Team-BHP - How to get an LMV-TR (Transporters) Driving License
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   How to get an LMV-TR (Transporters) Driving License (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/197711-how-get-lmv-tr-transporters-driving-license.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4384697)
Not sure, but should not your 4 wheeler driving license be valid to drive a Ola/Uber? You can get penalized for not wearing uniform though. I thought the commercial license is only for Trucks/Buses.

This is partially correct. Taxi drivers have LMV license + badge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom (Post 4384710)
Taxi/Cab needs a "transporters license" LMV license. You can't drive a yellow board LMV with the standard license.

Yes. In case of other commercial cars, you need the LMV-TR license. Here's mine-
How to get an LMV-TR (Transporters) Driving License-img_3193.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by avdhesh15 (Post 4384752)
OT, but what are the requirements in getting this license? I have also driven during an outstation trip when the driver fell asleep on the expressway! Would be a good thing to keep handy considering the ever increasing infiltration of Ola / Uber in our lives.

Here are the requirements:
1. You need to have LMV license for atleast 12 months prior.
2. Approach a driving school for license - (You can't go on your own).
3. You need to be 8th Standard passed.
4. Docs like address proof, photo identity proof etc.

Driving school will apply for Learning license (LL). You might need to goto RTO to sign, but this may or may not happen depending on the RTO. Once you get LL, wait for 30 days before scheduling a driving test. The driving school will assist you again on this. At the test 99% of the times, the officer will just ask you to move front and back and ask for purpose of TR, just mention you are starting a business or something. Since you already have a full license, he won't put you through the full test.

Further, in Maharashtra, you need to show that you know the Local language (Marathi), which again is taken care of by the Driving School. Generally you'll be charged anywhere between Rs. 1,500 to Rs. 3,000 for the same.

Points to Note -
1. If possible also get the yellow card made (just a yellow ID card with your photo and details on the car you can drive)- optional. If the cops want to harass you they'll first ask for uniform.
2. From time to time a particular RTO may stop issuing LMV TR licenses if they feel there are too many drivers out there. Just confirm before you apply.
3. This will be not applying for a fresh license but endorsement of additional class on you license. You'll be asked to submit your current license and you'll get the new one after test in 30 days. Meanwhile you can drive your car, but keep the RTO fee receipt handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4384766)

Driving school will apply for Learning license (LL). You might need to goto RTO to sign, but this may or may not happen depending on the RTO. Once you get LL, wait for 30 days before scheduling a driving test. The driving school will assist you again on this. At the test 99% of the times, the officer will just ask you to move front and back and ask for purpose of TR, just mention you are starting a business or something. Since you already have a full license, he won't put you through the full test

Thanks for sharing this detailed info. And from what little I know, the commercial license has to be renewed every 3 years, at least this is what I recall, so do bear this as well.

Thanks for sharing Blackwasp! Copying your posts to a new thread so it's easy to find. Here's the Uber thread where it originated.

Thanks for the information. Two questions:

1. Will this Transporters license have any effect at the time of insurance claim for personal vehicle?
2. Does it have to be renewed periodically (other than the usual 20 year renewal)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4385366)
1. Will this Transporters license have any effect at the time of insurance claim for personal vehicle?
2. Does it have to be renewed periodically (other than the usual 20 year renewal)?

1) Insurance policies ask that the person who was driving the car be licensed to drive that specific category of car. If the vehicle in question was a pvt car, then your licence would cover it. Similarly for a insurance situation involving a commercial vehicle, then that part of the license would be applicable.

2) Renewal : @Sheel has answered your question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4385366)

No.

Quote:

If you observe the Valid till dates, you will notice that the TR license has a validity of 3 years only. It needs to be renewed before that, though thankfully renewal can be done without the need for any Driving Schools.

Here is a complete description of the procedure for getting driver's licence for transport vehicle along with badge number.

Source: www.nationalskillindiamission.in

Since I have an LMV-TR (Transporters) license, will like to share my experience. I never intended to get a Transporter's license by since my driving school had a Mahindra for actual test ended up with getting an LMV-TR. Do not know if it's a good thing or bad thing, but surely have the hassle to renew it via an agent, I am tired of this reissue thing since I don't drive a TR vehicle. Add to that I never gave my G in Canada though eligible for it and my Canadian G2 has expired.
My license is up for renewal, any advise if I should go for a new LMV non TR license.
Attached is the pic of license with reissue dates.

From my experience LMV-TR is Money making scam by Driving school as repeat business for them. If one needs a TR license then, the only eligibility is the vehicle in which you perform your Drive test which should be a transport vehicle.

How to get an LMV-TR (Transporters) Driving License-img_20180412_202714.jpg

I was interested in this when I saw the post as I have had this dream of moonlighting as a Uber/Ola/Cab driver as a hobby.

But renewing every 3 years is definitely a pain which I would avoid if I can. Knowing the RTO around these parts, that's going to involve greasing their palms every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4385379)
It needs to be renewed before that, though thankfully renewal can be done without the need for any Driving Schools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 4385457)
Since I have an LMV-TR (Transporters) license, will like to share my experience. I never intended to get a Transporter's license by since my driving school had a Mahindra for actual test ended up with getting an LMV-TR. Do not know if it's a good thing or bad thing, but surely have the hassle to renew it via an agent, I am tired of this reissue thing since I don't drive a TR vehicle.

There is a contradiction in the points here - about renewal process. So which is correct ?>

@ritz3645, if you dont have a transport vehicle, then why retain the TR part of the licence ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4385822)
There is a contradiction in the points here - about renewal process. So which is correct ?>

Let me clarify-
1. You can get a normal license yourself. However, some prefer to get the help of agents or driving schools to get it done.

2. Incase of TR, for the first time you need to go though a driving school only. For subsequent renewals, you can go on your own or take help of the agents.

Note, Driving School and an agent are not the same. The Driving school is needed because they have to issue 2 certificates to the RTO saying that you have been told about the road signs as well as the practical and theoretical knowledge of driving a vehicle and issue the local language certificate.

OT- ritz3645 has only the TR license which should not have been issued to him in the first place. Was this because of this?

Quote:

For more than 20 years, regional transport offices across Maharashtra have been issuing transport licences to drivers of public transport vehicles such as autos, mini buses and tourist taxis, in violation of their own rule.

The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, requires all applicants for the transport category licence to have a year’s experience before they are issued a licence. RTOs, unaware of this until a week ago, have been issuing the licences for transport category light motor vehicles and 3-wheelers, to people who only held a valid learner’s licence.

The rule asking for a year’s experience was introduced in the Act through an amendment to a section in 1994. However, the RTOs had not adopted it.

The blunder came to light after the transport department implemented an online system in December for appointments to apply for all licences. As the system is programmed to only accept those applications that comply with the rules, many people were unable to go through with the process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4385822)

@ritz3645, if you dont have a transport vehicle, then why retain the TR part of the licence ?

I went for an LMV license via driving school and got TR. Using an agent I renewed my license for NT/ Non Transport valid until 2019. My TR is lapsed. It can be only renewed within five years of lapsing. Never thought of renewal as three year periodical drill is tough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4385829)
this[/url]?

I got a TR maybe because I went via a Driving School. My application had the stamp initial of the school. Trouble is renewals on both sides TR and NT. I got only NT renewed by an agent, which is again up for renewal in 2019.

I do miss having a straight 20 year LMV licence.

Any guidance on getting the license for Tractor? Also is there a special process/rules to get the license for tractors with Trailer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4385341)
In case of other commercial cars, you need the LMV-TR license. Here's mine-

Centre has issued advisory to all the state transport departments on 16th April, 2018 that Commercial driving license is not required for driving Taxi, Bike and 3 Wheeler even for commercial purposes.

The details can be found in this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4387324

Commercial driving licence not needed for taxis, autos

Excerpts from the article:

Quote:

The government has done away with the requirement of a commercial licence for driving taxis, three wheelers, e-rickshaws and two-wheelers (food delivery etc), allowing drivers to use their private licences for the same. However, the mandate for a commercial driving licence remains in force for trucks, buses and other heavy commercial vehicles.

Till recently, getting a commercial licence was necessary to drive any transport vehicle. Usually, people needed to wait for one year to get the commercial licence after obtaining a private driving licence. “This will end a lot of corruption involved in obtaining transport or commercial licences. The states must also do away with issuing badges for those driving commercial vehicles,” said a ministry official.
Source:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63822859.cms