Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 19:31   #16
BHPian

Government Approved Electric Vehicles will get Green Number plates

Electric vehicles in future will be getting green number plates, these vehicles will be eligible for benefits like concession on tolls, preferential parking and more.
Good move to boost electric vehicles sales.

Quote:
“The government has approved distinctive green license plates for electric vehicles in order to encourage people to use electric vehicles," Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road, Transport and Highways, told PTI. It will be the fifth type of license plate meant for civilian-owned vehicles in India.
The green license plate would help the drivers of these vehicles get privileges such as concession in toll charges, preference in parking areas and be allowed to enter congested areas. The step has been taken to promote the adoption of EVs in the country.
More info here
Source

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 10th May 2018 at 19:32.
Old 11th May 2018, 23:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers

Every little drop of water is needed to fill the lake. Good step even if a simple one. It helps broadcast the message that green is in and green is important in Govt policy.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 07:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Green number plates for EVs get green signal from MoRTH.

Quote:
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways today announced that all battery operated vehicles (electric vehicles) will now exhibit green registration mark. For transport vehicles the number plate will have yellow font with green background and for all other vehicles white fonts on green background
EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers-ac13ed92d7aa47f5907975b11176efa2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 18:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
I
According to Nitin Gadkari, Union Ministry for Road Transport and Highways, green plates with white font will be for private EVs, while green plates with yellow font will be reserved for taxis.
Ah ! messing up things again! It should have been Green font on white / yellow background.
Old 16th August 2018, 11:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
In January 2018, the Niti Aayog had come up with a to introduce green coloured license plates for electric vehicles (EVs). The draft policy has now received an approval from the Government of India in a bid to increase the number of electric vehicles on road.
The notification.

Name:  Screen Shot 20180816 at 11.34.23 am.png
Views: 1196
Size:  196.0 KB
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Ah ! messing up things again! It should have been Green font on white / yellow background.
Green font on white or yellow background will be less easily readable than the proposed scheme.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 16:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The notification.

Attachment 1790418
What about the vehicles registered before this notification? should they change? if yes, by when? Do we have any info on this?
Old 16th September 2019, 16:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Green HSRP on Hyundai EV Kona.

Source: Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers-kona1.jpg  

EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers-kona2.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 13:40   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Green HSRP on Hyundai EV Kona.
Just spotted two Hyundai Kona's with regular HSRP (white background with black letters) as opposed to Green ones in the post above.

I was expecting to see the HSRP in green actually.
Old 21st May 2020, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just spotted two Hyundai Kona's with regular HSRP (white background with black letters) as opposed to Green ones in the post above.

I was expecting to see the HSRP in green actually.
Any pictures? The Kona is available with a petrol engine and a hybrid as well outside India. Did you see the front or the back? Did it have a regular radiator grille at the front or a closed-off one like EV on sale here?
Old 21st May 2020, 17:46   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Any pictures? The Kona is available with a petrol engine and a hybrid as well outside India. Did you see the front or the back? Did it have a regular radiator grille at the front or a closed-off one like EV on sale here?
Couldn't click any pictures, zoom'ed past me at 100 kmph and by the time my mobile realised I was trying to switch on the camera, the Kona was off my sight.

Yes, it has both the number plates (HSRP) were in white and was the closed-off one (EV) that is being sold here.
Old 28th July 2020, 19:32   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Any pictures?
Got a chance to click one today:
EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers-img_20200728_170853__01__01.jpg
Old 20th April 2024, 00:17   #28
BHPian

Green number plates for EVs - Why?

Its been a puzzling thought for a while for me to understand the reasons behind green number plates for EVs. Besides India, I have not seen EVs having such physically visible identification applied. I googled a bit to understand the real reasons and some of the arguments are below. I am still not fully convinced about a real need creating a separate plate coloring system for EVs.
  • Identifying EVs uniquely - this was a reason stated in several forums, but no one knows the answer to why. Even if there is a need, I do not see the need of having the entire plate painted green.
  • Incentives, Concessions on tolls, exclusive parking zones etc - Is this a thing? I do not recall seeing such concessions. Even if that is the case, I do not see the need of having plates with different colors.
  • Commercial vehicle operators may need to include a certain percentage of electric vehicles in their future: This is pure administration topic. No physical identification will help.
  • Promotion of Electric Mobility: For the sake of an argument, This point makes some sense, but I can also imagine people wishing not to stand out just because they have an EV.

Do you know of any valid points that could support the use case of painting EV plates green?

I also have a side question. What if I have a taxi that is EV?
What would be the color of the plate?

EVs could get green number plates, free parking & toll waivers-orbizgreennumberplate.jpeg
image: Google

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks