Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 15:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Positive aspects of Indian Roads

First of all thanks to Sajo for taking this topic out for discussion. I am driving four wheeler from 8 years and have seen most of the construction on NH3 (Mumbai-Nashik) and NH60 (Pune-Nashik). Have done triangular journeys as well (Pune-Nashik-Padgha-Kalyan-Taloja-Kalamboli-Eway-Pune). Agreed that my experience is less than even new bhpians but this route (NH4-NH3-NH60) sees huge traffic volume daily.

Following are my observations in these 8 years:
- Roads have widened a lot. Authorities are trying to give us more space to drive. Rising vehicle numbers is the only concern.
- Road discipline is on the rise, although by smaller percentage but it is increasing. I see trucks as quite disciplined, they drive right besides the divider and consistently
- Many middle class homes can afford a car now and since they buy it on loan they tend to carefully drive it on road. You can identify such people easily. These people are usually most disciplined.
- Increase in no. of users wearing helmets and seat belts. Lot of awareness now. Even kids know helmet is required.
- More and more people follow signals and stop behind zebra crossings. Increase in % is small but numbers are increasing

We still need to improve in areas like
- Wrong side driving
- Triple seat / Quadruple seats
- Illegal taxis with white number plates
- Lane cutters (they are like monsters)
- Pedestrians with to cross or not to cross mindsets
- Jaywalkers

Still I believe that our roads are better if we keep our eyes open, drive within speed limits and stay away from road rage.
turbodude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 11:25   #47
BHPian

Wow! What a thread!!

Thank you! Thank you!!

I find that many people have repeatedly presented the same points over and over again. AND STILL - the points are mainly right. I would not like to repeat the points, but.... please forgive me for my 2 cents:

A couple of anecdotes:

My late grandfather had been transferred from his British Govt job in Pune to Ahmednagar for some time. Then he was transferred back. I ashed my late father how long it took them to travel from Ahmednagar to Pune in the British era? He was not sure - but he felt it took them 2.5 days by bullock cart! This when we had just come back from our visit to the Tank Museum. We had done the 125 km to and fro in 2.5 hrs each side!

I have done Pune Mumbai in my erstwhile Maruti OmniE in 1999 during a truck strike in 2.5 hrs. While in Mumbai the strike got called off. I did Mumbai Pune in 6 hours!

Once when I was taking 2 US friends to Aurangabad, Ajanta-Ellora, etc, the taxi drive was not sure of the 'exact' road. So, we stopped and asked. We stopped near a Masjid. There was a free newspaper stand there. A handful of people came to help us. They actually had a 'conference' and unanimously told us to take the straight route and turn left 1 km later. I was extremely curious about the 'conference' and asked them. I was told that we could go left at this crossing only, but the route was through a congested village and would take time. Similarly, we could take the right and take two left turns. This was actually the 'best' route and normally fastest. However, just a few days ago some PWD work had commenced and they felt it would take us longer! WOW! After thanking them profusely, we went ahead. Now, the Americans were extremely curious about the lengthy discussion. I had to explain everything. They were SHOCKED! They were confident that their own city folk would have preferred to say 'don't know'.

On a similar trip but with different friends, I could show my friends cows, buffaloes, dogs, cats, camels, elephants, etc on the highway. The camel guys were willing to give a 'paid ride'. My friends got scared!!

I use some 'judgement' and selectively give lift to strangers. I could write a 250 page book on the experiences. I can say that I never got into trouble (Thank GOD!). But one or two are worth mentioning here.

Once I gave a lift to a police constable who was just back from a Naxalite area posting. He was well educated, cultured and extremely mature. I wish I had asked him for his contact details!

Once on the Mumbai Pune Expressway, near Sinhagad Institute, during Daserra, I saw a group of people asking for a lift. The leader seemed to be a lady in a posh festival sari. I stopped. They were all teachers at the Institute and their bus has broken down. I took them in. During conversation, it came out that her brother was a best friend of my second cousin! It's a small world after all!!

I guess I better stop before my 2 cents run out!!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 12:23   #48
BHPian

Wonderful thread!!!

From my experience, I feel the below are some of the positive aspects of indian roads.

1. Google Maps Proof - asking the direction to the road side vendors or autowallahs will take you to your destination faster than the Google maps, especially true inside the city.

2. Good Quality roads and 4/6 lane highways have almost halved the time taken for inter-city travels, when compared to past few decades.

3. Good bye drowsiness - with the amount of traffic and variety of situations you face while driving, you will never feel drowsy while driving. The traffic will always keep us busy and alert and your anticipatory skills would sharpen with every drive.

4. Recent increase in the Car Pooling - I have a wide circle of friends now and the drive to office is now never boring to say the least.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 12:46   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting thread. Many of you guys have pointed out what I wanted to comment and have shared my thoughts. Just sharing my experiences here:

1) Helpful passerby - In many situations when the GPS failed to find a route, I always manage to find a passerby willing to go that extra mile to help us. Even happened during the wee hours of our travel.

2) Food - This is the best part of traveling here. No matter if it's an open highway, deserted ghat roads, you manage to find a road side hotel and some of these are super delicious (amazing experience during our Wayanad trip).

3) Interesting sights- Highway cruising can be boring and the most boring road that I usually take is the Cochin-Bangalore highway. It tends to get boring and deserted right after Salem. But every now and then you tend to find some interesting sights like car scoops (new cars being tested), interesting rash drivers trying out insane stunts, trucks on the wrong lane etc. You are always alert even though it tends to get boring.

Few things that can be improved:
1) Even though the roads are really wide, there are many roads that are still struggling to cater today's traffic.
2) Lane discipline - Hate when truckers occupy the fast lane. Even though you find numerous sign boards along the highway, it's still a major pain while driving.
3) Honking - Although it's a necessity here in India, we find many taking this to the next level. Unnecessary in many situations.

Almost all of my drives happen in South India (even though I have experienced some in N.India and abroad), I just love the roads here and I hope to see many roads like this in the future. There are still many hidden gems like this to be explored. Some of the wonderful roads that I have taken in the last few years:

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0027.jpg

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0066-2.jpg

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0174.jpg

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0254.jpg

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0073-2.jpg

Positive aspects of Indian Roads-dsc_0007.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 18:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

I'd just like to add for the benefit of all those claiming that driving in US is boring. Well, if you stick to the interstates, then yes. But there is a whole network of highways and state roads that you can take instead of the interstate freeways. Those highways are very scenic and littered with small towns that offer some mouthwatering local cuisines and delicious little cafes.
On our annual fall trips, we usually take the interstate to get to our destination, because usually it's evening time and we want to get to our rented home as soon as possible. But on the way back, we don't even touch the interstates. We take the highways and state routes, have lunch at a small town or bakery, coffee at a cafe etc etc. and just take in the scenery as we head back.

So, next time you are on the east coast and are planning a road trip, let me know! I will save you from the boring, mind numbing interstates
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 19:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I'd just like to add for the benefit of all those claiming that driving in US is boring. Well, if you stick to the interstates, then yes. But there is a whole network of highways and state roads that you can take instead of the interstate freeways. Those highways are very scenic and littered with small towns that offer some mouthwatering local cuisines and delicious little cafes.
On our annual fall trips, we usually take the interstate to get to our destination, because usually it's evening time and we want to get to our rented home as soon as possible. But on the way back, we don't even touch the interstates. We take the highways and state routes, have lunch at a small town or bakery, coffee at a cafe etc etc. and just take in the scenery as we head back.

So, next time you are on the east coast and are planning a road trip, let me know! I will save you from the boring, mind numbing interstates
So says the man from New Hampshire, the scenic state. But of course!

I agree that people from NH, Vermont, Upstate New York and other states lining the Rocky Mountains all have scenic tales to speak of. And yes, driving in interior scenic roads has a charm all its own in the US.

My main beef with driving on the interstates in the US was with the excessive amount of rules, sign-boards and other painted signages to keep track of - barring which, you could very well see a well-lit up rearview mirror with blue and red. I constantly had to keep tabs on the speedometer (+/- 5 mph with the speed limit) in Connecticut.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed