Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 12:32   #1

Multi-level vs Open parking?

My office has a 7 level building for parking, as this is not enough there is also a lot of open space for parking cars. Generally the open parking is full by noon as you can park closer to your building. Also parking in the multilevel takes more time as the lower floors are taken up by early risers.
By the time I reach office I have to park at level 6 or 7. Is it better for the car to drive 7 floors up daily as compared parking it in the open?
This may be a silly question but hoping for some interesting opinions.
sohit15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Multi-level vs Open parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohit15 View Post
My office has a 7 level building for parking, as this is not enough there is also a lot of open space for parking cars. Generally the open parking is full by noon as you can park closer to your building. Also parking in the multilevel takes more time as the lower floors are taken up by early risers.
By the time I reach office I have to park at level 6 or 7. Is it better for the car to drive 7 floors up daily as compared parking it in the open?
This may be a silly question but hoping for some interesting opinions.
My office has open parking as well as 3-level basement parking. Initially, I used to park outside as it was easier and I didn't like going to the basement. Basement seems very claustrophobic and unwelcoming. Parking outside also meant I could have a look at my car every time I stepped out of the building.

However, I realized that my car was getting exposed to sun, dust, rain, leaves, bird droppings and others for hours together. I don't have problem with cleaning as my apartment watchman does it daily. But I felt it was a torture to the car which can be easily avoided. Except for rare few days in a year, I park in B-1 everyday.

Regarding driving up the ramp, I don't see any demerit unless of course if you stuck on the slope which take a toll on your clutch.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it better for the car to drive 7 floors up daily as compared parking it in the open?
Personally I would park my car on the 7th floor irrespective of the fact that the open parking is closer to the lower levels make it easier to reach the work building faster. In open parking, there is usually no shade + incase of trees the issue of bird dropping. Not to mention the extra chance of people coming near the car.
blackwasp is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:46   #4
BHPian

Interersting question. I will always choose multi level parking. I wouldn't leave my car in open parking exposing it to the sun whole day! Apart from the damage to the car from regular exposure to sunlight, imagine you want to go out of office at noon and getting inside the car that have been parked under hot sun for hours. Also open parking means more dust settled on the car at the end of the day leading to frequent car washes.
Flyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the 2, I will always prefer Multi-level or a basement parking mainly because there's always cover for my car from rains, sun & dust.

My current workplace has 2 levels of parking for each floor and the building is 9 floors. So essentially 18 levels of parking!

I am usually in by 0715 and park right at the lowest level as this is also closer to the floor I work from. Anything after 1000 means you will have to drive at least 4-5 levels. If I take the car out for lunch, It is guaranteed that I will end up parking on the top floors.

Additionally, there are those bone breaking plastic humps as you descend each floor and right at the descent ramp's apex and that means passing over this hump is a 1 tire at time affair due to its angle and I would hate to do that for even 2 floors.

For some reason If I take my car out or late, I park at the open parking and compromise for a day.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 13:51   #6
BHPian

Multi-Level parking any day.

Open parking means, sun, dust, thundershowers and not to mention the outside chance of fallen trees on the car (happened in our office where 3 cars were damaged).
If basement parking is not available, I rather park in a paid parking where I know that my car would be safer than being exposed to the elements and other characters who like to simply carve their names on the body of the car using keys (Yes, happened to me once )
get2bid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it better for the car to drive 7 floors up daily as compared parking it in the open?
For me, this is no brainer. My first preference is always covered parking, multi-level or otherwise. I always try reach office early to get into covered multi-level parking. Since, the floors are limited compared to number of total vehicles on any day, late comers need to park in open. Even in such a scenario, I try to locate some dense strong tree and park under it. But it results in dust, leaves, bird droppings decorating my car.

And this thought isn't restricted to just office. I have been in multiple cities, with rented homes/ flats. Covered/ basement parking is one of the primary criteria for shortlisting of accommodation.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 15:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

If I have a choice, I will always select the one which provides covered parking, irrespective of how far it is from my workplace. I cannot imagine how much of an impact the paint and the interiors will have being exposed to these elements regularly.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'll choose multi-level parking anyday. For a tropical country like ours, imagine sitting in a car holding the steering that's been under the sun all day. This one reason is justification enough, not to park in the open.

One precaution I always take is to enter such parkings is to switch on the headlights.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 19:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Multi-level all the way. I can appreciate the irritating ramps to go up and down but its better for both your car and pocket in the long run.

Only extra advice is to find a series of 'safe' parking slots, such as:
1. Away from turning or reversing points/corners, wider slots (if available)
2. Nicely guarded by pillars/bollards to avoid minor scrapes
3. Away from pedestrian short-cuts (both my cars suffer more in my office parking than outside due to people dragging their bags over the bonnets or scraping the sides)
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 19:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

I guess a lot depends on whether you are going to take the car out only in the evening or if you might have to go out frequently. I would have to go to multiple places and often in a hurry so I would always park in a place where I can exit easily. It makes no sense for me to drive an extra 1-2 kms when I plan to leave in an hour. Hence, I always prefer open parking.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 19:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The multi-level car park is fine; just keep a safe distance from the car ascending through the ramps in front of you.

There was one instance in my office when a 'L' board car in front of me stalled on the ramp and so did I and so did another gentleman behind me in quick succession, all bumper-to-bumper. Power-brakes are no good when the engine's off and not everyone quickly thinks of the hand-brake as an option. Somehow we all made it out without any damage that day!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Just to be able to park my car in covered parking I reach office early in the morning!
I can't have my car standing out in open sun the entire day. Dust, bird poop etc. aside, I fell nauseous in a car that has been baked in the sun. The plastic smell is also not good for health from whatever I have read.

The paint of car also takes hit if the car is parked in open the for prolonged hours everyday.

So it's the covered parking for me. Though I have to walk quite a distance in sun to reach my building, I still prefer sweating it out!
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 10:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Covered parking is always the best options. I used to keep my car in basement parking of my office instead of ground floor parking.
However, this depends on how frequently you are going to use your car during the entire day. If my field visits are planned, I always keep my car on the ground floor.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 12:01   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Multi-level vs Open parking?

Compare two 5-year old cars; one that has had covered parking & the other in the open. The difference is too obvious. Agreed with all BHPians - covered parking is the way to go .

Three more points:

• Multi-level parking can also save your car in the monsoons . Ask me, I know. While most of Mumbai was flooded on 29th August 2017, my car was parked safe at the multi-level parking lot of a corporate where my brother works.

• If there is no one in front of you, it can be fun maneuvering your car up & down the narrow paths. I always have a lot of fun going up or coming down the parking lot @ Phoenix Parel.

• If your office doesn't have a multi-level option, but the open parking is safe / fenced, use a car cover to protect your car.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2018 at 12:03.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks