Team-BHP - Mumbai vehicle count is 32 lakh; up 56% in just 5 years
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Mumbai vehicle count is 32 lakh; up 56% in just 5 years (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/194374-mumbai-vehicle-count-32-lakh-up-56-just-5-years.html)

The number of vehicles plying on Mumbai's roads has gone up by 56% in the last 5 years. The total vehicle count in city now stands at 32 lakh and is rising. According to the RTO, close 700 vehicles are being registered daily.

Mumbai vehicle count is 32 lakh; up 56% in just 5 years-mumbai-traffic.jpg

In 1980-81, there were just 3.2 lakh vehicles registered in Mumbai. Over the next two decades, this figure crossed the 10 lakh mark and by 2011-12, the city had more than 20 lakh vehicles. Another 12 lakh were added to the tally in just 5 years. At this rate, another 10 lakh vehicles are likely be added on the roads in just 2-3 years.

According to the Mumbai Environmental Social Network, the number of 2-wheelers, app-based taxis and school buses has recorded maximum grown in the recent years. The number of 2-wheelers has crossed the 18 lakh mark and there are 3,775 school buses in the city as against 700 in 2000-01. App-based taxis have gained popularity in recent times. In the last four years, the number of Ola and Uber cabs has risen to 45,000. The number of private cars stands at 10 lakh.

While the number of vehicles has been rising at a fast pace, the overall length of the city's roads has remained the same at 2,000 km. This has reduced average speeds of vehicles from 45 km/h to 20 km/h. Parking has become a big problem as well.

Source: Times of India

Link to Team-BHP News

The scenario is similar in most big cities across the length and breadth of our country. The myopic vision of authorities has resulted in this chaos and mess. It has been said umpteen times about the lack of efficient public transport. The less said the better about the condition of roads. I'm worried about the coming generations. The stress of daily traffic can severely take a toll on your mental health. I have almost given up the hope that things will improve in the foreseeable future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4339436)
According to the Mumbai Environmental Social Network, the number of 2-wheelers, app-based taxis and school buses has recorded maximum grown in the recent years. The number of 2-wheelers has crossed the 18 lakh mark and there are 3,775 school buses in the city as against 700 in 2000-01. App-based taxis have gained popularity in recent times. In the last four years, the number of Ola and Uber cabs has risen to 45,000. The number of private cars stands at 10 lakh.

While the number of vehicles has been rising at a fast pace, the overall length of the city's roads has remained the same at 2,000 km. This has reduced average speeds of vehicles from 45 km/h to 20 km/h. Parking has become a big problem as well.
[/b]

So true - travel time has nearly doubled compared to earlier, and with the bikers + taxis, it's no longer a smooth and disciplined flow of traffic that Mumbai was known for.

The infrastructure is really struggling to ferry people to and fro - the Metro & Sea-routes just don't seem to be happening quick enough.

IMO the problem is worse on the Western side of the city as compared to the eastern / central side which is better planned. However, in terms of real estate, there is a lot more supply coming up on the eastern / central side, so the Govt. needs to ensure they start accounting for the same now only, instead of firefighting later on (as is the case with the Western side).

The government doesn't care two hoots about any people projections. They only count the amount coming into their pockets. Look at the western express scenario in peak evening traffic. This is exactly how hell must be feeling like.

Metros like these that are choking under the pressure of vehicular traffic need efficient public transport options and a solid adoption of car-pooling solutions. One person driving an Innova to work and back occupies an available road estate for at least 10 people. It really bugs me to watch such blatant under-utilization of vehicular resources. :Frustrati

On a related note, BEST is doing its bit to shut down services on around 160 routes, owing to low ridership. This will allow the city to breathe a wee bit freely in those areas. I also came across the proposal for two new sea routes for containers, that'll help decongest the roads in Mumbai and Thane districts.

https://www.proptiger.com/guide/post...mbai-and-thane

Below is an illustration of how much space is wasted due to inefficient utilization of private vehicles. (Source: Seattle Bike Blog)

Pardon me, but let me play the devils advocate.

I travel from Thane to Navi Mumbai (~15 km) for work. If I've to take public commute, I'd -
a. Take a solo auto from home to Thane Railway station (~60 Rs) ~ 25 min
b. train to Ghansoli (local node in navi mumbai) (~10 Rs) ~ 40 min
c. queue up for shuttle auto from Ghansoli to work (~10 Rs) ~ 10 min

And the same on way back.

Neither very pocket friendly, nor hassle-free, nor much of a time-saver. Not to mention the crumpled shirts and sweat in Mumbai's sultry weather.

Once I am able to afford, what is the natural choice for me?
Anybody's guess.

While I completely agree that we should be environmentally and socially responsible, how many of us would pay the cost towards it, especially if we can afford a more comfortable commute.

Agree that once the metro comes in, things would change for better.
We'll discuss again then. Till that time, I'd rather drive.

@anurag: no one denies the state of public transport now. i guess the point was that the government should have planned for such scenarios years back and ensured a proper public transportation system. Neat, clean, punctual. High hopes i know...

I can certainly attest to the figures quoted based on my personal experience. In the recent past, I've encountered traffic on a weekend afternoon, and a Saturday night :Shockked:. You'd think that the roads should be emptier on non-working days / off-peak hours.

That said, some of the traffic was due to the metro work happening, so I won't complain about those stretches. Short-term pain for long-term gain :thumbs up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoverX (Post 4339479)
Metros like these that are choking under the pressure of vehicular traffic need efficient public transport options

There is no denying the enormous advantages of an efficient public transport system, but that won't magically take away traffic jams. Look at the bigger cities in China, or even New York. Rush-hour traffic is the same everywhere. I can't think of any metropolitan city worldwide without traffic nightmares.

What good public transportation does is give one a better option to travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 4339708)
ensured a proper public transportation system

Let's give them some credit - the Metro is coming up everywhere. Late yes, but better late than never.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anurag.somani (Post 4339503)
Once I am able to afford, what is the natural choice for me?
Anybody's guess.

While I completely agree that we should be environmentally and socially responsible, how many of us would pay the cost towards it, especially if we can afford a more comfortable commute.

Agree that once the metro comes in, things would change for better.
We'll discuss again then. Till that time, I'd rather drive.

You do make a fair point, and the logic behind the crumpled and sweaty shirts is irrefutable. I'm particularly focussing on the carpooling aspect of my comment, which may be easily followed with some planning at the users end. My office is at the farthest corner of Thane, so I totally understand what you go through. But someone who might take an MUV by themselves from, say Ghansoli to Vashi (that are well connected by both road and rail) can definitely plan their commute better.

P.S. The infographic depicts a scenario from Seattle, which I understand, cannot be replicated in our cities as such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4339752)
There is no denying the enormous advantages of an efficient public transport system, but that won't magically take away traffic jams. Look at the bigger cities in China, or even New York. Rush-hour traffic is the same everywhere. I can't think of any metropolitan city worldwide without traffic nightmares.

What good public transportation does is give one a better option to travel.

It definitely won't make the traffic snarls disappear, sir. agree:
And to consider a city like Mumbai, where nearly every possible mode of public transportation is functioning over its capacity. But the least it does it to distribute the commuter flow, that might otherwise all end up in their own vehicles / cabs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwalkr (Post 4339708)
@anurag:s the government should have planned for such scenarios years back

The government think-tank NITI Ayog came up with a horrible idea to limit fossil fuel powered cars. NITI Aayog has proposed implementation of a lottery system for purchase of petrol/diesel cars in India.

Mumbai vehicle count is 32 lakh, which will keep increasing day by day. Is it possible that government implement lottery systems for the car purchase in metro cities?

Team-BHP News :https://www.team-bhp.com/news/niti-a...-car-rationing

Given our climate, it is no wonder why people prefer own transport rather than public. An efficient public transport is just one piece of the puzzle. I believe we need to tackle this problem from a different angle.

Due to the sheer number of people in our country, the decentralisation of businesses/industries should happen at the highest priority. Otherwise, whatever infrastructure is being built, will collapse in no time. Look at the Delhi Metro, when launched it was a very comfortable alternative to taking your car out. Not so anymore. The interchange stations are a nightmare.

We need to move the employment opportunities outside of our metros to tier-2, 3 cities. The SEZ projects could have achieved it, but thanks to the wisdom of our leaders, SEZs are mostly bang in the middle of cities. Nothing achieved out of them, sadly.

Even though we are leading in terms of population, we also have 7th largest country in the world. With many districts having less than 10 people per square km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4340062)
We need to move the employment opportunities outside of our metros to tier-2, 3 cities. The SEZ projects could have achieved it, but thanks to the wisdom of our leaders, SEZs are mostly bang in the middle of cities. Nothing achieved out of them, sadly.

If tier 2 and 3 cities start developing, why would people flock to metros and drown in debt paying off house loans, surrendering their earnings to politicians who own the land. There is absolutely nothing stopping industries from moving to smaller cities but for the greed of politicians. I wonder why 9 to 5 working IT professionals need to work out of a metropolitan city in India when they actually serve clients sitting in some other continent. Can't IT companies work equally well based out of some tier 2 or 3 cities?

32 lakh vehicles is not really that big a number - we have a big traffic problem though because of the combination of the unique topography of Mumbai and complete lack of foresight and execution on the part of the government and the local corporation.

All the projects that we are now talking about ( Coastal road, MTHL ,the metro lines, the 2nd airport, etc ) should have already been up and running by now and we should have had been talking about connecting the satellite towns ( Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Ulwe, Ambernath, etc ) with the core of the city via high-speed rail corridors, signal free corridors.

The unique topography of Mumbai does add to the complexity as well ( not just water on 3 sides but we have a huge forest right in the middle of the city, we have salt pans, we have mountains, etc ) so we need some creativity and innovation in getting around this problem. I have heard about a tunnel underneath the SGNP but i dont see that happening in my lifetime.

We have a long way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4340062)
Given our climate, it is no wonder why people prefer own transport rather than public. An efficient public transport is just one piece of the puzzle. I believe we need to tackle this problem from a different angle.

Due to the sheer number of people in our country, the decentralisation of businesses/industries should happen at the highest priority. Otherwise, whatever infrastructure is being built, will collapse in no time. Look at the Delhi Metro, when launched it was a very comfortable alternative to taking your car out. Not so anymore. The interchange stations are a nightmare.

Even though we are leading in terms of population, we also have 7th largest country in the world. With many districts having less than 10 people per square km.

Exactly my thoughts. The mess in India created because we got concentrated development in the cities. With this much concentration, it is really difficult to address this mess with only public transport.

Decentralization is the solution for many problems like stressed infrastructure, stressed drinking water resources, non affordable housing, stressed public sentiments, stressed living.

But we have bureaucrats and politicians who do not think at all. We have policymakers who do not see in the future. We have dried up villages and small towns and we have overcrowded cities. I think we are heading to failure (or we are already failure), it does not matter whatever pinnacles of success our country touches until we as a society, master art of peaceful and struggle less living.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4339436)
..The total vehicle count in city now stands at 32 lakh and is rising. According to the RTO, close 700 vehicles are being registered daily.

The numbers are not surprising. Government and BMC needs to wake up and think about building the infra to a point where it becomes pointless to drive/own a car. Look at places like London, commute by public transport is so easy that people shun cars by choice. Really nothing to do with Indian psyche or obsession to 'own one's own car'

Most common issues:

Have experiences one or all of above at various points in Mumbai forcing me to buy more and more cars. Have bought 2 in the last 5 years just because it was impossible to get auto/taxi or unsafe for women folk to be at the mercy of autowallahs.

The problem will soon move from just being a time and money issue to health and well being issue where people will be sick just because of sitting in the traffic jam (lung/heart/backbone/knees/joints all will be affected.)

Knowing the powers that be, they will likely just put extra taxes on cars rather than actually building infrastructure. So above may only qualify as a rant.