Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2018, 22:34   #31

Re: Traffic signals: No 'Yellow Light' racket of the Delhi Traffic Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
I was surprised day before yesterday when my driver called me and said that he had been challaned for red light jumping at Lawrence Road Crossing in North Delhi.

So, i wish to make members aware of this "yellow light" racket which some corrupt traffic policemen operate on some crossings which are long as well as crowded and challan people for red light jumping.
Hey! happened with me too at the Rajouri Red Light (West Delhi) sometime back! The cop wasnt ready to agree that the yellow was not functioning, I crossed the road, started filming the functioning of the redlight and seeing all this, he understood Paise nhi milne yahan se ( I wasnt going to fall for their trick) and he asked me to go without paying anything.
Old 16th January 2018, 14:16   #32
BHPian

I am not sure about other cities, but here in Hyderabad, I have started noticing that each signal behave differently.
Some of the signals have a blinking Green turning to Amber and then after a few seconds turn red.
Expecting the same behaviour at the next signal, I was stopped by a cop when the blinking green turned to Red
Only when I showed him the footage from the previous signal, he allowed me to go. He said that he will ask his superiors about it.

I know that complaining about it is like but would be nice if there was someplace this could be escalated to.

I know the Hyderabad Traffic Police have a Facebook page and they are quite active there, but whenever I have posted any complains there, I have never gotten a response from them.
Old 16th January 2018, 14:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
I was surprised to see people crossing the stop line and almost taking a right turn at the Dhaulakuan Signal. I was the first one to stop at the signal. I stopped before the stop line as a habit from Kolkata. Soon I was third/fourth in line with all other cars crossing the stop line and stopping in front of me.
Delhi probably has the least compliance with regard to obeying traffic lights & stop lines, amongst all the metro cities of india. No wonder Delhi Traffic Police is so desperate to rein in lawbreakers. Yet, the number of traffic police personnel on the streets is minuscule compared to the number of cars and crazy drivers here, so in a very large majority of instances, people get away with breaking the law and not suffering the consequences.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 15:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

In this case as someone rightly pointed out, if vehicles were being driven carefully and if I had an assurance that others behind me would stop, I would have stopped the vehicle too.

At a lot of signals in Pune where the traffic is moving fast to catch the green signal, I feel like the odd man out slowing down for signals which turn amber. Most vehicles speed up further when they see amber. I have now started switching to the slowest lane for that road (not always left) when I want to slow down for an amber signal. I have been rear ended twice and the blame has been pinned on me for stopping for a red signal without checking how fast others were tailgating me. Notwithstanding the fact that I have a local vehicle and not an outstation one

In another incident, one cop asked me to stop at a major junction while the light turned amber. At the same time, a second cop waved at me to go from where he was standing (on the passenger side). I ended up stopping past the pedestrian crossing. The second cop came up and asked me why I stopped. I refused outright to pull over to the side and called the first cop who had asked me to stop. After some discussions, the signal turned green and I was asked to go.

Another related aspect could be the visibility of the signal itself. This is much worse during sunup and sundown times when the sun glare is from behind the traffic signal causing an eclipse type effect. To add to the visibility issues, poor road surface, speeding tailgaters/ overtakers, we also have the special facility in Pune of cops hiding after the turn just to catch hold of traffic offenders; mostly behind a tree or a parked truck.

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th January 2018 at 15:57.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:39   #35
BHPian

A modern city like Delhi with scientifically laid out roads should need as few personnel at crossings as possible. Unfortunately compliance in Delhi was always poor ! Calcutta was probably the last metro to introduce full-scale traffic lights, and generally one constable with casual hand gestures was sufficient. When traffic lights were placed on all crossings, they were AUTO-MANUAL, meaning that a constable sat on a roadside booth to watch density and control lights accordingly. So we needed two - one inside, and another outside to chase errant cars or take down their numbers ! Amusing, really.

Then came the sergeants on bikes, so called because of British era hangover though they actually were ASIs or SIs, lurking under some shady tree, ready to race you down if you think you have outsmarted the light as well as the foot-soldier ! Same system is followed , more or less, everywhere, with the addition of CCTV cameras, photo challans and radar-guns being introduced as gradual tech upgradations. But nothing can defeat the Indian spirit for adventure, even at the risk of hefty fines !
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

On Experimental basis: No more excuses for not seeing red lights at traffic signals!

LED traffic lights on road as signal – First in India in Hyderabad .

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd July 2019 at 11:09.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
On Experimental basis: No more excuses for not seeing red lights at traffic signals!
[/url]
I would love to see this in Bangalore. Manytimes I am forced to be behind a bus/TT or a goods carrier and they end up blocking the view of the signal.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 09:11   #38
BHPian

Some good news for honest drivers:

Mats Järlström’s victorious 6-year battle over yellow lights

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Mats Järlström’s emotions were clearly visible Friday morning. After years of arguing red light traffic cameras are flawed, the official Journal of the Institute of Transportation Engineers said he was right.
The ITE sets traffic policy recommendations for the United States — and they said cities should be using his formula.
Mats Järlström waged a 6-year battle to prove red light traffic cameras are flawed — and won, February 28, 2020 (KOIN)
“It is a big deal,” Järlström told KOIN 6 News. “It’s the top.”
Mats Järlström waged a 6-year battle to prove red light traffic cameras are flawed — and won, February 28, 2020 (KOIN)
Six years ago he tried to tell the Beaverton City Council there’s a problem with its red light cameras. Then there was the State of Oregon, which fined him for practicing engineering without a license.
He had to file a federal lawsuit to continue his research to prove drivers making turns at intersections often get caught in a dilemma when they’re slowing down to make a turn and the yellow light isn’t long enough.
Järlström said he used 8th-grade math skills to prove drivers have been getting tickets they can’t avoid.
This is the yellow light dilemma zone that Mats Jarlstrom pointed out to show how red light traffic cameras are flawed, February 28, 2020 (KOIN)
He agreed that people tried to marginalize him but he was right.

mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks