Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 17:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jharkhand: Using headlights to be made mandatory during the day

I am neutral towards this - I hope DRLs will do the job instead of low beam.

But at the same time, at nights the Govt. should ensure additional lights + Hi beams are not being used, as those cause an equal number of accidents by blinding oncoming drivers!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 17:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yes, DRLs should be made mandatory on all vehicles. I keep my Beat's park lamps on throughout the day. The drawback is, tail lamps too glow along with it. But then I am ok with it.

Cheers!
Old 8th December 2017, 21:53   #18
BHPian

Atleast when on the road, people should look out for fellow road-users and other objects even if they are unobtrusive. I honestly do not think that most oem headlamps with lower colour temperature would be noticed from a distance during daylight so as to make a considerable difference.

If a vehicle goes unnoticed by someone in broad daylight with its lights off, then chances are it will still go unnoticed even with low beams on. I have a completely different opinion about the LED DRLs. They will get noticed from a very longer distance than yellow halogen headlamps because of their higher color temperature.

The two wheelers are giving me enough trouble during the evenings especially while driving downhill and the oncoming vehicles point their lights right into the eyes. Most people don't use levelers. I hope the high beamers and HIDs on stock reflector guys are also caught and fined atleast when this gets implemented (or it will be a good time for me to start selling polarized glasses.)

On a lighter note, the street lights in my area are lit all day... maybe to make them more noticeable during the day and to avoid people driving into them.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 8th December 2017 at 22:02.
Old 10th December 2017, 21:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If everyone's headlight is on, how does one alert other's that he/she is coming from the wrong side?

On a serious note, I think this will be a good experiment for India. I generally see a lot of drivers delaying switching on their headlights during twilight hours, one of the most accident prone time of the day. During this time a car with lights on, is much easier to spot for pedestrians and other motorists. If headlights are always on, you take away the discretionary power from the human and visibility is never compromised. Wonder why no car maker has come with a programmable headlight timer? A menu that reads something like "Non headlight hours : 0800 hrs to 1700 hrs" should be easy to provide in cars with no "Auto" headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I, somehow, am not able to agree with this !! Logic is below:

A child on his/her birthday, looks brighter and special in the school among other students if he/she wears color dress/party wear. Reason: All other students wear normal uniform. Birthday baby wears special party wear.

If every student in the school wears party wear that are equally special, how do you identify the birthday baby? What is so special about birthday baby?

Logic is very analogical to Daylight DRLs and self explanatory.
I think here every vehicle on the road is the birthday baby, while the rest of scenery are the kids in normal uniform. The idea is to make every moving vehicle more visible.
Old 10th December 2017, 22:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
The two wheelers are giving me enough trouble during the evenings especially while driving downhill and the oncoming vehicles point their lights right into the eyes. Most people don't use levelers. I hope the high beamers and HIDs on stock reflector guys are also caught and fined atleast when this gets implemented (or it will be a good time for me to start selling polarized glasses.)
Exactly what I observe too. I specifically wonder about the new KTMs and Dominars whose high beam is pretty irritating even during a bright day. Perhaps the LED headlamps focus light in a specific directions while the good old incandescent lamps are more "normal" and easy on the eyes... Anyone else think the same way?
Old 12th December 2017, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Several years ago in 2003-04 when DRL mandate was relatively new I saw in Sweden that there were lots of older cars on road with main headlights switched on to comply to DRL regulation.
I noticed exactly the same thing - cars with lights switched on on the Autobahn - on one of my trips to Germany in the mid 2000s. I figured out only later, that some of them were actually DRLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If everyone's headlight is on, how does one alert other's that he/she is coming from the wrong side?

On a serious note, I think this will be a good experiment for India. I generally see a lot of drivers delaying switching on their headlights during twilight hours, one of the most accident prone time of the day. During this time a car with lights on, is much easier to spot for pedestrians and other motorists.
I take NICE road from PES to E-city and back, twice a week. One of the few irritants on this route is delayed switching on of headlights at dusk. Of course, they make up for it with a good deal of honking
Old 12th December 2017, 13:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I am neutral towards this - I hope DRLs will do the job instead of low beam.
In Europe if you car isnt equipped with specific DRL most countries advise to use low bean. For most European countries new cars need to have DLR fitted mandatory.

I remember many years ago, the Channel Tunnel from France to the UK had just opened. When entering the train, you were supposed to switch of all the lights on your car. It could trigger the fire alarm. It was a problem for amongst others, Volvo's and Saabs as they would always have their low beam on! You couldn't even switch them off if you wanted to. (apart from pulling a fuse)

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 13:20   #23
BHPian

How visible are the LED DRLs in a fog situation?

Delayed switching on of lights is something which even I have seen many a time but have never understood the logic behind that. Would anyone know the reason behind delayed switching on of the headlamps?
Though, with the auto headlamps coming in most of the cars, this is something which can now be avoided provided the stalk is kept in the auto mode.
Old 12th December 2017, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Delayed switching on of lights is something which even I have seen many a time but have never understood the logic behind that. Would anyone know the reason behind delayed switching on of the headlamps?
The only reasons I can think of are the impression that it conserves battery, and more probably, indifference!
Old 13th December 2017, 15:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
The only reasons I can think of are the impression that it conserves battery, and more probably, indifference!

That last one, probably very true. Most of my modern cars have auto lights and I usually keep them in that mode. Depends a bit on the car but I have noted that there is a substantial difference at how quickly the lights come on driving into say a tunnel. But also as it starts darkening some lights on auto mode will light up much earlier than others. Our Fords switch on more or less immediately when driving into a tunnel or a parking garage. With my Jaguar it takes 2-4 seconds.

Similar out in the open. The Ford auto function will switch on even before I would have manually switched on. The Jaguar is borderline late. Driving on a cloudy grey day in the Ford puts the lights on automatically. Not so on my Jaguar.

As with all auto modes, you still need to be aware and take appropriate action yourself if it isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed