Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Positive aspects of Indian Roads

For me the greatest plus of Indian roads is helpful and people with a good heart. I have been in an accident many years ago and I have experienced how people who didn't know me, helped us. I think it is the kindness of people which sets us apart from other nations.
Thanks to all the kind hearted and helpful souls.
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

The way signages change their language, with the corresponding State's registration plates on surrounding traffic just gives a feeling of successful completion of a milestone.

Ability and freedom to stop by the roadside in general (this excludes no-stopping zones likes express highways and only if done in a responsible manner well off the shoulder) not only to indulge in a picture, but also to relieve unfortunate folks of their travel sickness

Weather permits in most cases to drive with the windows down at will

Finally, enough amusing sights to regularly contribute to whacky modifications thread!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:41   #33
BHPian

I drive 140 km daily covering 3 cities/States:
Greater Noida(Home) - Delhi - Gurgaon(work)
UP - Delhi - Haryana

I encounter all kind of roads, vehicles & people possible,
Be it one-ways, highways, expressways, under-construction roads,
Rickety rickshaws, altos to audis, 16-wheelers & what not.
swanky urban class to your average joe, I encounter them all.

My parents were concerned that I may fall asleep sometime due to fatigue,
but being a big-time petrolhead (diesel),
I look forward to the drive daily (except saturdays, lol)

I do appreciate the properly lit roads,
traffic police's assistance in peak hours traffic,
working red lights,
and cleanliness at most of the patches that I encounter.

P.S. Please suggest a good carpooling service, sometimes it helps to have a partner.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

The best part about our roads is the fact that a certain route brings brand new surprises every single time!

1) Driving to college is never boring! It's always exciting and there's always something to look forward to! You'll never know how people react on the road and that element of surprise is sweet!

2) I look forward to drive to Kerala every few months! It's a completely different experience every single time despite taking the same old route!

3) The road less traveled! It holds the maximum amount of surprises! The scenery is something to die for! As for the food? These places will serve amazing food for dirt cheap!

4) The freedom to maintain speeds you're comfortable with. Can't imagine living anywhere else other than Germany!
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:52   #35
BHPian

The ability to pee whenever the nature calls. Not having to stop at a gas station and ask for the WC keys which you won't get unless you buy some stuff. Spending a few Euros/Dollars just to pee is crazy expensive for budget road trips!
bordeaux is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 23:22   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

1. food - eat from - low budget , middling, gourmet restaurants. The taste changes every 50km
2. pee - into - bush, closed shop wall, ditch , and experience the fresh air intake instead of bathroom air intake , while discharging, anytime, anywhere
3. honk - ask for 'side' from the truck, vent out at the irritant boy racer, acknowledge the kind trucker whom you were tailgating to avoid the perils of a bad single lane road in the night - all are allowed and accepted.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:12   #37
BHPian

Really nice thread!

The diversity of trees that line smaller roads and by-lanes is another aspect I like.

How about the variety of fragrant flower trees that add flavor to a late evening stroll? I particularly remember a tamarind tree that was en route to my school

Also the variety of hawkers and their shouts and calls (that can only be deciphered when you see what's on their carts
AVIS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 09:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

One thing that fascinates me about the Indian roads is experience that it gives, both in terms of road quality, driving manner as well as the scenic beauty that changes quite frequently and I admire it.

I am from Delhi and within say 4 hours of drive, I am in hills with experience of driving on City roads, National highways, Himalayan expressway, State highways and even Village roads. And its not just driving, its finding sellers at stop signals, roadside dhabhas, Juice stalls (Malta Juice), honey sellers, wine shops and what not; And the drivers on roads, keep me cautious and busy all the time. And once in hills, those chole kulche at every turn in ghat with monkeys around you and if you are lucky, the Kalka Shimla train crossing you while you are enjoying your meal on the roadside.

The sum and substance is "Indian Highways are never boring" except may be National Expressway (NE1) - Ahmedabad to Vadodara

Last edited by i74js : 23rd March 2018 at 09:42.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:09   #39
BHPian

One thing I like about riding a two wheeler in cities in our country is that I don't have to stop anywhere (wait a minute). Of course, at the red lights but I don't have to stuck in the jams like a four wheeler, I can make my way around the stuck cars and go in the by lanes. Especially true about the tier II cities.

And second is the smile that comes on one's face, when we actually see people following rules, flashing indicators, giving right of way, etc. You can't enjoy this feeling in the western more developed countries as it's the norm there but it sticks out in India.
raj.singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 13:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice topic. Ok, I've driven in Europe apart from India. I love the Autobahns and driving in Europe, and I hate our roads. But there are so many things to love about Indian roads too. Some of the points that I could think of...
1. No GPS needed
Although I love gadgets, I stay away from GPS. Asking directions to locals, many times in languages unknown is an experience second to none. Sometimes getting lost due to a guy giving wrong directions, just to have fun with us This is real adventure!
2. Open it up
I hate AC. Roll down the windows, have some wind in your face, enjoy the countryside. With bearable temperatures most of the year, I can do this almost always. In Europe, even summer is very cold for me and I'm forced to close all windows.
3. Help is always around
On 2 different occasions, my wife and my sister were stuck in some area in the city without any idea what happened to their scooters which just broke down. People came to help, started the vehicle and they were ready to go again. We have seen so many accidents on our highways, unknown people rush to help you and many times save lives
4. Shopping on the Go
From earbuds to toys, to vegetables, to Cleaning clothes, to refreshments just open the window at a signal, and you have it all.
5. Pitstop options
Nowhere else will we get so many pitstop options. From VFM Dhabhas to premium restaurants, we get whatever we desire
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

• One more thing that I like about our country is unlike US (the only other country I have experience of driving around), there are no vast swathes of absolute nothingness on our roads. You always encounter something, a roadside shack, a small farmhouse, people walking, waiting , a bus stop, something, atleast every 10 minutes or so.
  • I also love how when you ask for directions to small town folk, their sense of proportion is sometimes so out of tune with yours. Their "To catch the highway, you take a right from the dairy which is right up ahead", with the whole body language indicating that it might be only 10-15 feet away, when infact it might be several kilometers before you actually encounter such a dairy. We have also had enthusiastic people as someone said, to come along with you or ride alongside you, all the way to your destination! Hardly something which you encounter in cities, this.
sajo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 17:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Needless to say, even today, I really don't mind waiting for anyone for hours together right beside the road and watch the traffic in variety pass - I notice, I admire, I get amused, I am dumbfounded but then, this is what is road all about!
I thought I was the only one of that kind.
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 17:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
... even today, I really don't mind waiting for anyone for hours together right beside the road and watch the traffic in variety pass - I notice, I admire, I get amused, I am dumbfounded but then, this is what is road all about! ...
Although now-a-days I can't afford to spend hours like this. I did spent hours waiting like this in 80s & 90s when we have no gadgets in hand to immerse ourselves. Waiting at a busy intersection is far more interesting than waiting in a restaurant, bending down on the phone!

We always derive happiness by watching a flow. Watching a river or rather a stream gives a subtle happiness in our minds. A busy road is much more amusing, we get to see various types of objects, people go along with the flow!

And the roads are vastly improved now. Particularly the rural roads. I find the 4-track roads a little boring. When I drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore - taking the short cut before Omalur (Salem) to reach near Erode - via Mettur Dam on two lanes is much more satisfying - it's not a time saver actually.

Three months back, visited a remote village after 25 years. Bikes & even couple of latest cars are parked near houses. Gone are the days when kids ran behind the rare automobile that ambles down & swaying over the big pot holes to their place.
viggienomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 19:23   #44
BANNED

I have quite less of the foreign roads driving experience except a few kilometers in Michigan, a few in Milan, a few in Singapore and a couple of kilometers in Bangkok; summing up everything in one line "Driving on Indian roads is entertaining"
  • No speed limits - you can be fastest on the road as well as the slowest; nobody will bother.
  • Speeding on highway? Cop waves to stop and you don't. Will he follow? No, because before he could catch up, you will be in the jurisdiction area of the next police thana
  • Not willing to pay toll at a toll plaza in midnight? Just stop the car and have some gossip with the guy, he will either let you pass or take his share of 'chai-paani' and let you go
  • Toll plazas without a barrier!! (The one on NH 8 next to Gurgaon, the last lane while going to Jaipur has no barrier and second last extended lane while coming to Gurgaon has a short barrier and I always pass without paying any toll by simply driving avoiding the closed barrier)
  • Pee, let me sound like a sexist but you can actually enjoy being a man on Indian highways; just get out at the best looking place and enjoy the serene air
  • Roadside dhabas are the best part about India; I have many 'rich' (so called ones too) friends who are very particular when it comes to eating, but roadside dhabas is what makes Indian highways special; especially in Punjab
  • The cop has taken a lift on your bike and when you are waved to stop on the next signal; the cop at your back waves the other cop to put down his waving hand
  • People serving roohafza drink on the highways during summer (Especially in UP, Haryana and Punjab) to every passerby on a national highway. The traffic will slow down, but nobody will complain and the cops standing hardly 100 meters away wont bother
  • Baraats; how can you miss the buggy carrying the groom and his dancing relatives on the roads when it's the wedding season!
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 14:47   #45
BHPian

Two things that you would seriously miss abroad. We take this for granted here in India.

1. I don’t have to get off my car to fill gas.

2. I don’t have to fill air in my car tyres all by myself. Try doing that in cold winter and you would realise what a boon it is over here to have this service for free. Not just that, they clean your windshield as well.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks