Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:03   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017

· Total average traffic speed drops by a whopping 2.9km / hr with Bangalore registering the slowest at 17.2 km / hr.

· Delhi tops as the city that shares the most (note: unsurprising as it is also the city with the most cars).

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017-1.jpg

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017-2.jpg

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017-3.jpg

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ola shares some travel stats from 2017

Bangalore's traffic problems explained in one graphic -> physical location of each of the IT (Tech) parks.

Ola shares some travel stats from 2017-techparks.jpg

Out of 20 something Tech parks, only ONE is on left hand side of the city. ONE!
SmartCat is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Before this morphs into an another Bangalore traffic rant thread, only points to mention:

- Commuting 40km in Mumbai vs 40km in Bangalore is a huge difference.
- While Mumbai is vastly expansive, Bangalore seems more like highways of Kerala. One choke junction after another!
- There are little to none of those expansive spaces to cover.
- This is one reason why I think creating rail infrastructure is that much more difficult in Bangalore.
- It should have been organic to begin with but I think the need then did not even show up.
- Others cities also have huge population masses at concentrated locations.
- But in my opinion, such centre of high density population (sub-urbs for example) also have an alternative mode of trasport apart from road (rail).
- Thats a big downer in Bangalore. Hopefully the next generation would benefit with all the changes happening today!
ampere is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interesting stats, nothing like a cab operator to get all the numbers. Whats surprising is that despite not many roads being added to the city, Mumbai's average speed fell only by 0.9 km/h where as in Hyderabad, it fell by 8.6 km/h. I concur with the average speeds in Mumbai atleast - takes me about an hr or more to cover 20 km in peak times. Though today was a contrast, as it took me just 20 minutes to cover the usual 24 km.

This survey also highlights the grim traffic situation in Indian metros today. With an average decrease of 2.9 km/h, it won't be long before all traffic comes to a grinding halt. IMHO, parking and road encroachments are the key reason for traffic jams. Despite having a 6 laned road in Vashi, only 2 of those can be realistically used. Autos waiting for their passengers, trucks and small goods vehicles unloading cargos, and buses meandering between left and right lanes - can't blame them, stops are on the left side, while the empty lanes are on the right.

I think the local bodies must take a hard look at this and I would say approach Ola for detailed study of the traffic patterns in cities to find solutions to traffic problems in the city. This will enable cops to better manage traffic and decrease the overall travelling time of the commuters.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyderabad has witnessed the highest drop in average speed (9 kmph), something which I have felt/experienced last year. Last year, it had the second lowest average speed. It is briskly heading towards the situation which was dreaded in Bangalore only.

I have stayed in both the cities in the past and, keep travelling to Bangalore often. I get to see the transformation of the cities as well as the traffic conditions.

Hyderabad: 2011
Bangalore: 2012-13
Hyderabad: 2015- till date

PS: My office commute (10km one way) time has increased from 15-30 mins (depending on the time) to 45-75 mins since last year. This is despite me starting 15-30 mins earlier.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd January 2018 at 11:54.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:12   #6
BHPian

This is a great start. While the data points are very very limited, it should encourage others especially google maps/ waze to release similar (if not more) data.

It would be interesting to know if avg speed was calculated on 24hr basis or 12/8 hrs. Peak hour and non-peak hour avg speeds shouldn't be added IMO.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Bangalore's traffic problems explained in one graphic -> physical location of each of the IT (Tech) parks.
I agree the physical location of the IT parks makes a difference. So does the mode of transport. If it was known during the sanction phase where these IT parks were going to be built, mass transit systems should have been built alongside.
Pune, for example, has IT parks located at what were then the edges of city limits; Hinjewadi, Kharadi & Magarpatta (mainly). With the development of these IT parks in the city fringes, land development has only mushroomed further outwards resulting in annexes of annexes in places that were earlier not even in city limits. Wagholi annex anyone?!
I assume many of the Ola/ Uber user community are from this industry. Many others prefer to continue to use their own transport; so there is still a lot of scope to get private vehicles off the roads.

Due to lack of foresight and town planning, we miss a state where we would rely more on public transport than private or hired vehicles. May be organisations should contribute by offering a discount on monthly pass for the Metro routes (as done in certain European cities).
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

We continue to suffer from a chronic and perpetual lack of administrative foresight. Building infrastructure reactively is a self-defeating exercise because the use case is changing even while construction is on, plus the projects themselves make traffic a whole lot worse while in progress. Add in inevitable delays due to administrative inefficiencies and it's a vicious circle.

Even today, taking Bangalore for an example because I live here, authorities still refuse to work with all stakeholders and external experts during planning phase, choosing instead to rely on internal planning which often ends up in badly designed or outright pointless structures that waste public funds but solve nothing. We'd be lucky if it doesn't create a new problem. Drive along ORR to witness samples of extraordinary useless engineering
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:45   #9
BHPian

Surprised !! to see Delhi topping the charts with best average speed during the traffic, wider Delhi roads are to be given credit plus the ever growing metro network. There is slight dip in avg. speed in comparison to last year but the margin is negligible, Delhi being most populated manages such humongous traffic with ease in correlation to other metros.

Chennai, Hyderabad and Bengluru are worst, having lived in Bangalore for over a year in 2009-2010 I have first hand experience of getting stuck at massive jam at silk-board and till today the situation is no different. Karnataka govt. must take appropriate measure to get rid of this immortal bottleneck,
varoon9999 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:55   #10
BHPian

If the average speed is hovering around 20kmph in most cities, electric cars make a lot of sense. A range of around 200 km, fast charging and decent support infrastructure can make things bright for the electric Verito and Tata motors products.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Public Transport:

While the statistics themselves indicate a shift in commute times, towards the higher side, it also is an alarm that Public transportation like Metro or Suburban trains is only to going to ensure that things don't get worse than today at rapid pace than it would in the absence of such Public Transport systems.

Road Network and Infrastructure:

Wide roads may help, to a greater extent but what kills it instantly is a narrow bottleneck that awaits ahead - A classic example is Bangalore's famed Hebbal Flyover which doesn't even figure in the list there. It is not a junction that is causing jams here but a flyover that is the very reason! Talk about 3 lanes from the expressway merging with 2 lanes from the service lane and each one trying to scissor the other by heading from right to left and vice-versa right before the mouth of the flyover. Sorry, this very flyover can handle only 2 lane and if this is not enough, way ahead it also greets fellow commuters merging from 2 other loops towards the city, again 2 lanes each. Hence, essentially this is Toothpate tube explained with a marvelous flyover that was once touted as the few of the complex loops built then in early 2000.

Skewed data?

I recall responding to a similar survey last year as to how this data may not give anyone the real picture of traffic from most cities. For instance, as smartcat has pointed out, the presence of Tech parks elsewhere has ensured density of cabs in these areas. I see far too many taxis in Whitefield, ORR and EC areas than anywhere else. Secondly, OLA and Uber are still not the most preferred Airport cabs. So they won't even make a good sample to certify particular stretches where we regular commuters in our own vehicles are the best guinea pigs!

I would love to see Googlemaps come up with these surveys than a cab aggregator because a lot of surprises will get unfolded in terms of traffic patterns.

And representing one of the single mammoth state, we have got Mumbai and Pune that make it to the list and needless to say, they are right there below Bangalore and Delhi.

Gradual increase with commute times:

In last month alone, I drove to Pune/Mumbai twice and it was so easy to guess how things are gradually heading towards mayhem. Crossing Pune from Westerly bypass to Eastern most suburbs on an Xmas Holiday noon was more time consuming than last year and so was the return on a weekday (post noon) that took me more than 90 minutes. The answer was right there; More vehicles and narrower roads (which seemed wider then).

Delhi on the other hand fares better with maximum vehicles around - Thanks to consistency in terms of wider roads that is missing in many other cities. As they say you create a flyover to shift the Jam from one signal to the next one.

Wait for it.....
One thing for sure, the future is not going to get any better!

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd January 2018 at 13:17.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprising to see Bangaloreans deciding to leave later to work. I thought it was the opposite way around since I see greater traffic early in the morning. However, due to the nature of my work timings, I get to achieve higher average speeds during my Commute. My average speed in the mornings are 30kmph, and during my return is 19-20kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Attachment 1712216

Out of 20 something Tech parks, only ONE is on left hand side of the city. ONE!
Sorry to nitpick, but there are more on the stretch between Marathahalli and KR Puram namely Bagmane etc. That will make the difference you wish to show more prominent. The entire right side of the city as in the Map is concentrated with tech parks which also represents the poor state of affairs in this region wrt traffic, pollution, lifestyle etc. And I think this is the area where the cabbies get most of the rides.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In last month alone, I drove to Pune/Mumbai twice and it was so easy to guess how things are gradually heading towards mayhem. Crossing Pune from Westerly bypass to Eastern most suburbs on an Xmas Holiday noon was more time consuming than last year and so was the return on a weekday (post noon) that took me more than 90 minutes. The answer was right there; More vehicles and narrower roads (which seemed wider then)
The width on this bypass may still be the same. However, the term bypass is now a complete misnomer. When this bypass was built, it was with the intention of bypassing the city traffic. However, if you also build the biggest IT park off this bypass and then allow sale of surrounding land to all and sundry it is creating a perfect traffic storm. In this case, the city expanded beyond the bypass and I do recall a lot of real estate ads touting proximity to the bypass as their USP.
Once the city expands itself to include the bypass as a clogged artery than (for lack of a better example) an external drip, it brings with it all the associated 'cityness'. Essentially a lot of two wheelers and a lot of local businesses lining the now ex bypass. Essentially we are all now using a sorry excuse of a two lane road with stop gap workarounds or bandaid patches all over. This may sound similar to what happened with the outer ring road in Bangalore, though I have not been there in the last 13 years, so cannot comment (or rant) more.

In Pune, the stark difference is visible right from the Khed Shivapur toll plaza all the way through to the turnoff at Ravet. Buildings lining both sides of the road, and just too many vehicles and traffic to deem this as a bypass anymore. What will happen next? Perhaps another bypass or a ring road further out of town, for the city to gobble up more land.

In any case, most of the highways we have seem to enter the cities than bypass them altogether from far far away!
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The width on this bypass may still be the same. However, the term bypass is now a complete misnomer. When this bypass was built, it was with the intention of bypassing the city traffic.
Indeed. I have been a regular commuter from Nhavale to Hinjewadi while I worked between 2008-10 and apart from that my usual runs to Pune & GJ. So I have clearly seen the way the bypass was that really had some super fast sections to what it is today including the mess when the flyovers were expanded.
Quote:
However, if you also build the biggest IT park off this bypass and then allow sale of surrounding land to all and sundry it is creating a perfect traffic storm.
This is exactly the case with Bangalore's Ring road, especially the KR Puram to Silkboard stretch. Once a section that was secluded post 8PM to the most talked about stretch on the Bangalore traffic rants thread .

Quote:
In Pune, the stark difference is visible right from the Khed Shivapur toll plaza all the way through to the turnoff at Ravet. Buildings lining both sides of the road, and just too many vehicles and traffic to deem this as a bypass anymore.
Well you are almost in Pune now right from Shirwal these days! All this in the last 5 years alone.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:11   #15
BHPian

As someone who rides an e-bike within Bangalore, I've seen the magic words "Reached in 45 minutes - 15 minutes earlier than predicted" on my Google Nav during a 15 km evening ride from Richmond Circle to Sarjapur Road.

Probably the wrong forum to say this, but cars have become wildly impractical in major cities, with parking issues and towing issues and what not.
anku94 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed