Team-BHP - Accident on NH-8
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Accident on NH-8 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/19655-accident-nh-8-a.html)

yesterday night my sister-in-law was travelling from jaipur to delhi with her friend & her family when the her friend's brother, who was behind the wheel dozed off near kotputli (20 kms towards jaipur from behror, midway), rajasthan.

the car hit the milestone head on & flipped upside down starting a small fire in the engine compartment. even though the boy was hit the worst (mostly internal injuries) he promptly came out of the car & pulled everybody out of the vehicle.

just at that time a passenger bus passing by stopped & they helped put out the flames. nothing was available so they did it with mud. the car was rolled to upright position before the bus left again.

there were no highway patrols & infact between the time the accident happened (01:00 hrs) & us reaching there (03:30 hrs) there was no help. lucky thing they were carring all the bedding & blankets back from their hostel which kept them warm in the chilly night. also there were no cranes or towing vehicle available so we arranged one from delhi which was driven there to tow the vehicle back.

by gods grace nobody was seriously injured & came out of this ordeal with minor bruises.

guys please make sure u eat light dinner if u have to travel by night. also do keep a first aid kit & cellphone with roaming capabilities whenever u r on highways.

some pictures from the accident :

Gosh that was a gruesome crash. Thank God everyone is safe.

I'm glad that no one is hurt bad!

This is a pretty nasty accident, and despite flipping over at a high speed, the cabin area looks intact.

The Indica has strength.

Superavi

Naveen, that was one scary crash man! I'm glad that everyone came away without serious injuries....the pics suggest a very different story. God was with them I guess....

but i still cant understand how come so many vehicles involved in accidents these days suddenly get engulfed in flames?

Glad to know our friends and relatives have been lucky to have escaped with minor injuries. I think it is important to take frequent breaks while traveling at night to drive away nasty sleep.
Was the front seat passenger was dozing off or unaware of the condition of driver ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveendhyani (Post 338903)
but i still cant understand how come so many vehicles involved in accidents these days suddenly get engulfed in flames?

a crash may involve tearing up of a fuel line or a puncture in the fuel tank, which may result in an eventual fire, in diesels the fuel pressure is much higher so that results in more fuel splashing all over the place.

Cars have a safety feature which in the eventuality of a crash would stop the fuel pump immediately hence containing the fuel in fuel tank which is mostly made of automotive grade ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) plastic thus reducing the risk of a fire.

I guess the indica doesn't have that fuel cut off safety feature.

i'm glad no one is hurt buddy. the picture seem quite nasty!
looks like tata made the cabin quite bulletproof...... hardly any damage to the cabin for a car which rolled over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveendhyani (Post 338903)

agree: i was wonder the same thing! in fact i posted this question in another thread about the hyundai accent bursting into flames after it crashed into a wall.

Quote:

I guess the indica doesn't have that fuel cut off safety feature.
I doubt it, my 2002 petrol v2 indica had a cut off switch.

Drifter

Thats a nasty accident....gud to hear that all people are safe and sound...

@naveen thank god everyone was safe that was one bad accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter (Post 338973)
I doubt it, my 2002 petrol v2 indica had a cut off switch.

Drifter

hi drifter,
Thats great but are u sure on that , because I only recall the fiat palio to have an inertial fuel cut off switch.

OMG !! that was a bad crash !! Glad to know that no one was injured badly.

I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetik (Post 339054)
hi drifter,
Thats great but are u sure on that , because I only recall the fiat palio to have an inertial fuel cut off switch.

Yup, im pretty sure....it was not mentioned in the manual...
After an accident, my car was refusing to start....on calling up tata, they told me to reset the fuel cut-off switch which is located under the carpet below the front passenger seat.

Drifter

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter (Post 339182)
Yup, im pretty sure....it was not mentioned in the manual...
After an accident, my car was refusing to start....on calling up tata, they told me to reset the fuel cut-off switch which is located under the carpet below the front passenger seat.

Drifter

Goo to know, I think its time every car has such a feature. Looking at the number of cars catching fire upon impact, it looks like an absolute requirement.