Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 19:24   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The expressway is not up and running on Google Maps. Sohna to Dausa, it is still showing the old highway routes - NH48 through Manesar, Behror, Kotputli and the old direct route via Alwar. No expressway.
Yes, pretty strange, as in the past, Google would show such highways even if there were closures. Same for Apple Maps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5336373 (The mega "Road Updates" thread)

Some updates on Twitter - skip to 3 sec onwards

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1jM...194378043.html
Old 13th February 2023, 08:18   #47
BHPian

Google maps is now showing the expressway from Sohna all the way to across the MP border in Dahod, Gujarat. But not routing any traffic for now. Only a matter of time I suppose.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...g%2F11tj6rfsb2

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-mumbaidelhiexpresswayroute.jpg
dust-n-bones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 08:24   #48
Team-BHP Support

Yes, it’s updated now. Showing four hours from Sohna to Dausa though. Expressway is getting open for public from Tuesday.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th February 2023 at 08:25.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 07:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

12-Feb-2023.

The first stretch of the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway was inaugurated in Dausa, Rajasthan, on Sunday. The Delhi-Dausa-Lalsot section is expected to reduce travel time between Delhi and Jaipur to two hours, while the journey between the national capital and Alwar, Firozpur Jhirka, Rajgarh, and Bandikui will be cut in half.
The first stretch, between Sohna and Dausa, is 246 kilometres long.

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-44761394c4904a8cb743d16c5dd11397.jpeg
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 19:09   #50
BHPian

Delhi-Mumbai Expressway

Starting this thread for BHPians to stay updated on the new Delhi-Mumbai Expressway (Mods, please move as appropriate).

Having to travel to MP frequently from Delhi/NCR, I had been keenly following the progress on the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway. The normal routes I take are via Jaipur-Kota-Jhalawar-Indore/Ujjain or via Agra-Gwalior-Biaora-Bhopal each being roughly 13-14 hrs.

With an upcoming trip towards Feb-end, when i checked google maps, i was pleasantly surprised to see the drive time of ~10hrs though the distance reduced only by 75kms. All news items only talk about the travel time from Delhi to Jaipur getting almost halved however, as per the map, one can go upto outskirts of Kota on the new expressway and then follow the regular route.

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-route.jpg

Have any of you taken the new Expressway? How far can we go as of now and what is the status of utilities, F&B, fuel pumps?
Totoro11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 00:42   #51
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Mumbai Expressway

MODS, if this is not the right place, please remove.

I think the Google map tracks who is going where, whether T-BHP or not. Then, it marks out the expressway.

For the first few days, even the Nagpur-Shirdi section of the Samruddhi expressway was not marked, it is marked now.

Hoping to get it on Google maps as more Google map users use this expressway, to whatever destination.

Maharashtra is lagging in almost all aspects of this expressway development, so I think that at present Google maps may just 'show' the Delhi-Vadodra stretch.

Glass half-full?
Old 15th February 2023, 05:52   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
All news items only talk about the travel time from Delhi to Jaipur getting almost halved however, as per the map, one can go upto outskirts of Kota on the new expressway and then follow the regular route.

It's operational only unto Lalsot though Google is showing it all the way to Kota. Someone will have to drive and find what's status beyond. It's not uncommon to let commuters travel as far as the roads/ interchange are completed. But I won't take that 5 hours or so as a reference while planning my trip that google is showing now. You should be good all the way to Lalsot at least and this won't take more than 2 hours when you enter the highway.

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-screenshot-20230215-5.41.28-am.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
I think the Google map tracks who is going where, whether T-BHP or not. Then, it marks out the expressway.
No, not because people are travelling. Not aware of how they update but there must be some mechanism where authorities provide information with coordinates. Will be interesting to know more though.

Quote:
Hoping to get it on Google maps as more Google map users use this expressway, to whatever destination.
As I checked multiple destinations, New Expressway is now the default route for travelling to Jaipur and beyond. The old Jaipur has been a mess for most of the last two decades. Given the high intensity of the truck traffic we see on this route, I hope authorities train truckers to follow lanes, else this expressway will also become similar to the Jaipur- Kishangarh stretch which was probably one of the earlier expressways. It's not uncommon to see 3 or 4 trucks driving parallel, overtaking each other at varying speeds.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th February 2023 at 05:55.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 17:45   #53
BHPian

Was lucky to have traveled on this expressway from Dausa to Sohna on 13th Feb 2023. Let me begin with some overall details and also the placement of this expressway and what it takes for someone who wants to travel from Jaipur to Delhi or vice versa.

Well, as we all know, this stretch is part of the grander Delhi-Vadodara-Mumbai Expressway christened NE-04 which is slated to be completely operational by March 2023. The sole motive of this expressway is to connect the two metros of Delhi and Mumbai in the shortest possible manner both in terms of distance and time. Hence it is almost a straight line if you plot this on the map. This is one reason it does not get its alignment to pass near any other major city apart from Vadodara which too I reckon is to avoid the Sahyadri ranges and also to supplement the already operational Vadodara Ahmedabad Expressway or NE01 as seen in the map I tried to plot below.

Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-screenshot-20230215-130055.jpg

Now let's talk about the expressway's alignment to Jaipur or the lack of it. Well, for now, it's connected via the Jaipur Agra Highway NH 21 (Old NH 11) near Dausa. This makes it approximately 70 Kms or 1.5 hours away from the Jaipur City Center. There is a separate greenfield spur that will connect the Expressway to Jaipur directly also under works and the contract has already been awarded for the same. This should make access from Jaipur slightly smoother and faster.

New Greenfield spur under works.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-map3.jpg

Coming to my travel, I had plans to start early in the day so as to reach the Dausa intersection by early afternoon but got late and could start only by 3 pm from Jaipur home. Our place is on the outskirts but totally on the opposite end therefore had to cross the entire city from west to east. Thankfully traffic was mild and could touch the Ghat ki Guni Tunnel within 30~40 mins and took another hour to reach Dausa partly thanks to a few interceptors I encountered early on. Not that I tend to overspeed, but the limits are enforced in a manner that it's difficult to keep a tab on the current limit so you end up driving a tad bit slow.

My route from home till Sohna intersection. "National Highway 21" marked on the map is the intersection point near Dausa.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-map2.jpg

On a related note, Highway Traffic police in RJ are always on overdrive with speed cameras and this stretch was no different. You can find one of the highest concentrations of speed cams on the NH 48 stretch of the Delhi Jaipur Highway between Behror and Jaipur. So much so that you will see one interceptor Car or Bike every few kms. But that's a story for another thread.

As I crossed the Dausa bypass, I stopped for a quick tea break as was not sure I would get anything once I am on the expressway. Tea and water loaded, I would rather let the pictures do the talking from here on.

NH 21 near Dausa. Can be spars like this,
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-1.jpg

Or a sudden rush of traffic, two wheelers and otherwise.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-2.jpg

A toll before Dausa.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-3.jpg

First sight of the Expressway once you cross Dausa Bypass
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-4.jpg

Entering the Expressway.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-5.jpg

Tolls collection was not active that day but I hear its started from today.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-6.jpg

First feel of the fresh from the oven...err..furnace tarmac.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-7.jpg

My Jetta stretched its legs after a long long time. My Cruise Control was set to 120 KMPH entirely barring some bursts of speed in between.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-8.jpg

There are rest areas under development which will have multiple restaurants, fuel bunks, service centers et al.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-9.jpg

Lets talk a bit about the surface quality. Well I have driven on some of the worlds best highways (no boasting that is ) from Autobahns to Autostradas. So if Autobahns where even 200kmph feels like 80kmph on the best Indian road surface is rated at 10, I would rate the NE04 somewhere around 7. Comparatively, the surface quality is not very smooth, expansion joints still give jolts and there are undulations which will give cars with soft suspension some scary moments at max speed limit. Having said the above, all the other good roads in India (NE01 Ahmedabad Vadodara, NE02 the EPE, NE03 the Delhi Meerut expressway or even the Mumbai Pune Expressway) can be rated at 5 or at best 6. And the best thing about the surface is that its all Tarmac and not Concrete.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-10.jpg
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-11.jpg

A typical Indian truck driver will still drive on the right most lane even if given a 32 lane carriageway.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-12.jpg

Stopped for a nature's call
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-13.jpg
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-14.jpg

Another break at sunset as I neared the Sohna intersection.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-15.jpg

Just before the Grand Toll Plaza.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-16.jpg

How can we not see this in India
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-17.jpg

The Grand 32 Laned Toll Plaza few kms before Sohna Intersection.
Delhi-Mumbai expressway to reduce travel time by 12 hours-18.jpg

This road merges onto the Gurugram-Sohna Expressway which connects further to Rajiv Chowk. Its another 60 Kms before you hit Delhi which in traffic it can take anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours.

All in all, it took me 1.5 + 2 + 1 = 4.5 hours home to home which is not bad compared to the regular NH48 where it takes anywhere between 4.5 to 7 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions. And not to mention the stress you get from crazy truck drivers, local traffic and last but not the least the huge moon craters that take a bad toll on your vehicle as well.

Hope that gives some perspective to the fellow BHPians. Signing off for now.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th February 2023 at 05:05. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
vinayrathore is offline   (115) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 08:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post

Having to travel to MP frequently from Delhi/NCR, I had been keenly following the progress on the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway. The normal routes I take are via Jaipur-Kota-Jhalawar-Indore/Ujjain or via Agra-Gwalior-Biaora-Bhopal each being roughly 13-14 hrs.
I will also be traveling from Ujjain-Delhi in summers and following progress of DME keeping my fingers crossed. I think apart from the Mukundra Hills tunnel and couple of river overbridges whole route (From Sohna till MP/Guj border) will be fully ready by April. If they open it up and let people detour arouns the inder construction bridge/tunnel through old route, it would be great.

However I don't see that happening. With elections in Rajasthan due in December I suspect the Lalsot-MP stretch might be opened only in Q3.

Which old route would you recommend for Ujjain-Delhi though, via Kota or via Gwalior?
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 09:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
This road merges onto the Gurugram-Sohna Expressway which connects further to Rajiv Chowk. Its another 60 Kms before you hit Delhi which in traffic it can take anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours.
At the KMP interchange, I believe there will be an option to go to Gurugram/IG Airport/West/South Delhi) via the Sohna route you chose.
For east Delhi/Noida/UP bound traffic, the expressway itself will continue towards Faridabad/Ashram via Jevar airport. So interesting times ahead for Delhi commuters.

Quote:
All in all, it took me 1.5 + 2 + 1 = 4.5 hours home to home which is not bad compared to the regular NH48 where it takes anywhere between 4.5 to 7 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions.
These are more real life figures, thank you. Some overenthusiastic media reports claimed that you could now reach Jaipur from Delhi in 2 hours. Sohna-Dausa itself is 200kms on the expressway. Go figure.

Though hopefully the expressway will reduce load on NH48 which is operating way beyond its capacity. If NH48 can be re-positioned as the 'scenic route', it will be a net plus.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 10:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Was lucky to have traveled on this expressway from Dausa to Sohna on 13th Feb 2023. Let me begin with some overall details and also the placement of this expressway and what it takes for someone who wants to travel from Jaipur to Delhi or vice versa.
Thanks for the detailed review. Plan to head to Jaipur myself in a few days. Is there any shortage of operational fuel pumps along the way? And I read only 1 wayside amenity is operational, is this true?
Old 16th February 2023, 16:37   #57
BHPian

This is quite good. Once it will be fully completed, it will be beneficial to not only people travelling to Ahmedabad and Mumbai but also to Pune and beyond.

After it's completion they should focus on Kota Indore Expressway and Indore Hyderabad Expressway. It will be amazing to travel from Hyderabad to Delhi via all these expressways in lot less times.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 17:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One selfish question.

Does anyone know if these expressways will permit motorbikes / two wheelers to ply on them. The Mumbai Pune is the only expressway that ridiculously does not allow this. I really hope so.
I have the same question!

Are 2-wheelers allowed on this Eway? Would be a great help for my upcoming ride to the mountains in September.
Old 16th February 2023, 17:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Thanks for the detailed review. Plan to head to Jaipur myself in a few days. Is there any shortage of operational fuel pumps along the way? And I read only 1 wayside amenity is operational, is this true?
Though there are fuel bunks which looked almost ready and one way side amenity complex just after Alwar exit operational, I would suggest you carry enough fuel for the expressway stretch. Its just a matter of 187 Kms.
vinayrathore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 19:48   #60
YCJ
BHPian

https://twitter.com/TheINIofficial/s...356079104?s=19

https://twitter.com/TheINIofficial/s...830670849?s=19

https://twitter.com/TheINIofficial/s...847644672?s=19

As per these tweets, the Madhya Pradesh sections are also going to be inaugurated soon in the next few months.

Last edited by YCJ : 16th February 2023 at 19:51. Reason: Missed attaching the relevant links
YCJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed