Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 11:04   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Its actually a bit surprising that we don't have a traffic regulation booklet. Not sure if everyone is aware of, but in U.S, they give a superb booklet which pretty much covers all aspects of driving rules. Most drivers, don't know the right way of driving, forget bending the known rules. If we can work in this direction, forgetting the people who bend the rules knowingly, but atleast we can educate what are the indian rules.
Most good (read organized) driving schools in India provide such booklets/pamphlets that give you detailed dos/dont's about driving. Some even contain pictorial descriptions and a list of road-signs. I know because I learnt driving in one of these. I'll find it when I go home next time and upload scans if you guys want.

Unfortunately, 9/10 drivers on Indian roads never see the inside of a driving school. 'Why bother, when you can have your license home-delivered for an extra few-hundred bucks?' is the usual retort.
Old 29th December 2010, 13:57   #62
NFS
BHPian

Got glued to this thread by its title "Can we do something about traffic awareness", but was very disappointed with the responses received here (no offence meant). There are some great posts here, but everyone including me did not answer the "Can we do something" question (I believe so, I may be wrong).

With my above comment, please, please, let us not fight or argue, my thinking got bigger when I saw NDTV distributing blankets to the poor homeless in Delhi. How did they do it?
  • NGOs volunteered to do this
  • NDTV gave publicity and awareness, persuaded people to donate blankets (total collected 1211 blankets as per NDTV today morning)
  • Volunteers walk around looking for those needy and they distribute it.

Now coming to our subject - Road awareness.

Many of us had given gyan on good driving habits to bad drivers! Many of us ignored them thinking "I am not going to teach them" or "None of my business" or "who will teach them" etc. Once again both are correct and incorrect equally.

Educating someone on how to drive, might evoke an argument and end up with "mind your business" or "who are you to teach me" etc. Some people acknowledge their mistakes and apologizes quickly, and some get angry or ignore you.

Some suggestions here:

BHPians can volunteer to conduct weekend driving camps (debate on what are good driving habits) around your locality
Sensitize people on careful driving through flyers or promotional literature.

With little effort we can find sponsors to such efforts. Money can be arranged, but will someone volunteer? Volunteers are hard to find.

Think about it, we can move mountains, if we can join hands or do it collectively. I am sure Team-BHP has a good presence with lot of members from around the globe. Media will come forward to support and this can be a movement of its own.

Let us do it! Let me be the first to raise the hand
Old 29th December 2010, 14:33   #63
BHPian

That is the thought process we are looking at changing NFS. Infact, I have started a guide to good road manners & safety in my society, it's more of a fun thing to do on a Sunday during the society meetings. This includes children involved too, who surprisingly are more receptive. We adults do not flex easily to new ideas or changes.
The one feedback\debate I received from most of the members is about the volume of traffic on a busy day. I have noticed this too, people tend to drive & behave better with lesser traffic.
The irritation\anger\road rage quotient increases with increasing traffic volumes (rush hour), which unfortunately, we can't do much about!!
Old 29th December 2010, 14:40   #64
BHPian

Maybe we can get together and make short videos on the topic showing the wrong way and the right way ( a little like the Jaago Re initiative with Tata Tea ) . We could even coin a similar slogan like "Drive Safe.... A Team BHP initiative" .
I think we can imagine a scenario on the road and then film it showing what is the correct way. We could then send the videos to news channels like NDTV which could show them regularly.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:28   #65
Team-BHP Support

If we plan something like a campaign, youth and kids should be the target audience. They're the drivers of the present/next generation, and they should be taught that they're responsible for lives (others' and their own) everytime they get behind the wheel.

If anything is organised in Bangalore, I'll be glad to volunteer.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe we can get together and make short videos on the topic showing the wrong way and the right way ( a little like the Jaago Re initiative with Tata Tea ) . We could even coin a similar slogan like "Drive Safe.... A Team BHP initiative" .
I think we can imagine a scenario on the road and then film it showing what is the correct way. We could then send the videos to news channels like NDTV which could show them regularly.
well, 3 years ago when we tried this option, none of the then existing TV channels in AP were interested. Neither did they encourage us further.
We put them up on youtube and vimeo. Gave out a few DVD's to Hyderabad traffic police to be used for education in schools. Which they did. We are happy.

End of the story.

Watch all the 12 episodes here if interested.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:41   #67
NFS
BHPian

Wow, 24hours and we got volunteers, ideas, videos and some wonderful experiences.

Thanks again for putting your efforts together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
That is the thought process we are looking at changing NFS. Infact, I have started a guide to good road manners & safety in my society, it's more of a fun thing to do on a Sunday during the society meetings. This includes children involved too, who surprisingly are more receptive. We adults do not flex easily to new ideas or changes.
The one feedback\debate I received from most of the members is about the volume of traffic on a busy day. I have noticed this too, people tend to drive & behave better with lesser traffic.
The irritation\anger\road rage quotient increases with increasing traffic volumes (rush hour), which unfortunately, we can't do much about!!
Guide on good road manners and safety workshop - a nice initiative here. If Team-BHP is to start up something, can we use your Guides? Sorry, I took the liberty to ask. Also BHPians around your locality may be interested in learning from you, how they could do the same in their society. Interested parties, can you get together on this please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Wonderful Idea Newpunter - Do we have animators in Team-BHP? It would be lot better to have 2D/3D animations, Characters can be created and dialogs dubbed. Any volunteers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If we plan something like a campaign, youth and kids should be the target audience. They're the drivers of the present/next generation, and they should be taught that they're responsible for lives (others' and their own) everytime they get behind the wheel.

If anything is organised in Bangalore, I'll be glad to volunteer.
Yes, you are right, we need to catch the youth. Thanks for volunteering. Any experience with Animation or Video making?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
well, 3 years ago when we tried this option, none of the then existing TV channels in AP were interested. Neither did they encourage us further.
We put them up on Youtube and vimeo. Gave out a few DVD's to Hyderabad traffic police to be used for education in schools. Which they did. We are happy.

End of the story.

URL removed - Please visit the original post for the links
Watch all the 12 episodes here if interested.
YouTube - Accidents
YouTube - volunteers

Regards,
Krishna.
Krishna, NO End to that story. I am yet to see your Videos (on vacation now, with limited connectivity over mobile), and will see it once I get onto a BroadBand connection.

Your experience in approaching TV channels is going to help us in this initiative. Also Videos made are anyway available, this could be the initial set of collections.

More volunteers?
Old 30th December 2010, 19:15   #68
Team-BHP Support

@NFS:

No professional experience, but I can shoot some decent amateur videos. No go about the animation thing, sorry.

I'm willing to help with whatever limited talents and resources I have/can organize. Do let me know.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:57   #69
BHPian

This video idea has been on my mind for a long time now and i am ready to volunteer. We could make this a complete opensource kind of effort. We could use a shared document online and keep adding our ideas. We could design scenarios and write dialogues. Then we could divide the scenes among groups of volunteers who could then shoot the videos. Someone with experience on video editing could then edit the videos and then add the captions and other things. We could use others who have contacts with new channels and media persons. We could also get associated with some company like the Jaagore initiative did with Tata Tea. I'm just letting my ideas flow here .
Old 31st December 2010, 10:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
More volunteers?
Count me in for any initiatives in Chennai!
Old 13th April 2011, 14:45   #71

I am a new member to Team- BHP. I love cars and driving. Driving since 43 years I have seen evolution in traffic, traffic sense, vehicles and technology.

Safety in driving is my major concern.

We own cars, but we share road. In the Altruistic sence, everyone takes care of ones safety, the traffic moves smoothly. While negotiaiting a maneuver e you share 50 percent of the responsibility and the remaining onus is on the other stake holder.

If you are more concerned ( more than 50 percent ) you accommodate a casual and rash driver.
In case every driver is a concrned driver, its is a heaven to drive.
When both the drivers are rash (each with less than 50 percent onus), it is the providence, intution or knee jerk reaction that averts accident.

Safety conerns increase by vehicle condition, driver signals, traffic signals an compliance, police petroling and a big smile.
Safety concerns decreaese by lane cutting, wrong overtaking, attitude driving.

Sane drivers increase their safety conern and accomodate these driving anamalies.
When someone overtakes, we automatically slow down. When a pedastrian crosses road with wrong judgement, drivers slow down or take a detour. When a biker cuts lane cars break or negotiate favorably. The onus of safety shifts intutively.

Road rage is when drivers feel that, they are doing a charity to undeserving offenders.
Again, smile is the only solution.
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Coping with Indian Traffic

Yes we all have very stressful daily city drives, it’s all part of the great Indian driving experience. So I just thought of compiling a little list on how to counter the stress of these daily drives.

1. Leave Early

Try and leave a little earlier than you need to. This way you can drive at a more relaxed pace, and actually enjoy the drive. It also will help you curb those fancy moves we make swerving through traffic to get ahead in line so we don’t end up late at our destination. I usually try to leave about 10-15 minutes earlier than I need too. Trust me it helps.

2. Wait at Every Signal

This is pretty much common sense. But wait let’s go a little deeper. The traffic light isn’t your enemy making you late. It’s actually your best friend. Giving you those few seconds or minutes to get out of gear, pull up the handbrake, maybe even switch off the engine to save fuel and just relax. It’s also a great time to adjust the rear view mirrors if needed, to change that playlist you are listening too. So after those relaxing seconds or minutes it’s a fresh you making your way to your destination. Forgetting all those who cut your lane, honked you excessively etc.

3. Stick in Lane

During rush hour there is a lot of traffic approaching you from all sides. So try and keep to your lane. It’s very tempting to keep changing lanes to get ahead of a few cars and you will probably get to your destination about 10 minutes earlier, but if you follow point 1 then you don’t need to be earlier. So stick to your lane, make your drive smoother, as well as traffic smoother for other road users. This will lead to a stress free drive not only for yourself but for everyone on the road.

4. Avoid the Horn

It is extremely stressful to be honked at, but it’s a lot of stress having to use the horn as well. So please refrain from honking other road users unless absolutely necessary. Not only is all this going to lead to a stress free nation, but a quieter one too.

5. Park Sensibly

There are many times when we have to park on the side of the road, for varying reasons. Please ensure that your vehicle is parked appropriately and will not block traffic from any direction. You obviously remember cursing that guy holding up or slowing down traffic because of his careless parking or halting.

This brings us to the second part ~

Coping with other road users

1. Give Way
Try and be a bit more accommodating. When someone wants to pass, give them way. If another road user is turning onto your road, and no one is tailing you. Ease off that gas pedal, let him turn. Set a good example, and others will follow soon.

2. The Excessive Honker

So the guy behind you is honking you nuts. You actually are just following the car in front, it’s not your fault, but still in this case let excessive honker go ahead. Give him way, if he mumbles a few words at you when he passes do not reciprocate. Instead hold a finger to your lips, maybe smile after that. Now this is going to take the guy by surprise, and hopefully he will think about it, and twice before honking excessively again. If not on the next occasion maybe the one after that.

3. The Lane Cutter
Yes it’s very unfortunate that we actually have a breed of such talent. So the fellow cut you in line or while turning. It certainly wasn’t necessary but he did it anyway. So instead of honking away and turning into an excessive honker. Here’s what I do. NO NO NO ofcourse we don’t swear at the guy. Assuming the guy is in front of you now that he has cut you. In the daytime. I flash my high beam for about 3 seconds sometimes even 5 when I am really mad. And this is constant not rapid flashing. Your stress just vanishes holding the headlight stalk for those few seconds. And yeah the guy gets the message. Hopefully he will learn something from this silent yet effective display of anger. Please note that constant flash is not advised in the night for obvious reasons. So I stick to 2 maybe 3 rapid flashes. In no circumstances should you try and cut him off again or overtake him. He’s obviously in a great hurry, let’s not make this a competition let him GO.

4. The High Beamer
Extremely irritating breed, if the motorist is behind you, please switch your inside rear view mirror to night mode by flicking the switch. And allow him to pass as early as possible, to regain your stress free drive. If the high beamer is an oncoming motorist. First of all slow down, Keep your eyes on the left side road marking, the one that marks the end of the road and beginning of the footpath. This will help greatly in case the light is blinding. If you feel that by not switching to high beam you are compromising your safety as well as that of other road users or pedestrians. It’s better to switch to high beam, until the oncoming motorist has passed. Please immediately switch to low beam after the high beamer has passed.

5. The Abuser
There are a lot of folks who get abusive, yes sometimes we make mistakes, and are at the receiving end. If it's your mistake, accept it graciously mouth a sorry or a hand gesture indicating your regret and move on. There is no point in swearing back and getting all stressed out. Mistakes happen, we are human after all.

6. The Macho Man
This guy is one step ahead of the abuser and actually gets out of his vehicle to physically attack you. If you see such a guy approaching roll up the windows if they are down. Leave a little rolled down so that the guy can talk to you, but not enough for him to squeeze his hand through. Verbally talk it out. Again, if it's your mistake accept it and apologize. If no damage has been done, drive off. If things seem to be getting out of hand, call 100 immediately or drive off to the nearest police station.

The above mentioned points are what i try to follow, you are welcome to share your own tips and tricks on coping with traffic situations.

Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:10   #73
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coping with Indian Traffic

Thanks for this mdsaab! Very well listed (eventhough these are obvious road manners / practices)

Just a couple of points.

Add-on to Section #1, #3: If you need to switch lane, signal early and then make the switch.

Maybe an additional item (#6) in Section #1: Leave enough space to the car infront of you. Ignore the irritation of having 2/3 wheelers squeezing in there, or the pressure from the motorist behind you.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd May 2011 at 09:11. Reason: headers underlined
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coping with Indian Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for this mdsaab! Very well listed (eventhough these are obvious road manners / practices)

Just a couple of points.

Add-on to Section #1, #3: If you need to switch lane, signal early and then make the switch.

Maybe an additional item (#6) in Section #1: Leave enough space to the car infront of you. Ignore the irritation of having 2/3 wheelers squeezing in there, or the pressure from the motorist behind you.
Fantastic points put up there, Signalling early is so very important.
and the gap with the car in front should ideally be 1 1/2 car lengths.
i hate the pressure that motorists give by tailing you, i always keep an eye on my rear view mirror, and if i see someone too close i prefer to let them pass.
Old 14th May 2011, 16:25   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel
How about coming up with stickers that we stick it on our car? This sticker would proudly announce car belonging to a TEAM-BHP member as well as say something like "I always obey traffic rule" or "My car is powerful but I drive responsibly" or "I respect traffic rule".

Well, but it also comes with responsibility as once we have this sticker, we should indeed drive responsibly.
I propose the 'Sticker' campaign with other programs.
Apart from pressurising us to be traffic-obeying, the slogan on sticker will spread the message to the other drivers too.
Did the Sticker program materialised?

Most Viewed