Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 19:36   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Damn, I would never think of jumping a red light if I was fined rs2000 or even more than a 1000.
I suggested something more effective in one of the threads that i started before. That is to take all the offenders and keep them isolated for a day in some place (not exactly a prison) - It can be called traffic offenders island! Just one call to home to inform of his situation, buy food with his own money or starve etc. Not being allowed to carry out their routine (business, job) will hurt them enough to make them adhere to the rules. But first the rule book needs to be in place and made available to everyone.

Hope families dont gather outside and start a dharna! In that case they can also be thrown into the island.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 12th December 2006 at 19:43.
Old 13th December 2006, 03:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I suggested something more effective in one of the threads that i started before. That is to take all the offenders and keep them isolated for a day in some place (not exactly a prison) - It can be called traffic offenders island! Just one call to home to inform of his situation, buy food with his own money or starve etc. Not being allowed to carry out their routine (business, job) will hurt them enough to make them adhere to the rules. But first the rule book needs to be in place and made available to everyone.

Hope families dont gather outside and start a dharna! In that case they can also be thrown into the island.

they have actually started doing something similar in Hyderabad with people peeing in public in certain areas. The cops leave them on the outskirts without any money.
Old 5th January 2007, 04:06   #33
BHPian

Start lobbying the government to privatise the traffic police.

Imagine how profitable that could be, if the traffic cops actually fined everybody who broke a rule. And I'm sure people will start driving responsibly once they feel the pinch.
Old 5th January 2007, 04:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Our country has had enough of coaxing on traffic awareness. Its high time we unleash the next brutal yet reult-oriented and powerful weapon "coercion". It is no doubt a bitter experience but certain to yield tangible and radical results. Just like the bitter gourd which is bitter but makes your health lot better !!
Old 6th January 2007, 16:30   #35
BHPian

Post a pic of the offenders on the daily newspaper so that they are embarrased not to do the same thing plus being a deterrent for others.

I adviced the same in an earlier thread.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes I think we as TBHPians should do something about traffic awareness. After all who else can spread awareness if not the ones who like to think they are aware?

This point came across to me when I was driving down 4-lane highways (2 on either side) when I was back home this time and there was utter chaos on the roads. I was ranting and raving at the traffic when my wife quietly pointed out that the problem is that I am 'aware' of the rules that the others dont seem to be 'aware' of - whats the point of one person being aware of whats right when the rest of the population is blissfully unaware?

Yes I do think there is a need for awareness - the entire population cannot be so selfish, thoughtless and callous. For those that are all that, enforcement is the only way - one month of continuous fines and penalties handed out ON THE SPOT should do the trick. People here dont seem to care until it hits the wallet. SO what if some policemen make a quick buck or two in the bargain - its a small cost for overall sanity.
Old 6th January 2008, 03:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

well even before we start educating or or the radio which is a very good idea,

there is something i want to suggest, most of the two wheelers and a lot of cars have their rear view mirrors removed or folded for some reason or the other which i find ridiculous, they say a bike looks better without them or the car guys say they get hit or are hit by the two wheelers!

shouldnt the traffic rules say they are a must and shouldnt a bike be be fined for not having a RVM?

irrespective of a guy is wearing a helmet or not if he lacks the visibility to see what is coming behind him there are higher chances of accidents as these two wheelers and AUTO WALAS are rude and twist their way into the next gully from right end to the left! and most of the times get banged!

and with the typical Indian mentallity its argued that the guy who hits from behind is the person at fault!

all of this is reduced to a bear minimum if they have good RVMS!

and i strongly fell that a vehicle manufacturer should be heavily fined for not providing good RVMS like in viva crdi they are have very poor visibility compared to the verna or the swift!
so is the case with the unicorn's rvm, they have provided HH splendor's RVM for cost cutting!
IN THE SWIFT LDI MODEL THE LEFT ORVM IS NOT A STANDARD ACCESSORY AND ONE HAS TO PAY EXTRA 1500 BUCKS TO FIT ONE!
I WAS SO PISSED OFF AT THIS ATTITUDE OF MARUTI'S COST CUTTING!

in my opinion the manufacturer and the user should both be fined for not having one or using one OR PROVIDING A PROPER ONE!

Also people educated or illiterates use HIGH BEAM with the high power 100/90W or 130/100W bulbs even in sodium street lights which clearly lights the streets, man i seriously cant digest this!

once i went to the extent of lecturing a cop who was using the high beam on his qualis and he was damned ashamed!

it should be made as in bangalore where people get a warning notice home by register post for these kind of offences!
Old 6th January 2008, 08:49   #38
BHPian

@rider60: Did you notice that you have revived a thread exactly 1 year after the previous post? I have also mooted the idea of a Traffic Awareness drive on 26th Jan 2008 in another thread. The responses have not been inspiring.

Lets face it - we are an online community, namely virtual, and are here to discuss about our cars, modifications, ICE setup, etc. We may have the power to unite and bring about a change, but who cares?? Why should we waste time in doing such things, when we can meet up someplace, have a few drinks, maybe a drag or two, discuss about performance mods and go home??

I apologize if that came across as strong and rude, but that seems to be the reality.

Rajan
Old 6th January 2008, 09:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
so is the case with the unicorn's rvm, they have provided HH splendor's RVM for cost cutting!
Rightly said. That is one feature I detest in my Unicorn. Didnt expect this from Honda though !
Old 6th January 2008, 10:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
shouldnt the traffic rules say they are a must and shouldnt a bike be be fined for not having a RVM?

irrespective of a guy is wearing a helmet or not if he lacks the visibility to see what is coming behind him there are higher chances of accidents as these two wheelers and AUTO WALAS are rude and twist their way into the next gully from right end to the left! and most of the times get banged!
Another thread that

RVM's on bikes are useful if used to watch the traffic behind you and not your own handsome face or the chick sitting pillion. Just try and explain this to any biker - and let me know. I have tried with disastrous results.

Fining the manufacturer and dealer and rider is of no use.

It is the MENTALITY and LACK OF DISCIPLINE and LACK OF REGARD FOR TRAFFIC LAWS that need to be changed in the person.
Old 6th January 2008, 19:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Another thread that

RVM's on bikes are useful if used to watch the traffic behind you and not your own handsome face or the chick sitting pillion. Just try and explain this to any biker - and let me know. I have tried with disastrous results.

Fining the manufacturer and dealer and rider is of no use.

It is the MENTALITY and LACK OF DISCIPLINE and LACK OF REGARD FOR TRAFFIC LAWS that need to be changed in the person.
i do agree but then, shouldnt the manufacturer be fined for not providing a good set of rvms? well there are whole lot of people, from ignorant to responsible users, i just cant drive a car or ride a bike without RVMs i am very very used to them, so in cases like mine it does make the difference! doesnt it! no offence though!
Old 6th January 2008, 20:47   #42
BHPian

The sticker is a good and implentable idea . It can have a simple but a powerful message .

I also have a suggestion if the group thinks alike . We can start a awareness drive and as we all responsible members per citywise can meet up toghether and take the initative forward and decide dates and locations to hold some sort of a road campaign towards road safety and traffic rules . The format of campaign can be standard across the country and all our members city wise will execute it .

This looks as a too big a idea , but i beleive that such measures will make an desired impact and also ensure that we as commited BHPians as group can make the difference .

Want share on more bad habit that drivers follow :-

I feel people driving with High Beam on city traffic and even when there is a vehicle coming on the other side is also a bad habit can cause accidents .
Old 7th January 2008, 11:01   #43
BHPian

There is a group of people in Bangalore who are trying to make driving a less stressful event. You can check out their website : Making Bangalore Roads a Better Place" - SmilingDrivers. I think initiatives like this are a good start amongst us educated lot which can then trickle down to the other road users.
Old 7th January 2008, 13:57   #44
BHPian

What approach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
We may have the power to unite and bring about a change, but who cares?? Why should we waste time in doing such things, when we can meet up someplace, have a few drinks, maybe a drag or two, discuss about performance mods and go home??

I apologize if that came across as strong and rude, but that seems to be the reality.

Rajan
Well, I think lack of response maybe because the steps articulated are not clear! Beware, India as a whole community responded better to Tsunami than the US community for Katrina!!

Also the activities being discussed are large in scale and can not be sustained without public-private partnership. What are your plans after you organize one-time seminar?

I am sure Team-BHPians are ready to give the effort in time. If the approach becomes more focussed, we can come to the finance part. I suggest following approach.

1. There are NGOs, associations for Accident Victims who can help in sponsoring education initiatives. I remember that Helmet drive in Chennai was sponsored by one of them. I will try to find. If others are aware - let us know.

2. For EVERY violation we are aware of, we need to let authorities know.
We need to follow the way Esteem_lover has shown.. Make calls to 103 and let the cops know we fellow citizens are watching.

3. We can use our mobile cameras, film the violations and send to the innumerous television channels and become citizen reporters!

4. We need to push the government to centralize licenses database - with valid address. RTO should maintain the address against license plate. This will help in mailing/ collecting fines from violators.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th January 2008 at 18:35.
Old 9th January 2008, 18:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Everyone here thinks he is God's gift to the roads. And everyone is always ready to attack another driver. Tell a person decently what he did was wrong and you get stupid sentences like "I have been driving for 20 years and never had an accident."

Here are two probems seen on India roads.

The picture below is of an intersection in Vashi, Navi Mumbai. There was no zebra crossing when I shot this picture. Cars are standing in the middle of the intersection due to which cars coming from right have to dodge them, change lanes, hold up traffic coming from behind and create a jam. The way the Logan and Indica are waiting at the traffic light, made me think, why are they waiting? Might as well drive off.

The same intersection a few days later. The traffic dept took great pains to paint zebra crossing and a stop line. I was the only idiot to follow rules. So shameless are our drivers that all of them squeezed in front of me and blocked me out. A Tavera standing behind me started flashing his lights (you can see him with break lights on in the picture below). When I didn't move, he squeezed ahead of me. I was lucky enough not get a glare or a few choicest and exotic bad words from him but he was probably telling his passengers about that dumb Palio driver who has left so much of space between his car and the ones standing ahead. The picture shows the avoidable mess drivers have created.

NOTE: I was the first to stop at that traffic light. the lights went red just as I was approaching the intersection. All the cars and buses that you see ahead of me came after I had stopped.

Last edited by amit : 9th January 2008 at 18:26.

Most Viewed