Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 13:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore: Dedicated channel to report potholes & get them fixed

Thanks to BHPian CrAzY dRiVeR for sharing this information with other enthusiasts!

Bangalore: Dedicated channel to report potholes & get them fixed-potholes.jpg

The development minister of Bangalore has announced a dedicated channel to allow citizens to report potholes to get them fixed. People can report potholes on the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) website. Citizens can also reach the concerned authorities via WhatsApp (9480685700) or phone (080-22660000).

The new system is expected to make it easier for the civic body to attend to this issue. The Municipal Commissioner of the city has told the media that the BBMP was currently working to repair about 50-70% of the potholes.

Potholes become a major headache for commuters especially during the monsoon season. Last year, potholes caused numerous fatalities on the streets of Bangalore.

Source: NDTV

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 15:45   #2
BHPian

re: Bangalore: Dedicated channel to report potholes & get them fixed

Nonsense!

Just 3 months back, before the elections, there was a massive drill to fill the potholes. They even called it as 'international standards' for filling potholes. They did 'white topping, laid sheet roads, built 'road over roads' and also relayed many good roads.

All said, come make a change 'please vote'. I did.

3 months later, a new government, new CM, new Bangalore Minister, new helpline, but same old potholes!

Irony is, people crib of bad road, infrastructure, but still end-up voting the same Govt back. I am not making a political point (its about the Govt irrespective of the party).

Hopefully, if the Govt lasts for full term, during the 4th and 5th year some development may happen.
LoneRidder is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 20:29   #3
BHPian

It is sometimes difficult to spot a road amidst potholes in Bangalore. What for they need this new APP/platform.
New govt, new contractors, new bribes.
Old 18th June 2018, 23:02   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

We've seen innumerable such drives on several occasions in the past and still the root cause hasn't been addressed so it remains a recurring problem.

Potholes appear within a week or so of rains in Bangalore. This has been the case for several years now.

Just a light shower of 20-30 minutes is enough to flood many roads across Bangalore.

When will the quality of public infrastructure projects improve ? The Nexus between all the agencies and administrators is just too strong for anyone to shake them up or change things. Public memory is also short, so it's forgotten quickly. God save us.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The development minister of Bangalore has announced a dedicated channel to allow citizens to report potholes to get them fixed....

The new system is expected to make it easier for the civic body to attend to this issue. The Municipal Commissioner of the city has told the media that the BBMP was currently working to repair about 50-70% of the potholes.

Potholes become a major headache for commuters especially during the monsoon season. Last year, potholes caused numerous fatalities on the streets of Bangalore.

Most of the roads I make use of have more potholes than actual tarmac. And those which do have a nice layer of tarmac are disappearing at an alarming rate thanks to GAIL line, power cabling, BWSSB etc. Apparently these guys are waiting for the road to be relaid before digging it to glory.

Not sure who BBMP is planning to fool.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think it should be exactly opposite. "Report a clean Road". We will fix potholes into it

Seriously, any interior roads within Bangalore have multiple potholes and rarely we see roads.
For my office commute
1. Entire service Road Stretch on Hosur Road is dug for metro work.
2. Entire BTM Layout road (Starting from Jayadeva Flyover till Silk Board is dug for Metro work
Out of 18 Kms stretch from home to office, I think the only neat road stretch is for around 2 kms. Remaining16 Kms is full of pot holes and metro work
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Dedicated channel to report potholes & get them fixed

If they are really interested in fixing the roads, the best way to get the correct data is to ask their officers to take few drives across the city and report. All this is a publicity stunt. I have been reporting issues to this Sahaaya helpline for the last few years and had a very few proper resolutions. Even that involves me calling their officers repeatedly.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

They dig up holes to repair something and leave it without attending to it for months. Maybe they need to work better themselves. People are being paid to work on these issues but they want us to do it on behalf of them ?
Its standard practice to say these things when the government is formed and next when there is a imminent election. There is nothing happening in between :(
Old 19th June 2018, 11:58   #9
BHPian

When a senior manager comes from abroad and asks you in one to one - " How can I help you ?". It's the same situation. First you create the problems (read local middle management) , stop your growth (due to obvious reasons), milk you to the full and ask the question above and this despite knowing everyting whatever is happening on the ground level. Solution offered is monthly engagements, transparency, report your problem kind of forums. This is the exact scene which is being played out here. I came to Bangalore 11 years ago and I still see the same Marathalli mess, silkboard -jayadeva snarls and KR Puram chaos. The traffic on ORR has gone from bad to worst. You can not be sure to leave office at 3pm and reach home under relative peace. We have three agencies in Bangalore running always in staggered formation. BBMP,BWSSB & the Namma Metro. To quote a famous song in Hindi - " Jahan main jaati hun wahin chale aate ho..". If BBMP doesn't get your roads spoiled BWSSB will and if BWSSB couldn't than I am sure Namma Metro will. And, the most staggering point is the fact that every bylane in developing part of Bangalore is filled up with these mini constructions sites where someone or the other is constructing a home/commercial building. What is the first thing which this guy does - If he is rich,create two speed breakers just and before the construction site OR if mentally poor, dug up two lines on the road which will get deeper and deeper over time to ensure by the time his home is ready it will be a full trench. One fine day, BBMP will come and start digging outside your home to give us the beautiful drainage system. Reduce the width of the already existing road and leave a lots of debris once done. If you are lucky, they might add a half a layer of tar but hold on to the real champions of this system, the BWSSB. They will come and start digging right in the middle of the lane on both sides to lay these pipelines and suddenly turn your village looking locality into pristine medival horse riding bylanes from 1700's. Add to that the tractors,regular cabbie intelligence and rains and what you end up with is a never ending slush,jams and few dents on your car. If you happen to live next to Namma metro route than God save you. You will get large construction trucks plying all day long, roads closed through the night and huge craters. But believe me one thing will be consistent - Potholes, speedbreakers,non existent tar and sky high reality prices on these bylanes. One fine day, BBMP comes and fill all these potholes with mud, ticks the box and goes back again. It's back to square zero when an overloaded truck runs over these mudfixes during daytime which is followed by our concrete mixtures and what not."Baat karte hain ki gaddhe bharenge ?" (Showing fake concern to fill these potholes)
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 14:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
We have three agencies in Bangalore running always in staggered formation. BBMP,BWSSB & the Namma Metro. To quote a famous song in Hindi - " Jahan main jaati hun wahin chale aate ho..".
You forgot BESCOM - the most underrated pathetic agency. If at all BBMP and BWSSB collaborate, you will always see the Ford Model A time period electric poles hanging and refusing the road to be widened along with their open transformers who get short even with few drops of rains-
I always remember this song "Anhoni ko honi ker de honi ko anhoni, ek jagah jab jama ho teeno BESOM BBMP BWSSB"

Coming to this pothole initiative - it is definitely not the first and wont be the last. The problem with BLR roads is that it has been dug up left right and centre so often that the base which is required to prepare a good road is gone and if you do an autopsy you will more often find construction debries
What they would have to do is remove and re-lay load thoroughly (I know personally a road which practically remains submerged in rains owing to blocked drains but not giving up) but with so much of traffic, it is not possible
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 08:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Tracking city's pothole issue closely - says Minister.

Quote:
claims the BBMP has filled 4,944 out of the 7,537 potholes reported across the city.
Bangalore: Dedicated channel to report potholes & get them fixed-roa.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th June 2018 at 08:16.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks