Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 21:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR

Since whole sequence of event is recorded via dashcam, we will appreciate if it is shared with us members, here on this thread. It will help us understand the situation more.
Old 13th December 2017, 08:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Now, I have 2 questions for the esteemed members of Team-BHP.

1. Is the SA right on the 10% to be paid by me on the total even though I have Zero Dep insurance. This is the first time in a long time I am facing this situation so do not know the process.

Sorry to hear of this.

There is something called compulsory excess and will be mentioned in your policy. That is the amount that you will have to pay. It is normally anything between 1.5 -3k. 10% is wrong.

Driver error mate. You should have moved to your right and let the animal continue on its way. Understand that it was a high speed lane, but you should have been aware of any vehicle being present on that lane by the time you got to this situation. Nevertheless accidents happen and you end up wiser.

Thought the Hyderabad ORR now has a speed restriction of 80 kmph? There seems to be a big clamp down on speeding vehicles after all the high profile accidents on that road.
Old 13th December 2017, 08:39   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Thought the Hyderabad ORR now has a speed restriction of 80 kmph?
No buddy. Speed limit is still at 100 kmph.

Hope it is not reduced further.
Old 13th December 2017, 21:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
However, the moot point is that driving 200 kms every day for 5 days a week is going to take a toll on your health. Driving on Indian roads is not the same as driving in Europe or the States and the stress levels are considerably higher. You may like to consider this and make alternative arrangements.
Appreciate your concern. I am already looking for alternatives and should have a solution shortly.
Driving in India is a lot different than driving in the States.
Old 15th December 2017, 14:07   #20
BHPian

pls get a pair of good Aux light for your car , i use the ORR frequently at night and the addl. visibility due to aux lamps really helps .
Old 1st January 2018, 12:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I realized that there is a pig crossing the road.

Now, I have 2 questions for the esteemed members of Team-BHP.
1. Is the SA right on the 10% to be paid by me on the total even though I have Zero Dep insurance. This is the first time in a long time I am facing this situation so do not know the process.
Forget pig, I experienced people are crossing/walking in ORR as well.

And See, Even if you have a zero dep coverage, you still need to pay claim charges (Rs 1000-1200) & compulsory deductibles for consumables. In your policy documents, somewhere it will be mentioned that, parts value less than Rs 500(or so) will not be reimbursed. Basically, nuts, bolts etc in repair cases. Any part above the amount should be covered. This is to prevent frequent & small claims I guess. So put together that 10% came I guess. Let me know if further help is required in this case. And btw, at which dealer place are you doing this repair job?

Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Forget pig, I experienced people are crossing/walking in ORR as well.
Cheers!
During the day even I have seen people crossing/ walking and worse case, stopping on the fast lane to pluck flowers from the plants planted on the divider of the ORR

I am yet to see people crossing the road in the night.

Quote:
And See, Even if you have a zero dep coverage, you still need to pay claim charges (Rs 1000-1200) & compulsory deductibles for consumables. In your policy documents, somewhere it will be mentioned that, parts value less than Rs 500(or so) will not be reimbursed. Basically, nuts, bolts etc in repair cases. Any part above the amount should be covered. This is to prevent frequent & small claims I guess. So put together that 10% came I guess.
Yes, I was able to figure that out once I received the bill. It was a coincidence that the amount was 10% of the estimates. The charges were Rs.1000/- plus charges for nuts, bolts etc.

Quote:
And btw, at which dealer place are you doing this repair job?
Cheers!
Got this done at Saboo Hyundai, Nacharam.
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
During the day even I have seen people crossing/ walking and worse case, stopping on the fast lane to pluck flowers from the plants planted on the divider of the ORR
Yeah I have also experienced people are plucking flowers, near those L&T serene apartment area during early morning. God knows, what common sense they are having.

Be whatever reason, I strongly feel its better to be under 100 Km/h speed in ORR especially stretch upto airport from Gachibowli entrance. Things are little better once you cross exit 16(airport exit) from Gachibowli side.

I hope you have checked up your car while taking the delivery, especially painting, fittings etc.

Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2018, 15:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Be whatever reason, I strongly feel its better to be under 100 Km/h speed in ORR especially stretch upto airport from Gachibowli entrance. Things are little better once you cross exit 16(airport exit) from Gachibowli side.
Yes, I try to be in the range of 90-100 kmph. Sometimes, unknowingly, I do go over but have the dashcam configured to alert me whenever I go over.
The traffic is more until exit 16 but after that it is negligible. This incident happened near exit 11 (LB Nagar)

Quote:
I hope you have checked up your car while taking the delivery, especially painting, fittings etc.
Yes, I did. Those guys did a decent job of the painting and the fittings. They could have done better but decided it was not worth it.
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 08:31   #25
BHPian

And another kind of animal on the Hyd ORR.

Old 26th May 2020, 23:28   #26

Dead animals on the road

I would first like to thank the mods for accepting my first request to join this amazing forum.

I guess most of you have experience some kind of animal on the road . This is about my experience with a dead pig on the road.

I live in Hyderabad and got off the outer ring road and onto a 2 lane highway(Sagar highway) that connects the ORR to the city. It was around 730 - 8 PM and was properly dark.
I was one of many uneventful days and I was driving back my VW Vento from my office to my home. It was a poorly lit highway and there were no trees/shrubs in between the highway to reduce glare from the opposing traffic. And as you would expect from an Indian highway that's poorly lit, most of the opposing traffic was on their HIGH beams. This made it very difficult to see properly the road ahead. But as I drove on the same highway for close to a year I knew all the turns and the dividers and was not particularly bothered. Me trying to not be one of the troublemakers was driving on LOW beams.

There was a slow moving Indica in the fast lane so I switched lanes and tried to overtake it. I was doing about 80 KPH, when I was level with the Indica I saw a dead pig on the road. It was WIDER than the lane. It literally was around 7 feet wide and 2- 3 feet high.I swear to god I haven't seen a bigger pig in my life . The worst part was it was horizontal to the road and there was no way to avoid it. On low beams, only about 6 to 10 feet of the road is lit up. The stock VW lights are kinda weak. By the time I saw the pig and realised what it was I ran over it.

I hear a huge thud and something started scraping the road. I immediately pulled over to check the damage. I thought the bumper got ripped off and was scared to death. When I got off and checked, just the underbody protection was dislodged and was rubbing on the road. With a sigh of relief I got back and started driving slowly looking for a garage nearby. Luckily I found one in about 2-3 KM. Promptly went to the guy and explained what had happened. He took a look and started working.

While I thought the car was mostly unscathed, boy was I wrong. Once he opened the bonnet and started working, we realised that the lock carrier (a plastic thing that holds the radiator in place) was cracked. He tied it up with some binding wire. He then put back the underbody cladding after taking off the bumper and I thought that was it. Then once I was back on the road and started driving, I realised that the car was pulling left even though the steering was dead center. My heart dropped and I feared the worst(suspension damage).

The sad part is when I told the VW service guys during service the casually shrugged it off and had to live with the problem for about a year. I asked them to check alignment and they said they did. Im sure they checked alignment but they didn't check the control arms. They sadly were bent and upon insisting I wouldn't take delivery of the car after service, were changed.
That finally fixed the issue.

I guess I shouldn't be too mad though. There could have been so much more damage. If the airbags would have gone off there would have been so much more damage. Also I didn't lose control of the car and it drove straight after the impact.

Suffice to say Ive been so much more careful on that highway and drive on HIGH beams on it. Its better to momentarily blind someone that run over something.

I would love to hear your stories and see what you might do different to avoid something like this.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th May 2020 at 07:17. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post. Corrected typos as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks