Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 12:48   #31

Re: Someone put sugar in my petrol tank!

The direction our society is moving is really disheartening. Earlier, at least 5-6 years back, disputes would result in a few harsh words and then moving on with ones life. But now it is being taken to a complete new level of personal vengeance.

I've had my car's windshield wiper twisted, for God knows what reason, side mirrors damaged and the good old scratches on the car. I really cant understand what the miscreant gets out of all this! And since all this is done when no one is around, one can only say for certain that it is pre-planned and when it is pre-planned, it makes me wonder how one can carry such hatred for so long! and at the same time feel sorry that the miscreant has nothing better to do in life except to fill his/her life's void with such hatred!!
Old 20th March 2018, 15:02   #32
BHPian

I too feel you must file a complaint at the local police station because 1. They would be aware of cases of such vandalism and they could inform all police stations in the area as it is definitely the work of locals maybe a perverted gang or an individual, I am sure any cctv footage of where your Dad had parked his car might give a clue and 2. It could prevent such an incident to another car owner, the sugar crystals could have been a light up match stick!!! Thank God the damage was minimal.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 00:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Whoever did this, didn't do his homework properly, fortunately, for you.
Even then, this is a serious safety concern. Whoever did this was looking for vengeance, or is mentally ill. Did you check if there were any CCTVs near the parking spot?
Yeah, you can't imagine how relieved I was when I got to know it's a myth. :P
This happened at around 10pm, so I wonder anything would be caught in the CCTV cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche2409 View Post
This act could be anything, personal grudge, mistaken identity (we've seen some cases recently), drunk vandalism. I hope these sugar masala guys land in a bitter soup very soon.
I was taking to be a case of personal vendetta, however mistaken identity is a possible cause that I hadn't thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The amateurs did it wrong.
I have no clue why they added the masala though. Funny, the thought process of these vandals.

Oh, is there anyone who has a personal vendetta against your dad? Please look hard and please ask him to be careful.
I have no idea, I guess they just decided to put whatever they could get their hands on, hoping that something or other will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have been hearing about such instances since childhood. But happy to know that this is a flop technique

I guess with more connected cars, fuel lid opening should also be connected to door warnings and any misconduct should trigger the alarm.
That's a great idea. I don't think auto manufacturers are not aware about such low-life incidents that take place in India. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekatkar31 View Post
My cousin had a similar case a few years ago.

In his case, it was his driver who he had fired. Actually, he was shifting out of the city and had told his driver a month in advance. Funny thing is after the driver left, he called back to check whether the car is running fine (maybe to check whether his trick worked or not).

Rectification was similar to yours though, so I think your local mechanic was pretty much correct in his approach.
Someone known and trust doing this is even worst. This is betrayal. I don't mean to generalize, but I guess this speaks a bit about the mentality of the lower income people.

How was it diagnosed? (since he would not have left any hints)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I did not see you mentioning that pipes were removed and cleaned. (Or probably, I missed). So, suggest to check all the pipes once and clean them.
By pipes do you mean Fuel pipe? Yes, that was cleaned. If you mean something else, please tell, I'll check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
I too feel you must file a complaint at the local police station.
I did file a complaint. The officer too was shocked, he said if someone wants to fight they should have the guts to fight on the face. But that's it. I don't think any action will be taken or investigation done, they have bigger issues to handle.
Old 21st March 2018, 08:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post

Someone known and trust doing this is even worst. This is betrayal. I don't mean to generalize, but I guess this speaks a bit about the mentality of the lower income people.

How was it diagnosed? (since he would not have left any hints)
The repair was done at company A.S.S, (it was a bmw), and the engineer said that this typically the work of a driver... and since he had called back, we put two and two together. He, in fact gloated about it when confronted on the phone (sadistic tendencies).
Old 23rd March 2018, 08:46   #35
BHPian

Whoa! Definitely not idle minds...

Little OT:
Even in Frederick Forsyths novel "Fist of God", Bedou, puts 20 lumps of sugar in gas tank. His research was supposed to be quite accurate...but then!

".....Which have petrol caps,” said the Bedou, “which come off with a quick twist. Sugar lumps—twenty lumps per petrol tank. It dissolves in the petrol, passes through the carburetor, and turns to hard caramel in the heat of the engine. It destroys the engine. Be careful not to be caught. Work in pairs and after dark. One keeps watch, the other slips in the sugar. Replace the petrol cap. It takes ten seconds......"

He was actually a spy.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd March 2018 at 08:52.
Old 25th March 2018, 15:19   #36
BHPian

There are three reasons someone might have done this -
1. Case of personal enmity .
2. The vandal is the kind of person who has a disdain for "rich people " and hence targets cars like Honda city which is generally associated with upper class in our country . I have read about similar cases in past and my father has been on the receiving end of the same many years back when an unemployed chap smashed our indica's rear glass panel . When caught , he said he got triggered by my father's "ego" - whatever that means . It was not a case of personal enmity as such ...
3.Those suggesting the mechanic might be involved also have a point - it is fairly well known that tyre puncture guys spread nails on the stretch of road near their joint for customers so there is a precedent of mechanics/said class resorting to such tricks . My ktm duke 390 suffered 7 puncture in first 3 months itself before I realised that 4 of them had happened on a road where there were half a dozen puncture joint - the rear tyre has been permanently damaged and I lose 2-3 psi every night requiring regular refill .

The vandal is a moron though , if he really wanted to damage the car , he should have poured in water or kerosene instead of something that will be contained by the fuel filter .

Last edited by basuroy : 25th March 2018 at 15:31.
Old 25th March 2018, 15:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

If any member of your family is a teacher it could be a student who was recently reprimanded. This had happened to one of our school teachers scooter. The culprit was easily caught.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks