Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 16:33   #1
BHPian

Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR

This is my first post on Team-BHP so kindly excuse any errors while posting.

Mods- Please move to relevant thread if this is not the correct place to post this.

So here goes.
I drive almost 100km every day to work via the Hyderabad ORR. Which means, 200km on a daily basis. The Hyderabad ORR is one of the best roads in the country and a pleasure to drive on. This obviously leads to some high-speed driving by people who do not value their lives or the lives of others.
But this post is not about the high-speed drivers. This post is to make the members of Team-BHP aware of some of the perils on the Hyderabad ORR (can happen on any Indian road though) and also ask for some advice.
This incident happened to me on 08 December 2017 when I was driving back from work. Time was around 9:50 PM. I was driving at just over 100kmph and was nearing the LB Nagar exit (Exit 11), I realized that there is a pig crossing the road.

Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR-orr.png

Now, luckily, there was no other vehicle near me (side or behind), as a result, I hit the brakes and tried to avoid hitting the pig by moving to the left. Unfortunately, I could not avoid hitting the pig and my front bumper along with the right fog lamp was damaged.
In hindsight, maybe I should have veered to the right instead of to the left, but the only reason I did not do that was because that being a high-speed lane, I was not sure if some moron was coming behind me at a high speed which would have resulted in a major accident.
My car is in the garage and the estimates from the SA is around Rs:13,000/-. I have Zero Dep insurance and might not be required to pay anything from my pocket (SA said that I might have to pay around Rs: 1300/-, which is 10% of the bill, which I am not sure if it is true).

Now, I have 2 questions for the esteemed members of Team-BHP.
1. Is the SA right on the 10% to be paid by me on the total even though I have Zero Dep insurance. This is the first time in a long time I am facing this situation so do not know the process.
2. Where can I complain regarding the animals on the ORR? I am paying a toll of Rs: 120/- per side, every day and am expecting a clear road devoid of such animals since this could lead to a major accident someday. There are people who drive at speeds of 200+ on this road. Just imagine what can happen if they hit something at that speeds.

I have sent an email to HMDA using their official id “cgmhgcl@gmail.com” with the details. I am yet to receive a response from them.

Hoping for some expert comments and advise from the Team-BHP members.

Last edited by SDP : 11th December 2017 at 17:43.
get2bid is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR

That's a lucky escape; a head-on collision would have been messy and led to more damage.

I'd imagine there's an Admin building near the toll; can you check if there's an officer there in charge who you can speak with regarding this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Now, I have 2 questions for the esteemed members of Team-BHP.
1. Is the SA right on the 10% to be paid by me on the total even though I have Zero Dep insurance. This is the first time in a long time I am facing this situation so do not know the process.
Even with a 0-dep policy, there will be some amount you will have to shell out. The bulk of it is the flat claim processing fee; others chargeables include nuts, screws and the like.

It is not 10% of the claim amount though. You're looking at about 1.5k ish.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th December 2017 at 17:42.
Old 11th December 2017, 17:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

NICE Road in Bangalore too is walled on both sides and yet we have had at least 2 instances of Leopards getting mowed down by unknown vehicles and losing their lives. Beyond that, it is indeed scary to confront a dark looking animal right ahead of you when you are at cruising speeds and have no expectations of something like that to pop right in front of you!!

Your images makes me remember one such section I would never forget - The Gwalior - Jhansi - Narsingpur section of the Central India corridor which I liberally refer to as cattle corridor because that was one section where I have not only see maximum concentration of cattle involved in "round table" conference on fast highways, but also maximum carcasses too. All this because we did this entire stretch at night and we encountered so many trucks changing lanes like an Autorickshaw does on crowded city roads to avoid the cattle - FOr them, it seemed like business as usual - All this because each one of us were used to this and were anticipating the cattle every 100 meters and hence drove accordingly. You case is totally shocking and dangerous!

And to me it looks like that one has made its way onto the main corridor by sneaking through some gaps may be?

Regarding your complaint, please reach out to the ORR authorities first and explain them the instance as you also have pictures to back your claim. I am sure they should foresee this as a potential accident maker and hence they will take things seriously.

The Madhya Pradesh Govt has this as a growing menace and had even contemplated using drones to capture abandoned cattle on highways that had caused so many accidents. Read more here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2017 at 17:58.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:56   #4
BHPian

I see that you have dash cam installed. Though a long shot, if you can prove that the accident happened on the ORR inside tolled road, you may be able to claim damages from toll operator.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I see that you have dash cam installed. Though a long shot, if you can prove that the accident happened on the ORR inside tolled road, you may be able to claim damages from toll operator.
I am not really worried about the compensation part. The reason I want to complain is so that they can take the necessary precautions required to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

I have seen many carcasses of dogs before on the ORR, but this was the first time I saw a pig, which was truly shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
NICE Road in Bangalore too is walled on both sides and yet we have had at least 2 instances of Leopards getting mowed down by unknown vehicles and losing their lives.
The Leopards probably can jump over the walls on the Nice Road. I have driven multiple times on the NICE Road when driving to Mysore from Hyderabad, I have never encountered any animals on the road there.

I will try and contact the toll operators to see if there is a method to complain and take it up with the higher authorities (will do it once I get my car back on Wednesday, hopefully).

Last edited by Zappo : 11th December 2017 at 19:06. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use the multiquote option to respond to everyone at once. Use Edit feature in the first 30 minutes to add to your post. Posts merged.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Animals have been on our highways for as long as the roads themselves. But it is gradually becoming dangerous with improving road quality and increasing speeds of the vehicles.

Just this weekend I was on a 1000km+ drive through Rajasthan and the amount of cattle on road every few hundred meters left me aghast! I couldn't gather courage to go beyond 70-80 anywhere, even though few sections had limits as high as 100.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Animals have been on our highways for as long as the roads themselves. But it is gradually becoming dangerous with improving road quality and increasing speeds of the vehicles.
I understand this is a very common occurrence in India on the highways and I am also very careful when on the highway.
In this case, this is a road which does not allow 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers. Is supposed to be walled on both the sides with absolutely no U-Turns for the entire stretch of 158km. So seeing an animal apart from a few dogs is a rarity and completely
Old 12th December 2017, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Re: Concerned about animals on the Hyderabad ORR

Here in South, a pig hit vehicle should not be driven and be sold off immediately. Hope this practice isn't prevalent there.

Lucky you to avoid any major mishap. I havent seen any animals crossing or visible on the ORR during my 5yr stint in Hyderabad except for snakes (Srisailam stretch)
Old 12th December 2017, 13:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Here in South, a pig hit vehicle should not be driven and be sold off immediately. Hope this practice isn't prevalent there.
A couple of my friends did advise me to sell it off or at least get a puja done for the car. I personally do not believe in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Lucky you to avoid any major mishap. I havent seen any animals crossing or visible on the ORR during my 5yr stint in Hyderabad except for snakes (Srisailam stretch)
Yes, this is the first time I saw a pig on the ORR. Have seen a couple of dogs before and yes, I did see a peacock crossing the ORR once. Halfway through, the peacock decided to take flight. I was so fascinated that I did not get a picture.

And, before you ask, I did not have a Dash Cam back then when I saw the peacock.

Last edited by get2bid : 12th December 2017 at 13:40.
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:16   #10
BHPian

Even Abroad, animals on roads is a common occurrence. Deer, moose, Kangaroo are common and the saying is,
If a animal is hit, damage to vehicles is always more than to animal.

Driver's usually follow this principal - Defensive driving.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_driving

Driving defensively includes:

General principles:
Controlling your speed.
Looking ahead and expecting the unexpected.
Being alert and distraction free.
Regarding other participants in traffic:
Preparedness for all sorts of actions and reactions of other drivers and pedestrians.
Not expecting the other drivers to do what you would ordinarily do.
Watching and respecting other drivers.
Regarding your own vehicle:
Maintaining a safe following distance.
Driving safely considering (adjusting for) weather and/or road conditions.
Adjusting your speed before entering a bend, in order to avoid applying the brakes in the middle of a bend.

Finally : Driving is a privilege not a right.
Old 12th December 2017, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Sorry to read about the damage. It is good that there was no injury to you. I completely agree that unexpected animals on the road, especially one like the ORR, is a very dangerous hazard.

Just a quick point, the speed limit for the ORR is 100 kmph. You mentioned you were going an little over 100. I am not saying anything on that, just cautioning you to be aware that the cops are challaning people speeding on the ORR.
Old 12th December 2017, 16:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven multiple times on the NICE Road when driving to Mysore from Hyderabad, I have never encountered any animals on the road there.
and this is exactly what I was trying to say! You suddenly encountering that animal on Hyderabad ORR was similar to the 2 instances where Leopards were killed by unidentified vehicles - totally unexpected.

Not even remotely saying NICE road is infested with such animals and no wonder you didn't find any whenever you have driven and nor did I every day when I am returning from work.
Old 12th December 2017, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Just a quick point, the speed limit for the ORR is 100 kmph. You mentioned you were going an little over 100. I am not saying anything on that, just cautioning you to be aware that the cops are challaning people speeding on the ORR.
Yes, I am aware and glad of the challaning on the ORR. Unfortunately, it still does not stop people from over-speeding. I was doing exactly 101 kmph which is why I mentioned I was going a little over 100kmph.

I really think that the max allowable the speed on the ORR should be at least 120kmph.
I know that the initial max speed when the ORR was opened was 120kmph and was later brought down to 100kmph after a spate of accidents on the ORR.
Old 12th December 2017, 18:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I complain regarding the animals on the ORR? I am paying a toll of Rs: 120/- per side, every day and am expecting a clear road devoid of such animals since this could lead to a major accident someday. .
It may not be possible to stop animals entering highways completely.

You would have read about instances of animals getting on to runways and causing accidents during flight takeoff / landing. Airports as such are confined and guarded space compared to an open highway.

There was a thread by a TBHPian couple of years back where his car got hit by a dog in Israel Link

I feel where we fall back is on trying to minimize incidents like this. I have had incidents where I encountered chicken, dogs, cows & goat on road and had to perform some or other evasive maneuver. Once even a deer darted across the road, however that was in a NH passing through a forest.

Apart from obvious danger to road users and vehicles this becomes a money making tactics also.

There were incidents of people throwing dead chicken on windshields of car and then asking money claiming that the you killed the animal. This was common in KA- KL border villages couple of years back.

Quote:
There are people who drive at speeds of 200+ on this road
Animals or not, you would agree that it is a dangerous speed.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I drive almost 100km every day to work via the Hyderabad ORR. Which means, 200km on a daily basis.
While i agree that animals must be prevented from straying into the road (the RFPs should factor such barricades), the local populace which stays near the road or whose village has been bisected by the road do break the barricades to visit kin or friends on the other side- thereby allowing animals to stray inside.

However, the moot point is that driving 200 kms every day for 5 days a week is going to take a toll on your health. Driving on Indian roads is not the same as driving in Europe or the States and the stress levels are considerably higher. You may like to consider this and make alternative arrangements.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed