Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 23:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

I have a written communication from the NHAI that Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) is developing software to catch over-speeding violations using toll booth data. Distance from one toll to next toll is fixed and would require certain minimum time within prescribed speed limit. If someone is reaching earlier proves over-speeding. Similar system is currently in place in Tirumala (time bound travel requirement). For FASTag users, data is already available, they just need to use it

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2017 at 09:41. Reason: Copying post to new thread :). Thanks for sharing!
airbus is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: You'll soon get caught for overspeeding using toll booth data

Thanks for sharing, Airbus! Moving your post to a new thread.

Can certainly be automated and the data is ready for the police to use. Cops in Maharashtra have been doing this manually since a while now. They wait at the 2nd toll booth on the expressway, compare your time between the two tolls and act accordingly.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Airbus! Moving your post to a new thread.

Can certainly be automated and the data is ready for the police to use. Cops in Maharashtra have been doing this manually since a while now. They wait at the 2nd toll booth on the expressway, compare your time between the two tolls and act accordingly.
I too have experienced this during my drives between Mumbai and Pune. However, one usually stops at the food plaza and the time spent there gets added so most people do not get caught, only ones who overspeed and do not stop are vulnerable
rpunwani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:03   #4
BHPian

I think this is a good idea, but this also should go together with the speed limits being a bit realistic - hope they don't use 80kph as the benchmark top speed and fine motorists based on that...
Bigzero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is in force @ Tirumala too, I believe.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
However, one usually stops at the food plaza and the time spent there gets added so most people do not get caught, only ones who overspeed and do not stop are vulnerable
There will be people who may devise ways to beat this but I think still majority will follow or will be compelled to follow speed limit. Moreover, if they need to stop in between toll booths just to kill time as they exceeded speed limit will itself nullify the purpose of over-speeding. For a long drive you may have number of toll booths to pass
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is in force @ Tirumala too, I believe.
Correct. And I have seen many who drive like their pants are on fire, but then take a 5 or 10 minute break just before reaching the top.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:51   #8
BHPian

Something like this was implemented here in Kerala long back. The private buses has punch at designated spots/booths. What actually happened was that, the bus would punch out and wait just outside of the start booth (or where ever there is chance of getting more passengers) and then speed to next station. In short running was always at break-neck speed but time time taken was as per the set standard.
Same might happen here. Fly like jet, spend time at some food plaza or take some other break and reach on time at next toll booth. Same jugaad
kozhissery is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

From an enforcement point of view this will be a good move and certainly good use of the data that will be available with the authorities.

A few questions come to mind.

1) Will they send notices by post to all the violators or will there be random enforcement by cops sitting at random booths and collecting spot fines?

2) This could well create a situation where drivers stop before the toll booth or by the side of the road on highways to kill time and create another kind of dangerous situation.

3) What will be considered as too fast? Most highways have an 80 kmph limit. So if you average 80 kmph, surely you have crossed 80 kmph at some point.

I am all for using technology for better enforcement. But enforcement without updating laws to match the current environment will taking everyone backwards. Today we boast of highways of international standards and we all pay to drive on such roads. What's the point if we are all forced to drive on these highways at speeds that were fixed as limits about 25 years back? 50 mph is simply too slow on big 4/6 lane highways.

As per this website less than 3% of the world has a limit of 50 mph or less!! India is depicted as a 120 kph country, maybe becasue of the Hyderabad ORR.

You'll soon get caught for overspeeding using toll booth data-800pxworld_speed_limits.jpg

Source : http://brilliantmaps.com/speed-limits/

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd December 2017 at 11:07.
Santoshbhat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Wow. I'm all for this.

But maintaining average speed ≠ maintaining the speed limit isn't it? Exactly the point that Santoshbhat has mentioned above.

And there might be a few roads which don't have an entry & exit toll point. E.g. the BETL flyover on Hosur Road. How about them? Ofcourse you may say that the situation is not going to become worse than current for these roads.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:32   #11
BHPian

Atleast 90% of offenders will get caught for the first time till they realise about the system .

Along with this NHAI could also install speed cameras at various location which could transmit pics to next toll exit in real time . All this is possible only the will to implement is required .
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

There will always be loopholes. We are Indians after all, famous for jugaads. But corrective actions can always be taken.

For places with entry and exit tolls, such as Pune Mumbai expressway, this is perfectly doable. I thought it was already in place! Sure there will still be people who will game the system like taking a 10 minute halt, waiting before the toll naka to complete their time etc, but they can be tackled in the next step.

And the authorities SHOULD calculate time based on 80kmph average (or whatever speed limit is there). Some stretches have even 30KMPH speed limit - like the ghat section at Lonavala. If they don't calculate based on 80KMPH limit, they are effectively overruling themselves.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

So what is the speed limit on our highways? I know it is 80 kmph when we are within any town limits on the NH.

I know that the govt had proposed 100 kmph for cars and 65 kmph for 2 wheelers in 2007 which never got implemented.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:43   #14
BANNED

Checking at toll booths has been common in France for ages. Only going down we used to stop overnight in a service area so this check was irrelevant.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:52   #15
BHPian

This system may not be fool proof. Its better to start now and create awareness among the drivers. A pre-preemptive fine would go much longer in reminding the dangers of high speed driving.
Jugaad is Indian way of living. Whatever the government does, people will find a way around it. God save them and their victims. For others its a good measure.
aadya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed