Team-BHP > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Has your driving style changed after observing mileage in realtime?
Yes, I am a more sedate driver with uniform speeds now 187 48.95%
No - I don't care 128 33.51%
Can't - My car/bike doesn't display mileage in real time 67 17.54%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 17:24   #91
BHPian

Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

It did, probably for a day in my Octi 1.8 TSI. But then I made sure I never, I mean never, even by mistake land on the Instantaneous Fuel Consumption MID, or even the Average fuel consumption MID while scrolling.
Old 7th December 2017, 17:26   #92
BHPian

Lately FE saving has become a daily objective, especially moving from a VRS to Jetta TDI, achieving a higher FE is always fun, surprisingly not very difficult to get in a TDI.
Old 7th December 2017, 21:07   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

NoTA !!

I have a steady way of driving. I may hurry at times, but my driving style is pretty much in a certain range. It is rarely sedate, but not aggressive either. So whether the real time FE is displayed or not, this should not change. Also, I would still measure the FE by my normal method of brim-to-brim, though would still compare what the MID shows.

Btw, my vehicles being older, they dont have the MID display.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:04   #94
BHPian

Interesting thread.

Voted Yes.

My 2008 Swift petrol does not have RTFE. However when I purchased Ertiga petrol in 2016, that's when I realized how my driving style can be improved (wrt fuel economy and helping environment). 80% of the time I keep the RTFE mode ON.
Many times I try to beat my earlier score. This is just for fun.

Now whenever I drive Swift I try to guess the numbers
Old 13th December 2017, 22:05   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for No, because the figure alone does not make me alter my style. But the data is important and though I don't watch the real time economy indicator, I do keep an eye on the average economy. Infact that is the data that I generally choose to display on the display quite often. One, it tells me about the health of the car. I know what my car generally averages, so any abnormal figure may indicate something is off. Secondly watching the average allows me to extend the range if I know that there are no decent pumps for a while. FE may may not vary so much with turbo diesels, but with turbo petrols your average can vary significantly depending on how its driven.

Once when I had the Laura TSI there was petrol scarcity in the town I had driven into. Nearest bunk was about 100 kms away. I had about 7 to 8 lts in the tank and the recent avg was about 8 kmpl with the computer showing a range of about 60 kms. I had the guts to undertake the 100 kms drive since I knew that I could eek out about 16 kmpl by feathering the throttle and coasting as much as possible. I knew this because I know how efficient my car can be if driven for economy. I ended up averaging 19 kmpl for the 100 km drive. At the end of the drive I still had 50kms in the bank!
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:51   #96
BHPian

Quite a knowledgeable thread with ample wisdom shared by BHPians. To be frank my answer is 'No' because I seldom use RTFE indicator. I've been driving since last 19 years and for the first 15 years I mostly drove the cars (Maruti 800, Omni, Zen) which didn't have this feature. Nonetheless from the day one I took to driving, I've always taken care of driving strictly at speeds which the traffic conditions allowed. In city driving conditions I usually stick to 50-60 km/h and on highways I mostly drive at 80-90 km/h. Got a taste of this new feature after laying my hands on Swift Dzire Vxi. Initially used this feature and mostly it would show 30 km/l (This is the last limit of indicator) but soon switched over to Average Economy Indicator which is more precise.

But after driving a couple of thousand kilometers it became clear that the Average Economy Indicator is also not very precise as it shows an escalated indication by 2-3 km/l. It would to be needless to mention here that the true economy figures are only achieved by taking the tank full to tank full quantity of fuel burned into consideration. With driving habits remaining the same throughout i.e calm as old habits die hard, I have been able to squeeze out a mileage of 16 km/l in city with AC and 18 km/l without AC with constant speed of 50-60 km/h and on highway the mileage achieved so far has been 19 km/l with AC and 21 km/l without AC with constant speed of 80-90 km/h.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 14th December 2017 at 18:07.
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:31   #97
SRT
BHPian

I voted yes.

When I took my Honda IVTEC 2010 model car, initially, I was not at all bothered about the average economy showed in MID because of my less usage.

But after an year when I started to use the car regularly, it started hitting my wallet. Then I tried ways of saving the fuel cost by driving the car so as to get the maximum mileage. To my surprise, the average economy in MID found to be accurate with a constant error of +1.5KMPL when cross checked with tankful method.

And, I started driving seeing MID to get maximum KMPL and it paid off very well. My city returns me an economy of 17.5-23 KMPL on highways and 13-15 KMPL in cities with 100% AC. It was 15KMPL and 11 KMPL respectively in my earlier driving style
Old 27th December 2017, 13:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

My car doesn't display fuel consumption statistics. But if I had to vote yes-no, I would most certainly have voted NO. I have experimented with various driving styles while using an OBD tool to see if I can drive to extract more meters per litre of fuel and have realised that I can't. It sorely effects my rhythm and I feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, a colleague whose Ertiga we often carpool in, often turns moody and tries to constantly improve upon the FE figures. Believe me, those are real nightmarish times for us .

Last edited by dailydriver : 27th December 2017 at 13:58.
Old 30th December 2017, 09:55   #99
BHPian

I voted no

If it were up to me, I would delete the Real time fuel economy indicator from all cars (but keep the average economy indicator). Here is why, when we had the Punto one could toggle between the different indicators on the MID (like avg FE, instantaneous FE, avg speed etc). But now in the Ecosport there is a permanent spot for the Real time FE which can't be changed to anything else, at times when I am cruising at 100 kmph the indicator shows around 15 kmpl, this gets on my nerve. Then in urbun conditions I sometimes see the indicator drop below 10 kmpl.

P.S- I am a very sedate driver, whatever car I drive tends to give a good F.E.

the annoying real time FE indicator

Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?-fordecosport35.jpg
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:27   #100
BHPian

There should have been a fourth option to this poll -

* After reading through this thread, did it affect your perspective on FE and / or your driving style ?

This happened with me - after voting as NO in this thread, I have now begun to pay some attention to the FE figures provided on the dashboard - while idling at long signals or after completing a long drive.

This thread may have turned around a few more like me who used to ignore the FE display totally while now they are paying at least some attention to it, if not changing their driving style.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

My answer is Yes and No.

I have always been a sedate driver (one of the benefits of starting to drive after becoming a father, I guess ). Well, that's true most of the time. I have also always been fairly FE conscious. The instantaneous FE display has certainly helped me to understand how to extract more FE. This has helped to modify some of my driving behavior. So, while I haven't really changed my driving style due to real-time FE indicator, it has had some effect on my driving.

On the other hand, there are some behaviors that haven't changed. There's a road that I take every time I drop my daughter to her hobby class. It starts with a signal at the beginning of a curve. The speed limit on that road is 100km/h. I hope each time that the signal turns red when I reach I front of the queue. Just so that I can do a 0-100km/h dash when the signal turns green. It's the only signal where I do this. No instantaneous FE display is going to change that
Old 13th January 2018, 12:19   #102
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes.

I used to own Santro Zip drive 2003 without any bells and whistles. September 2017, I bought new MS Vitara Breeza ZDI.

Now, I keep a close eye on RTFE indicator. Yes, I agree that it's not that accurate but anything more than 19km/lt. give positive vibes. It's fun to keep an eye on RTFE indicator when my father is sitting in the front seat. I always ask him to have a look at RTFE Indicator and tell him... " Dekho 19 ki FE or Dekho 24 ki FE" ( See, FE is 19 or 24 Km/Lt). My father is a Hyundai Fan, by showing him these FE figures, I try to convince him that buying an MS car wasn't a bad decision. And to keep this FE figure high, I always drive my car between 80 to 90kmph.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed