Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2006, 08:06   #1
BHPian

Another Tavera Accident - 6 dead

Saw this on today's newspaper. A tavera rammed into a oncoming lorry killing 6 people on board. Accident happened in a southern city of tamilnadu called Ettayapuram (few kilometrers before tuticorin). Van is damaged completely.

This is the third fatal accident that i know of involving Tavera (Isuzu Panter to be precise). First was dhanuskodi athithan's car accident, then the ECR road accident, and now this. Is this something to be worried about? All accidents happened on bright day light, that adds to my worries. Also i am not quite sure about the build quality of Tavera. Did GM do something to isuzu panter before rolling it out to India or are we given in a poor quality stuff.
Old 25th December 2006, 11:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think its fair to generalize an accident rate to a larger vehicle(M800/Omni, I'd have agreed). Extraneous circimstances also need to be factored; such as accident conditions etc. Else even the Qualis is to be considered to be an unsafe vehicle due to the larger number of accidents its involved in
Old 26th December 2006, 10:04   #3
BHPian

yes MAG i thought a lot before making that post. its nor fair to blame a company for the wrong doings of some drivers. but you know what, i couldnt resist thinking in that angle.

when i see an accident i normally think how would i have reacted to that situation (if i were driving it)...and in most cases you will be able to relate to the situation. for example the fiesta 1.6 accident in chennai-blore highway, thats the best the driver could do right? he had to either kill the bike guy or hit the brakes hard. he did the right thing. but in all tavera accidents i couldnt say "yes the driver did the right thing, but its fate such a thing happened". all accidents were on clear day light. in one accident the van rammed against a still lorry. i am not getting that feel somehow...

thats what is forcing me to think was there an element of bad engineering involved in all tavera cases apart from fate.....

may be i am wrong man.
Old 26th December 2006, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Well, haven't heard of Tavera being a dangerous car.
Highway runners like sumo, qualis, tavera, scorpio are mostly leased vehicles with overworked & sleepy drivers doing one trip after another without adequate rest & sleep which could be a reason too.

az
Old 26th December 2006, 12:52   #5
rks
BANNED

The fact is that SUV's are too big to be driven really fast on most of our highways, with rare exceptions like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Some of these cabbies drive these SUVs like maniacs on relatively narrow traffic-filled roads and that is the source of the problem. Some time back I went past a Scorpio cabbie at night almost at the end of the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at high speed (140 ish) in my Santro. I looked in my rear view mirror, and sure enough, he was coming at me at full clip despite heavy traffic on the Expressway. I let him go just as the Expressway ended (for fear that he would smash into me) and in the Panvel-Sion highway, he made a maniacal, but futile attempt to keep me from overtaking him. Due to moderate traffic on this highway, I was able to put more than a few vehicles between him and me. Several other Scorpio/Tavera/Innova cabbies have given me cause for worry with their rash driving on the relatively narrow Pune bypass road (Katraj to Dehu Road stretch) despite the fact that their big vehicles do not stand a chance in moderate to heavy traffic.
Old 29th December 2006, 02:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

about the rash drivers, dunno why we alway treat streets as war zones. lots of ego, and no sense of responsibility i guess. not unique to driving alone.

and about rest of circumstantial points, i guess it will take centuries before we learn (civic sense, respect towards human life and human beings, following rules... )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks