Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 18:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Electric, Meru partner to launch EV taxis in Hyderabad

Mahindra Electric and Meru have announced a collaboration to launch electric vehicles (EV) in Hyderabad. As part of the pilot project, Meru will deploy a fleet of eVerito electric sedans in the city.

Mahindra Electric, Meru partner to launch EV taxis in Hyderabad-mahindra-meru-ev-tieup-picture.jpg

Customers will be able to book the Mahindra eVerito through Meru's mobile app, website or call centre (4422-4422). The cars will also be available at the Meru Zone at the Hyderabad airport. Customers will be charged the same fare as conventional radio cabs.

The company plans to use the learning from this pilot project to introduce EVs in other cities in the future. Over next 4 years, it intends to use EVs as a major part of its fleet.

The Mahindra eVerito electric sedan was launched in June 2016. The car is powered by a 72V, 3-phase electric motor that produces 40 BHP and 91 Nm of torque. It has a claimed top speed of 86 km/h and a range of 110 km. Recharging the battery to 80% takes 1 hour 45 minutes with a fast charger. Mahindra claims that the running cost of an all-electric eVerito is around Rs. 1.15 per km.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 20:36   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Electric, Meru partner to launch EV taxis in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The cars will also be available at the Meru Zone at the Hyderabad airport.

Link to Team-BHP News

I'm a bit surprised and also feel enthusiastic on how this works out. Majority (at least 90%) of Hyderabad's population is 30 - 50 KM away from Airport. So what happens if the Battery runs out on the ORR or somewhere in the middle of nowhere?

There got to be a charging station in at least some places in the city. Otherwise this might end up as a dud.
G V Krishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 09:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Electric, Meru partner to launch EV taxis in Hyderabad

They can partner all they want, but until Mahindra Electric offers a relevant product that is also practical to use, it's going to be a half-hearted effort. The e-Verito is too old, too expensive and has too limited a range to actually work as a cabbie's ride.

See this post for what's happening with the Ola tie-up.

I think Maruti, Hyundai and a third manufacturer (who is that going to be??) are going to ace Mahindra in EVs; Mahindra has really done nothing on its first-mover advantage and that's partly due to its primary obsession with heavy UVs.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Electric, Meru partner to launch EV taxis in Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They can partner all they want, but until Mahindra Electric offers a relevant product that is also practical to use, it's going to be a half-hearted effort. The e-Verito is too old, too expensive and has too limited a range to actually work as a cabbie's ride.

See this post for what's happening with the Ola tie-up.

I think Maruti, Hyundai and a third manufacturer (who is that going to be??) are going to ace Mahindra in EVs; Mahindra has really done nothing on its first-mover advantage and that's partly due to its primary obsession with heavy UVs.
Exactly my thought. Bring out a 250 km car with fast charging (not too much to ask in 2018) then you are all set. These are only good to create hatred of EVs among taxi drivers. I hate every time they call themselves pioneers in EVs while they have made the worst EVs on the planet.
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 12:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra has really done nothing on its first-mover advantage and that's partly due to its primary obsession with heavy UVs.
+1.

I think the present market conditions (with the surging crude price, govt's focus on pure EVs) were an absolute golden chance to introduce it's EV (with a good 200km+ range) to the mass markets.

However, Mahindra's EV dept has not seen any mega breakthrough in India. Probably, it's present focus is on increasing the horses on it's bread and butter vehicles, and e-racing.
I believe as people are gradually moving towards shared mobility, owning a personal EV (as their first/second car) would have an greater appeal, especially for young buyers like me.
Old 25th April 2018, 14:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Electric and Meru have announced a collaboration to launch electric vehicles (EV) in Hyderabad. As part of the pilot project, Meru will deploy a fleet of eVerito electric sedans in the city.

The car is powered by a 72V, 3-phase electric motor that produces 40 BHP and 91 Nm of torque. It has a claimed top speed of 86 km/h and a range of 110 km.

Link to Team-BHP News
The Range is now 140km up from 110kms.
Also the new updated Verito offers Fast Charging Ports from base model (D2).

So even if a customer stays 50kms from the airport, 100kms two way is not an impossible journey.

Also I feel M&M is the only OEM which has been constantly introducing & spreading EVs in the country. We must appreciate that despite global losses made by every OEM on each EV (due to low volumes) they continue to offer models in the affordable category.

Most OEMs would adopt a top - down approach towards EV, however M&M and Tata have made it a bottom up approach.

I really appreciate Mr.Anand Mahindra & Mr.Suresh Babu for revolutionizing the EV space in India.

They do have products in pipeline with higher ranges which we can expect to see on our roads 2018 onwards.
e2O Nxt, e-KUV and 3 new SUV with higher ranges (including Ssangyong S201 based EV SUV)

Most Viewed