Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2018, 10:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Someone put sugar in my petrol tank!

First of all as many have said here sugar does not dissolve in petrol, secondly if you have not started the engine the fuel pump has not started, so the sugar is only in your tank, and your fuel lines, injectors and filter does not have any thing except petrol.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 10:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
..The local mechanic was surprisingly calm, he said he's seen many such cases and it's not something to worry about. He too, however, couldn't understand at to why would anyone do such a thing to us. Both suggested the same steps to repair the damage.
The only people who have something to 'gain' after this incident are the mechanics.

So, that should raise alarms.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 14:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Where do you park the car, is there anyone in the neighborhood looking for that spot? or did you have any arguments relating to parking spots or anything in your vicinity?

So your mechanic has done the cleaning and changed the filters, it should be ok to carry on.
No parking fights. I think it would have been easier to puncture tyres in that case.
Yes, I hope it does not create any issues in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
could there be chance that the local mechanic/s be part of this? unless there is some lunatic imbecile out there,or someone is holding a personal grudge on you/your family.

More over you did say that the mechanic has seen many such cases. so yours doesn't seem to be one off case. Do check if there are any CCTV's around the location.

besides, I can understand the sugar part but why also try to add masala? seems like an amateur job to me.
It does sound like a personal grudge, no doubt about that. We *touchwood* don't have any property or parking space related issues, so am not able to determine the exact cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Doubtful that they really tasted anything sweet. As several others have pointed out, sugar does not dissolve in petrol. They must have gotten carried away in the situation.

Or, and forgive me if I'm out of line here, but considering all possibilities, could it be possible that they were also involved in the whole thing? Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The only people who have something to 'gain' after this incident are the mechanics.

So, that should raise alarms.
I agree with what you guys are saying, and that's a very valid concern. My car cleaner and domestic help also independently checked the fuel and found it to be sweet, maybe it was just serious placebo effect.

Regarding the mechanic. The person who I refer, isn't a local mechanic per se, he is owner of a big garage and my dad has known him for some 30 years. The number of cases have been over his 30 years of experience and not recent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
First of all as many have said here sugar does not dissolve in petrol, secondly if you have not started the engine the fuel pump has not started, so the sugar is only in your tank, and your fuel lines, injectors and filter does not have any thing except petrol.

Rahul
We did start the engine. As I mentioned, the incident happened when the car was parked outside my dad's office, however, it was observed when he reached home. Luckily the distance is very less and so the car was running for a small duration.
Old 18th March 2018, 02:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well as far I know sugar will not dissolve in petrol, couple of links on similar topic

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...n-gas-tank.htm

https://www.thoughtco.com/sugar-in-a...eaction-609448

Last edited by tj123 : 18th March 2018 at 02:16. Reason: Added link
Old 18th March 2018, 04:00   #20
BHPian

As everyone has rightly pointed out, sugar doesn't dissolve in petrol. At least not at ambient temperature. So, it would remain in the tank as crystals, and I'm fairly certain that the fuel filter wouldn't allow sugar crystals to pass through. If the sugar does dissolve, and reaches the engine, it can cause catastrophic damage, theoretically. But the dissolving part is a myth, and misconception. Whoever did this, didn't do his homework properly, fortunately, for you.
Even then, this is a serious safety concern. Whoever did this was looking for vengeance, or is mentally ill. Did you check if there were any CCTVs near the parking spot?
Old 18th March 2018, 11:51   #21
BHPian

Reading about such incidences makes me sad. The machines we love so much are not safe. I too have had my fair share of minor vandalism in the form of broken ORVMs, scratches, damaged tyres, but nothing of this sort, fortunately.

This act could be anything, personal grudge, mistaken identity (we've seen some cases recently), drunk vandalism. I hope these sugar masala guys land in a bitter soup very soon.
Old 19th March 2018, 04:41   #22
BHPian

Sand, salt and sugar are all known to be your local car saboteur's favourite weapons. Google search tells that none of these materials can cause damage to modern engines on account of fuel filters doing their job. However, an easily available substance is mentioned as far more damaging. Apparently, plain water when added in sufficiently large quantities can enter engine and can cause significant damage.

Hope rascals who indulge in these sort of activities never know about this information.
IndieGooner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 11:06   #23
BHPian

Re: Someone put sugar in my petrol tank!

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to get things fixed? I believe the costs would be similar if someone adds the wrong fuel by mistake or finds water/ impurities in the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Whoever did this, didn't do his homework properly, fortunately, for you.
Again, out of curiosity, and only theoretically, what is the worst that a miscreant could do?
Old 19th March 2018, 11:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post

Again, out of curiosity, and only theoretically, what is the worst that a miscreant could do?
I didn't post it in the reply, solely due to the fear that someone might read it and get ideas, especially if the guy who actually did this is literate and by some chance, has found this thread. But theoretically, if sugar in it's chemical form gets to the engine, by bypassing all the filters and everything, it can be disastrous.

P.S : Mods, please delete if inappropriate.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 17:58   #25
BHPian

This surely looks like well thought through act of mischief/revenge. Any roadside type of vandalism would have involved breaking the side mirrors, puncturing, scratching the paint etc. But the dedication they showed in opening the fuel lid tells that they hold a deep grudge against you and wanted a serious revenge.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

The amateurs did it wrong. <Snip>removed actual methods<Snip>
I have no clue why they added the masala though. Funny, the thought process of these vandals.

Oh, is there anyone who has a personal vendetta against your dad? Please look hard and please ask him to be careful.

Last edited by govigov : 19th March 2018 at 20:10.
Old 19th March 2018, 21:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have been hearing about such instances since childhood. But happy to know that this is a flop technique

I guess with more connected cars, fuel lid opening should also be connected to door warnings and any misconduct should trigger the alarm.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 08:59   #28
BHPian

My cousin had a similar case a few years ago.

In his case, it was his driver who he had fired. Actually, he was shifting out of the city and had told his driver a month in advance. Funny thing is after the driver left, he called back to check whether the car is running fine (maybe to check whether his trick worked or not).

Rectification was similar to yours though, so I think your local mechanic was pretty much correct in his approach.
Old 20th March 2018, 09:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Technically, Sugar cannot enter engine so easily and quickly because

1. Sugar does not dissolve in Petrol
2. What ever small amount of sugar that get "mixed" with petrol, will get filtered out in the filter

However, there is a possibility that all excess sugar that lies at the bottom of the tank due to crystal weight.(Sugar sinks in petrol) may have passed through the pipe till filter.

So, although possibility of sugar entering the engine is very less, sugar crystals getting accumulated within the pipe is definitely there.

I did not see you mentioning that pipes were removed and cleaned. (Or probably, I missed). So, suggest to check all the pipes once and clean them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
Apparently, plain water when added in sufficiently large quantities can enter engine and can cause significant damage.

Hope rascals who indulge in these sort of activities never know about this information.
Super point. But, seriously, I think, this idea is very dangerous and should not be put in social media. I humbly request mods to delete this post. (Nothing against the author. But, if people get educated wrongly from this post, this can be disaster and wallet burner for all of car owners.)

Last edited by gkveda : 20th March 2018 at 09:43.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 11:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post

Super point. But, seriously, I think, this idea is very dangerous and should not be put in social media. I humbly request mods to delete this post. (Nothing against the author. But, if people get educated wrongly from this post, this can be disaster and wallet burner for all of car owners.)
Exactly why I didn't mention it in my post. This information can be disastrous in the wrong hands. I second your request to the mods - Please delete this post.

Most Viewed