. Drivers who will close the left side gap in traffic for bikers (a little empathy can help others reach faster)
6. Drivers who create a second line at a U turn thus hampering ongoing traffic on the remaining part of the road.

Last edited by SDP : 1st December 2017 at 16:24. Reason: minor typo
2000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Of course, I have similar beliefs. I think of it as a hygiene factor. I don't feel positive about any car seeing the stickers on them (given how viral TBHP stickers have become, even that has no meaning anymore).

I simply develop a dread looking upon certain types of cars and simply avoid them. Just like you have a sixth sense for self-defense. That is a reasonable response to observable patterns - I wouldn't go so far as call it racist. Each area would have their own patterns. Here's what I see in Gurgaon NCR (chennai had much less of this stuff TBH):
a. Any cars with a hoodie decal on the rear boot or stickers saying "Final Warning / Ab toh aana padega" implies a boor or a villager prone to violence or a misplaced ego for sure.
b. Small cars (Altos) near Ghaziabad. They will drive like mad, try to squeeze in front of buses / trucks and often get smashed for this reason.
c. White scorpio / safari / fortuner with dark tints
d. In Lucknow, till 2017 - SUVs or any other vehicle with ruling party flag
e. Light commercial vehicles (tata magic / bolero etc) from Alwar - RJ02. They are only lane hogs - driving at 40 in the rightmost lane, but harmless otherwise.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
So my question to all out there, does anybody else feel or behave in the same way? Are we racists against cars?
At the risk of a generalization, everyone behaves in the same way.

The primary reason is that our brains are hardwired to ensure safety/well being of our own self. If you spot a badly driven or badly kept car, the brain instantly delivers a judgement call to keep distance to maintain safety. It would be the same if you were walking or doing anything else.

E.g. if you jump out of the way of a car but don't blink an eyelid when a cycle passes by, it's because cycle is a lesser threat to your safety, not because the cyclist is a poor guy or similar.
varunsangal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 08:39   #9
BHPian

Regardless of make/model I admire cars that are well maintained and exhibit the love of their owners.

However a few reservations. Eicher tempo trucks: they may have better acceleration than other trucks but that doesn't make them super cars that they can honk everyone out of their way, irritating shrill trumpet horns.

The next set are those who are incapable but desperate to go fast. They try to overtake a slow mover and may take a full 10 minutes to accomplish. Neither they go, nor they let anyone go.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 1st December 2017 at 08:40. Reason: Typo
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:25   #10
BHPian

Yes I am partial.

This is based strictly on a car's physical aspects -- and not how it is being driven [there is another thread for that].

The polarity is self-evident:

1. Has stickers or decals or India's three colors pasted on.
2. Wagon R.
3. Side mirrors closed.
4. Sesame Street characters / shagun baskets / little children stuffed in the rear windshield parcel tray.
5. Radials on hatch backs.
6. "Mommy's gift" "Happy" "Republic of Sardar/Khalsa" (or the Khanda - I find this insulting).
7. Both doors look, as if Wolverine went to town on the car. (I see such a car in my office parking. I always avoid parking next to it).
8. Dirty cars, which have not been washed.

Last edited by SDP : 1st December 2017 at 20:29. Reason: as requested
asingh1977 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:39   #11
BHPian

A absolutely hate (and find it hard to control my anger) when I see a car with folded ORVMs trying to zig-zag its way ahead.

Also, cars with jerky rides, like wagon R. It tends to hop up and down in start stop traffic...

Tin cans on wheels called shared Auto...If I have my way, I will ban the all these drivers having absolutely 0 regards for any of the traffic and basic courtesy rules

Scorpios and Fortuners - preferred vehicles of goons
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Never have i judged a person's driving by the car they drive. Irrespective of whether a person drives a high end luxury car, a SUV or a low end hatchback, as long as they follow traffic rules, stick to one lane at required speeds, maintain safe distances, I respect them. Anyone not doing so, doesn't get overlooked but looked hard at. I simply stare and smile at the driver when I pass him, makes the person automatically conscious.

I absolutely loathe seeing the old gen Padmini's, Indica's, Eeco's, Omni's etc on the roads for reason they pollute hard as the owners don't even think of maintaining them.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

No problems with any private vehicle as such but I dread the public transports specially bus, auto and taxis. What I have noticed in my few years of driving/riding around bangalore is Private car owners aren't really rash. They tend to maintain lane discipline but these taxis, autos and even the humongous buses(specially the private ones) create chaos by left-right zig-zagging.

I know its their livelihood and saving that extra minute cutting across lanes would earn them that few extra bucks but in the process they make it very tough for us normal commuters using the same road. Secondly the wrong side champions. To save that few ML of fuel people coming in wrong direction with headlights on high-beam. No matter which car I just detest them.

Third are those bikers who are obsessed with left side overtaking. Around Jigni link road you would come across many of those who for some reason just love to overtake from left even if there is space on the right and if you are on the left lane doing sane speeds get ready to be honked away to glory. And yeah, they just don't believe in Helmets.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st December 2017 at 11:03.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:11   #14
BHPian

I am definitely not partial with different makes of cars on road and tend to treat them equally.

However I'm more forgiving with senior citizens or people riding with kids/infants on board. That is, if I see the said category of people riding slow in the fast lane or crossing an intersection carelessly etc., I drive more cautiously near them, tend to give them way and also don't get annoyed by their undeserving actions on our roads.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 1st December 2017 at 11:15.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:11   #15
BHPian

Alto and WagonR are cars I give a wide-berth in general. If I spot these on highways, I would rather slow down and let these cars pass than staying close to them. Another new addition to this list would be Kwid. Sorry for offending respective owners. However, I am sure many would have noticed that cars like Alto are generally driven very rashly on highways, almost like a bike, zipping in and out of tight spaces. The other day I was on highway in a Vento and there was a Kwid who was bent upon competing. Kwid would struggle to overtake and maintain pace but the driver kept tailing me. I finally had to let him pass and I slowed down to make sure he builds enough gap.

In general, bigger powerful cars, while scary in RVM are equally scary but since they are fast, they zip and go, and the scare is over. But the tiny cars simply don't let one have peace.

I now vocally predict to my co-passengers that the Alto in front is going to do something stupid and more often than not, it does happen.

Sorry for the rant, but yes, I am partial to drivers depending on their cars. This isn't something to brag about but sadly it is something that is true and helps in staying safe on the road.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed